Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How tough is the Helix LT?

vstrattomusic

Today I was rushing to work and knocked over a small cooking pot which I managed to grab in the air but it's cover flew off and hit the Helix. How protective should I be of this thing? I'm low on money and far from home, and I still have to buy a backpack for it to fly around, so I hope you can understand why I'm so paranoid about this.

I know it's a bit weaker than the normal Helix, specially the pedal from what I've heard, there's lots of info on how tough the Helix is, but I haven't found anything on the LT.

What has your LT survived?

Why is your gear in the kitchen? 😂

The best way to destroy stuff is to be paranoid about destroying it...don't be stupid with it, stop obsessing about it, and in all likelihood, it will remain relatively unscathed...

It's not in the kitchen, I live in a shared flat, so I keep my stuff in my room, the only thing I have for cooking happens to be on a shelf right above my Helix. I've checked before leaving and there seems to be no outside damage, I'll check that the footswitch lights work when I get back. It's just that..screen and the buttons seem so fragile, I don't fully trust it, and the durability praise is for the regular Helix, not the LT. That's why I want to know more about this thing's durability..

If you’re truly worried about the screen, Chad Boston sells a truly bulletproof solution, thick, clear polycarbonate (I think that’s what it’s made of). It looks like it’s at least 3/8†thick from what I’ve seen. Myself, I simply bought a screen protector for an iPad mini, cut it in half and put it on. My estimate of the chances of the screen being hit hard enough to break is low. If I get to where I’m touring a lot, I’ll get a strong case for it, because I think most of the risk is in transit.

I truly wouldn’t worry about the ring lights. They’re LEDs, and not all that fragile. I also kind of expect the unit to eventually get some scratches and dings, that happens to working tools that are well-used. Not gonna worry unduly about it. I have a Boss L2 bag for it, and another one for my RC-300. Should provide enough protection for what I do.

In my experience, the LT is plenty robust as long as you don’t throw it around or drop it from a height. I’ve had mine almost 6 months, and had zero problems.

At home I keep my Helix on a desk so it is not at floor level. You may either want to put it away when not in use, elevate it, or put a cover over it when it is not in use. If it's not laying on the floor, then things can't be dropped on it when it's not being used.