Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

configuring footswitches for multi channel amp setup

nhoven

Hi,

over the last few days I've tried to recreate my discrete live setup in the Helix. I've gotten pretty close with the sounds, but I struggle a little bit with the FS setup for stomp box mode.

I've used two amp blocks, the Twin Reverb and 2204, to create three "channels": The Twin for the clean channel and the 2204 for the crunch and the lead channel. I set up one FS to switch between the amp blocks and one FS to alter the gain and the tonestack as well as adding a low cut EQ-Block before the 2204 for the lead channel. So I have two switches, one engages the dirt amp, one changes its gain and tone. No worries so far, works.

My question: Is it possible to change a footswitch's state via another footswitch? What I would love to be able to: Engage the dirt amp with the "lead" switch, i.e. being able to switch from clean to crunch with one button hit as well as from clean to lead. With the current setup I'd have to step on both the crunch and the lead switch, which works of course, but in a live situation it's an unneccesary uncertainty factor.

I know it's not possible to assign the bypass state to more than one FS. Is there any imaginable way around this (in stomp box mode; I know it works with snapshots) and "activate" the other FS along with the lead switch? Like controlling the FS state via another FS?

Another scenario where this would be nice to have is controlling a midi enabled amp, where you would have one button per channel with the led indicating the active channel. So, have 3 PCs on 3 footswitches, step on one, led lights up, the other two go off. create exclusive botton groups, I guess.

Any of this possible in any way? Any ideas?

Thanks!

I have two amps with two channels each.  I'm using the Ext Amp out and an assigned button to switch channels on my first amp.  I am  ordering two Mission Engineering pedals that have built-in foot switches even though the Helix can't use them.  My plan is to use the foot switch out on one of those pedals to change the channel on my second amp.  Both of my amps use a TS cable to change channels, so it should work.  I'll know in a few days.

Maximum freedom of choice B) . I don't want to "waste" a snapshot for a simple amp channel change; for me the snapshots are for the big, radical changes - like from clean with compression, reverb and delay to bone dry lead with some phasing ;) . But if all a song requires is switching from a clean channel to a lead channel for eight bars, that's hardly worth using a snapshot. Plus, one night I might throw in a subtle chorus for a song, on the other night I might leave the sound "dry". I can't have that creative freedom if I tie my amp channel changes to snapshots. I restrict myself in my sound choices if I rely on snapshots. I'm a stomp mode guy, that's the only reason.

It’s definitely possible to assign one stomp switch to control bypass on multiple blocks. Undoing that tends to be the part I can never remember how to do.

Highlight the dirty block, bypass block, touch the FS, assign controller OK. Highlight the clean block, make sure it is NOT bypassed, touch the same FS, assign controller OK. The scribble strip will say “multiple†or something like that.

Now when you hit the stomp it’ll bypass one and engage the other.

I generally use my set up exactly as the OP described, and I also prefer to be in Stomp Box Mode too.  But for what you are describing, Snapshots is the best solution.  I get that it isn't using snapshots to its maximum potential, but it will do what you are asking.  Have you thought about using the Snap/Stomp layout so you can have snaps change your amps and gain staging and still have individual stomp control on the bottom?

The other way I've seen mentioned somewhere on this forum was to assign midi control to do this for you and patching the helix midi out to its own midi in.  I've never done it, but just wanted to throw the idea out there if snapshots option doesn't float your boat.  It might more freely assignable, but seems like a roundabout version of snapshots and would eat up more footswitches.

It’s definitely possible to assign one stomp switch to control bypass on multiple blocks. Undoing that tends to be the part I can never remember how to do.

No, my issue is the other way round: Controlling the bypass state of one block from multiple sources. Which is impossible (for good reasons, I guess).

I generally use my set up exactly as the OP described, and I also prefer to be in Stomp Box Mode too.  But for what you are describing, Snapshots is the best solution.  I get that it isn't using snapshots to its maximum potential, but it will do what you are asking.  Have you thought about using the Snap/Stomp layout so you can have snaps change your amps and gain staging and still have individual stomp control on the bottom?

Not really. As I said, I use snapshots for the big changes, i.e. for fundamentally different sounds within one preset, for specific sounds in different song parts. To do so I set the snapshots mode to discard. If I use snapshots for amp channel changes, whatever stomp changes I made will not be remembered on a snapshot change. At least that's how I understand it.

The other way I've seen mentioned somewhere on this forum was to assign midi control to do this for you and patching the helix midi out to its own midi in.  I've never done it, but just wanted to throw the idea out there if snapshots option doesn't float your boat.  It might more freely assignable, but seems like a roundabout version of snapshots and would eat up more footswitches.

That's actually a neat idea. I'll play around with that.

In general I guess I'll get used to having to press two buttons. Would have been nice if there was some trickery I wasn't aware of, but... well :rolleyes:.

Thanks!