Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT sucks. Badly.

DecayingWings

9 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

I did this test myself because the Vox 30 is one of my all time fave amps.

IMO... those were some of the worst examples of AC30 tones I've ever heard... they all sounded thin and brittle to me. I never setup my AC30 (including my real one) to sound like that. 

That aside... I quickly jumped from tone to tone and also guessed wrong. I wasn't looking to pick out the Helix, I was looking for the real amp.... and still ended up picking the Helix.  What these videos do is take away the "amp in the room" sound. Once you do that, modelers (Axe, Helix, Kemper) are all pretty much dead on the money!  

• Like 1

I enjoyed that video! It was an entertaining demonstration, but even more entertaining for the reaction of the guy on the left at the reveal. From “Helix sucks and I hate it” to “Helix sounds great but I still don’t like it due to certain aspects of operating it”. From an emotional and unfounded position to a rational and constructive one. Critical thinking for the win!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, codamedia said:

IMO... those were some of the worst examples of AC30 tones I've ever heard... they all sounded thin and brittle to me. I never setup my AC30 (including my real one) to sound like that. 

That aside... I quickly jumped from tone to tone and also guessed wrong. I wasn't looking to pick out the Helix, I was looking for the real amp.... and still ended up picking the Helix.  What these videos do is take away the "amp in the room" sound. Once you do that, modelers (Axe, Helix, Kemper) are all pretty much dead on the money!  

Yeah it wasn't really how I'd make an AC30 sound either, which I think illustrates a larger point about these kinds of debates too. Often when people debate modelers, they kind of act as if there is some uniform agreement on how a real amp should sound, but there really isn't. Real amps are tweakable too, and we do tweak them considerably. 

That's why if a person plugs in a Helix and on the default settings of the AC30 isn't satisfied with it, that's completely meaningless. It's like plugging into your buddy's AC30 and being shocked that it isn't how you prefer it. Nothing defaults to our personal preferences until we make it so. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Nothing defaults to our personal preferences until we make it so. 

Ahh... but this instant gratification society of ours promises exactly that all day long. Faster, easier, automatic this, that, and the other thing. Tell people that the world is their ash tray often enough, eventually they start believing it. But then reality arrives, and they have to come to terms with the fact that the only things in this life that come fast and easy are old age and bills... everything else is a slow burn.

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2019 at 10:55 PM, cruisinon2 said:

Mostly because of #'s 1 and 3. Prestige is intoxicating. It has been used successfully to sell everything under the sun. Madison Avenue figured that out long ago. A Rolex is thousands of dollars...yet it does the same damn thing as a Timex.

Oh c'mon man...I love Timex's :D

• 1 year later...

I know this is old but it sounds like me when I first got my helix floor. I hated it. I couldn't get a good metal tone to save my life because I was not familiar with it. I was using like I used my digitech rp 500. This is a different type of beast. After watching some videos and doing some research and even borrowing a headrush, I fell in love with my helix floor I can get almost any tone I can think of on the fly using HX edit and the tweaking is endless. This is an amazing sounding processor.

• Like 1

so, no well known artists are using the Helix, eh?

Here's a list from a quick bit of google fu.

Billy Sheehan, Tosin Abasi, Lincoln Brewster, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jeff Shroeder (smashing pumpkins), Herman Li (Dragonforce), Devin Downsend, Jen Majura...  that's just a few.  

I've intentionally not replied to this thread to let it go back to the graveyard it was dug up from, but... since @molul mentioned it--I saw Smashing Pumpkins on the last stop of their tour last year, and their sound was AMAZING. Not kidding, it was the best audio I've ever heard for a rock concert. Now maybe it had more to do with the venue than anything, but their guitars sounded EPIC, and all the levels were so perfectly balanced and crystal clear. I'm not even a big fan of theirs, but they sounded so damn good I was completely enthralled by the whole performance. 

• Like 1