Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix with Studio Reference Monitors

VirtualGuitars

Hello, I've had my Helix for a few months now and have mainly been using it with my Marshall combo tube amp for effects only or as a simple guitar interface with my MacBook Pro and Helix Native.  I am interested in purchasing (2) Gibson Les Paul 8 Reference Monitors which have both balanced TRS and balanced XLR inputs.

As a complete newbie to pro audio and recording in general, it there any advantage to using one interface over the other since Helix offers both outputs?  Please forgive my ignorance, but I literally don't know why you would choose one over the other.

Here is a link to the reference monitors.  Most of the reviews I have read are very positive plus the price is right (much lower than MSRP).  http://www.gibson.com/Products/Pro-Audio/2015/Les-Paul-8-Reference-Monitor.aspx.  Please note this is strictly for home use only so I can begin experimenting with amp modeling and the other features that the Helix has to offer.  Thank you!

Back%20LP8.jpg

Actually, unbalanced cables are TS (tip/sleeve). BALANCED cables are TRS. I don't think it matters, TRS would work, but they generally cost more.

Well I wasn't sure since the XLR and TRS connections are shared.  It says "Balanced" on the back, so I wasn't sure.  I am definitely a greenhorn on this stuff!

With those XLR/TRS combi jacks it really doesn’t matter which connection you use. The TRS and XLR parts of the jack are wired in parallel so they are electrically equivalent.

As mentioned previously, going XLR from the Helix will give you a balanced connection, while 1/4†will not. Whether you need a balanced connection depends on your environment and the length of cable run, but in a studio situation it probably won’t make much difference.

If it were me, I would probably just use XLR cables. If you do this, make sure the XLR outputs are set to LINE level (not MIC level) in your global settings.

If you choose to use the 1/4†outputs instead, you can use a regular instrument cable. No need for 1/4†TRS cables since the Helix 1/4†outputs are unbalanced anyway. That being said, if you DO use 1/4†TRS cables it won’t create any problems. Since the ring and sleeve will be common at the Helix-end of the connection it will basically be the electrical equivalent of a 1/4†TS connection.

Again, if you use the 1/4†outputs make sure they are set to LINE level (not INSTRUMENT level) in your global settings.

If you’re curious about balanced vs. unbalanced connections you can find some pretty good, detailed explanations here:

https://www.presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/Balanced-Unbalanced

Typically connections between balanced an unbalanced hardware only become problematic when connecting a balanced OUTPUT to an unbalanced INPUT (the opposite of your situation).

• Upvote 1

With those XLR/TRS combi jacks it really doesn’t matter which connection you use. The TRS and XLR parts of the jack are wired in parallel so they are electrically equivalent.

As mentioned previously, going XLR from the Helix will give you a balanced connection, while 1/4†will not. Whether you need a balanced connection depends on your environment and the length of cable run, but in a studio situation it probably won’t make much difference.

If it were me, I would probably just use XLR cables. If you do this, make sure the XLR outputs are set to LINE level (not MIC level) in your global settings.

If you choose to use the 1/4†outputs instead, you can use a regular instrument cable. No need for 1/4†TRS cables since the Helix 1/4†outputs are unbalanced anyway. That being said, if you DO use 1/4†TRS cables it won’t create any problems. Since the ring and sleeve will be common at the Helix-end of the connection it will basically be the electrical equivalent of a 1/4†TS connection.

Again, if you use the 1/4†outputs make sure they are set to LINE level (not INSTRUMENT level) in your global settings.

If you’re curious about balanced vs. unbalanced connections you can find some pretty good, detailed explanations here:

https://www.presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/Balanced-Unbalanced

Typically connections between balanced an unbalanced hardware only become problematic when connecting a balanced OUTPUT to an unbalanced INPUT (the opposite of your situation).

Thank you, TB413!  That is immensely helpful.  I certainly appreciate you explaining it.

Get some pads for the studio monitors, its surprising how much of a difference it makes and they're cheap.

You could even find stands to go next to your desk to save you the trouble of buying a new desk. 

Surprisingly enough there are pads already on the bottom on these studio monitors.  I may just leave them here on my desk.  The base of these are over 12x12 which is bigger than the base plates I have seen on almost all monitor stands (and these are over 30l bs. each).  Plus they are at the perfect listening height!