Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best way to connect Helix to dt-25?

Dufrense

Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading my Pod 500x to the Helix. I really am attracted to the Helix for several reasons. However I have read that the Helix aren't connecting to the DT amp as the HD500x is. I have read several threads on this subject, but it's still unclear to me what would be the best way to connect the Helix to the DT. I would like to have all the Helix modelling thru the amp. Is this even possible? Buying a new frfr would be to expensive as the Helix is quite pricey hardware as it is.

Any tips?

Best regards

/Duf

The Helix Floor has a 

AES/EBU, L6 Link

• L6 LINK provides easy digital audio connectivity between Helix and Line 6 StageSource monitors and/or DT-Series amplifiers. Alternatively, digitally connect Helix to your studio equipment via an AES/EBU (110-ohm XLR) cable.

Does it not have the same ability to control the amp models in the DT25 as the HD500?

Does it not have the same ability to control the amp models in the DT25 as the HD500?

Short answer - No

It can send audio over L6Link but there are no menu options for defining the control signals to change the configuration of the DT25. But with a little work and an extra cable it does work - see this thread (including video):

http://line6.com/support/topic/21943-dt-and-helix-midi-how-to-video/

The possibilities are absolutely endless with a Helix.  There are a TON of videos on YouTube that show the different cabling and audio routing methods.  You can use the Ext Amp output to control changing channels, reverb, etc. on an amp, but you won't be able to control the modeling on the amp itself.

No, it does not, even though they are named the same and look the same on BOTH units. One of my "Major" pet peeves because to me it a bit of sale's "bamboozlement",  not to mention using the same trademark name for two totally different working ports "midi control wise".  If Helix didn't sound so good otherwise, I would have dumped it long ago. But it does... And so I am grateful for that...

Thanks for replying!

The linked video really was helpful. Sure it will be a bit more tweaking manually but it works. Also I bet Line 6 will come up with something that will make it even easier eventually.

Thanks again!

/Duf

• 2 weeks later...
Hello again,

Revitalizing this thread :)

Just got the Helix a few days ago. Its really great! Making patches are really a breeze compared to other stuff i used in the past.

I also ordered a PC Midi interface and two midi cables. Efter reading up a bit I plan to use the midi stuff to wipe the channels on the DT Pre-amp to make it non-modelling. 

However the interface was out of stock at the dealer so I am still waiting for that. But then I realized since the Helix got MIDI ports, chances are that the Helix itself could work as a Midi interface

I connected the Helix to a PC with USB. Then I connected The Helix to the DT with midi-cables. Line 6 Helix endad up as in/out Midi Ports in the PC, then I booteded up the DT editor. The software found the DT just fine from what I can tell. 

Is this supposed to work or do I need a stand alone mini interface? I had no success with this setup at all, no changes went through, the DT amp started acting up and switch pentode/tritod and other swiches by itself.

Then I figured I could get started to just use the Helix to setup MIDI commands on some presets (as in the you tube video above). I managed to change channels from A to B. But changeing voicing etc does not appear to work as the lights arent changing (from I to IV for instance). Is there no visual feedback from the DT when changeing voicing for instance? I figure the light should change from I to IV if i make that change through midi commands.

Any tips och thoughts on this?

/Duf

I believe to remember that the DT 'voicing' switch really just selects 1 of 4 program slots on the DT, i.e., If you reprogram the DT to use a different voicing on slot 1 you really cannot visible see what voicing is loaded. You should be able to hear it though ;-)