Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2 Topics - Multiple Pages of Stomps? & Midi Missfire

innoremac

Hi All,

First time poster here so please be gentle. I'm also going to get in early and apologise for the bad forum etiquette of two topics in one post but until i receive an approved post this is the only one i get today.

I have just received my Helix and been working through it to put together a configuration that works for me. currently i'm using snap/stomp and using 'mode' to see 8 stomps at once. pressing preset up/down together to see 8 snapshots.

Briefly, I am planning on running the Helix as my single user interface to control :

- Internal Helix effects,

- Effects loop pedals,

- A separate dB11 effects loop extender (midi controlled)

- Bias FX on iPad (midi through usb)

- Onsong on iPad (midi through usb)

So my first question is,

Is there any way to 'bank' through stomps within a preset? As it is possible to load many more than 10 stomps in a single preset, i was hoping there might be a way to cycle through pages of these using the FS1 and FS7 but i can't find it.

The second question is a little more convoluted.

I have midi commands set up through command centre to trigger from FS8-11 and named these (being careful to remove all other assignments from these FS) and that works great to control Onsong through usb midi (previous/next song, scroll up/down). What has thrown me is that if i press 'Preset up and down' together to display snapshots on all 8 FS, i find that the midi commands in FS8-11 are still triggered as i select a snapshot from that row. I was hoping that the snapshot would suspend the momentary midi program change commands under these 4 switches and then re-enable them for use once the snapshot is selected.

Has anyone else come up against this and found a solution?

I don’t have an answer, but I wanted to say that’s a very interesting scenario for midi control. I also have Onsong on an iPad, so I’ll be interested in any solutions you find, and I may want to pick your brain as well. I have a Boss RC-300 loop station I’m learning to control via midi (midi cable), and I just got a Boss DR-3 drum machine that can also be controlled via midi. Thinking I can either connect midi out from the RC-300 to the DR-3, or maybe use midi thru from the RC-300 to DR-3 and send the midi messages from the Helix. Maybe we can help each other figure things out.

So my first question is,

Is there any way to 'bank' through stomps within a preset? As it is possible to load many more than 10 stomps in a single preset, i was hoping there might be a way to cycle through pages of these using the FS1 and FS7 but i can't find it.

In answer to your first question I am currently unaware of any way to "bank" or page through more than one "group" of 10 footswitches. As you are probably already aware of you can assign multiple blocks to the same footswitch.

I have midi commands set up through command centre to trigger from FS8-11 and named these (being careful to remove all other assignments from these FS) and that works great to control Onsong through usb midi (previous/next song, scroll up/down). What has thrown me is that if i press 'Preset up and down' together to display snapshots on all 8 FS, i find that the midi commands in FS8-11 are still triggered as i select a snapshot from that row. I was hoping that the snapshot would suspend the momentary midi program change commands under these 4 switches and then re-enable them for use once the snapshot is selected.

The default should definitely be that the MIDI command assigned to a footswitch (not an instant command) should NOT fire when selecting a snapshot. One question, you don't have your MIDI command assigned to an instant command (lightning bolt) as well as a footswitch do you? This will definitely fire off as designed when a snapshot is selected. Snapshot selection fires off MIDI instant commands (lightning bolt) but should not fire MIDI commands only assigned to a footswitch.

Btw, I use OnSong as well on my iPad. Are you using Helix MIDI commands with the PC based version of OnSong or are you using an iPad. If you are using an iPad I am curious how you connected from the Helix to the iPad?

UPDATE: I went and tested this behavior on my Helix and I am not seeing a MIDI command assigned to a footswitch sent when I hit the up&down buttons and select a snapshot. The MIDI command is NOT being sent when I select a snapshot (this appears to be correct behavior) but works just fine from the assigned footswitch once I have the snapshot selected. This is what I would have thought would be the anticipated normal behavior. I should stipulate that I am testing this through the USB connection to my DAW and am not using the MIDI output. I am wondering if you may have something misconfigured, unless you are using the MIDI output and it behaves differently than MIDI across the USB connection.

Only 10 stomps available per preset. 

I thought about using MIDI via USB to control my music as you do with Onsong, but decided against that because I did not want to use up stomps for that. Because of that I purchased the iRig Blue Turn for that. Yes, it is another gadget to throw into the case with my Helix, but it was a better option for me since I extensively use all 10 stomps. 

Only 10 stomps available per preset. 

I thought about using MIDI via USB to control my music as you do with Onsong, but decided against that because I did not want to use up stomps for that. Because of that I purchased the iRig Blue Turn for that. Yes, it is another gadget to throw into the case with my Helix, but it was a better option for me since I extensively use all 10 stomps.

I made a similar decision and got the Pageflip Cicada but I wouldn't mind having the Helix have a couple of presets set up for a page turner backup if the Cicada fails.

Hi All,

First time poster here so please be gentle. I'm also going to get in early and apologise for the bad forum etiquette of two topics in one post but until i receive an approved post this is the only one i get today.

I have just received my Helix and been working through it to put together a configuration that works for me. currently i'm using snap/stomp and using 'mode' to see 8 stomps at once. pressing preset up/down together to see 8 snapshots.

Briefly, I am planning on running the Helix as my single user interface to control :

- Internal Helix effects,

- Effects loop pedals,

- A separate dB11 effects loop extender (midi controlled)

- Bias FX on iPad (midi through usb)

- Onsong on iPad (midi through usb)

So my first question is,

Take a look at this post as well in the event that Onsong is being triggered by an unintended MIDI message being sent. You may need to change the MIDI settings in 'Global Settings'    http://line6.com/support/topic/31267-external-midi-patch-changing/?p=239988

• 3 years later...

Bump. I’m actually in a similar situation. I have the Helix Rack and control in my studio. We have 50 pedals that we are rack mounting to keep for artists. Each rack has a RJM gizmo. And many pedals could use midi control to speed up workflow. It would be great not to have to purchase a mastermind just to get a paging feature for midi foot switches since Helix & Control is our primary control point.   I am looking at the MC8 to pair with the helix to try to remedy this but I would love that feature.