Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are connection problems now sorted?

Pacemaker1000

Hi guys, I was one of the first Amplifi buyers but sadly had to return it as...well, it just didn’t work properly.

I tried at the time with a number of iOS devices and they ALL failed to maintain a permanent connection with the Amp.

I seem to remember being able to play music, proving a connection was there, but then Amp control would drop. All in all it wouldn’t work as intended.

So, I assume a number of firmware and app upgrades have been forthcoming so is everything now working flawlessly??

Would love to revisit the range

Thanks

I own three Amplifi devices: the 30, FX-100, and the 150. There are certain things I like and dislike about the series. IMO, the lack of a line out on the 30, 75 and 150 is a serious omission.

I don't yet have a lot of experience with any of the three. I use the 30 for everyday practice at home. and have gigged twice with the FX100. I recently bought the 150 used, to give me enough power to play in band practice, but I'm only a substitute guitar player with the band I do sound for, and my opportunities to play with them are very limited.

All of my Amplifi devices are running the latest firmware version, 2.6.0. One of the earlier versions was said to have smoothed out the bluetooth connection issues that may have been responsible for the problems that you experienced. That stated, I cannot in good conscience, boldly state that everything is working flawlessly. I use both the iOS and Android versions of the Amplifi Remote app, and they seem to work equally well for me. They occasionally lose the connection, but I think it's more pilot error than anything else. (still don't have that much experience with them...)

It seems that, once everything is connected and all the tones have been synced/loaded, it is very stable. I often practice along with rehearsal recordings streamed from my phone via bluetooth. This works very well and I experience no dropouts or connection problems doing this. Or I may walk away for an hour or so and leave everything on. Still works when I get back.

I am now VERY LEERY of one aspect of these devices, based upon my own experience and the frequent appearance of other reports of the same issue here in the forum, and elsewhere: failed firmware updates that brick the amplifier. 

I bought my 150 used, and it arrived with the penultimate firmware version. I tried repeatedly to update it via Line 6's recommended procedure, and it failed repeatedly. Eventually, I attempted to do it while talking on the phone, with Line 6 tech support talking me through it and monitoring my results. In each instance, I followed the written or verbal instructions with care and precision. I tried the procedure with 3 different computers, all of which are fully updated, patched and in excellent working order. By the time I'd gone this far, it was too late to try bluetooth, which may have been a better choice, despite the fact that it takes much more time to do it this way than it does via USB and the Line 6 Updater program.

Eventually, the tech agreed that there must be something 'wrong' with my 150, and I had to return it, at my expense, to the factory for repair. Cost me over $110 for shipping. I am grateful that they agreed to correct the problem at no additional cost, but this expense sure reduced my joy at having gotten a good price on a used unit...

I wasn't too pleased when the amp was returned to me without explanation of what was done to fix it -- I had to ask. I was told that they didn't find anything wrong, that they simply did a factory reset and updated the firmware. In other words, they did what I tried repeatedly to do with the expert guidance of a tech support agent. (I didn't mention it earlier, but, yes - I did try the factory reset procedure, too...)

Not boasting, but stating for credibility purposes, that I am very knowledgeable and experienced with computers and hardware. This was not something that resulted in my doing something wrong or having marginal gear. This seems to happen to a lot of users. There's more to this story that I don't know, and, if you search the forum, you'll see other stories much like mine.

Honestly, I would probably not buy one of these again, despite the things that I do like about the series. If they ever come out with another firmware update, I'll think long and hard before attempting to perform it...

• 1 month later...

So, I assume a number of firmware and app upgrades have been forthcoming so is everything now working flawlessly??

Not for me. Amplifi 75 with the latest firmware and iOS app. Both my iPhone and iPad have very spotty bluetooth connectivity. Maybe some of it is interference from other sources, which would explain why it works for some, but if you had trouble before I think you still will.

I think it's mostly the bluetooth chip that Line6 chose and how they implemented it. Right now I'm using a $15 bluetooth receiver dongle plugged into the aux port on the Amplifi for audio playback. The Amplifi audio will cut out frequently from 6 feet away with a clear line of sight, while the dongle plays back fine from the next room through a wall even though it's sitting right on top of the amp. I even opened up my Amplifi to see if I could add a better antenna, but they chose a bluetooth chip with a built in antenna so we're stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

Odd, after an update I don’t have any of those issues; I however do separate the amp from all of my electronics. I keep it away from my PC, and keep my phone and iPad in “Do Not Disturb†to avoid interference. Additionally I keep it away from antennas and stone walls (they can cause an issue with sending and receiving wireless signals), as well as placing the iPad on top of the amp, or the iPhone witching 6 feet and it has never disconnected. What kind of surroundings do you place your amp in? Are there any PCs near it, or WiFi Hubs, or routers? And I’m not sure if you have one, but does your area have a Metallic Roof? Those really wreak havoc on wireless tech.

• Upvote 1

Hi guys, I was one of the first Amplifi buyers but sadly had to return it as...well, it just didn’t work properly.

I tried at the time with a number of iOS devices and they ALL failed to maintain a permanent connection with the Amp.

I seem to remember being able to play music, proving a connection was there, but then Amp control would drop. All in all it wouldn’t work as intended.

Would love to revisit the range

Thanks

I bought the 75 just after it was launched and yes, the BT connectivity was terrible. I lost patience waiting for a solution and so I sold it. I recently took a punt on a used 30 for a good price and updated the firmware. I am pleased to say Line 6 have finally sorted this out. I'm an Android user if that matters.

• Upvote 1

Why would there be issues with a backing-track latency? Even if it would be 2 seconds behind, you wouldn't notice, since that offset is constant :-)

Different if your guitar was hooked up via bluetooth, there latency would be a problem. (If you hit your string, but the sound only comes after a delay)

It would be too easy to blame it on Line6 BT chip alone, there's always two ends to it, and not all devices following the standard. If both are too picky, then it can cause the issues (had problems with my old phone as well, but not just with the Amplifi, also with other devices it wouldn't want to connect from time to time) - thankfully no such issues anymore with my current phone (although that does have trouble connecting to the entertainment system of the car-sharing BMWs...)...

So bluetooth can be a pain in the arse, but at least some things can be improved with firmware updates (and there were some at least). But then comes a new power saving strategy on the devices and causes trouble again....  

• 2 years later...