Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix let me hanging at gig

jackwagner

I had a gig on Friday and my Helix Rack/Control let me down. I use just 1 preset with this particular band and switch between 4 snapshots. Here's an overview of my preset:

Path 1A: Guitar In -> Distortion -> Amp -> IR -> EQ-> Volume -> XLR Left Output (Bass guitar to Stage Monitor)

Path 1B: (via SPLIT from Path 1A after IR) -> EQ-> Volume -> XLR Right Output (Bass guitar to FOH via DI box)

Path 2A: Guitar In -> Pitch Wham -> Amp -> IR -> Volume -> 1/4" Output (Guitar to FOH via DI box)

Path 2B: (via SPLIT from Path 2A before Pitch Wham): -> Pitch Wham -> Merge back to path 2A before Amp

The 4 snapshots are:

Snap 1 = Paths 1A and 1B are active

Snap 2 = Paths 1A, 1B, 2A are active

Snap 3 = Paths 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B are active

Snap 4 = Paths 2A and 2B are active

I have used this preset in this configuration for about a month at rehearsals with no issues. But at the gig, none of the snapshots worked properly. When I booted the Helix my desired preset was selected. I switched to a different preset then back and snapshot 1 seemed to work. At least for a little while. It seemed to get stuck in Snapshot 3 mode where all paths were active. I didn't have a lot of time to troubleshoot there so I just adjusted it to Snap 1 mode and left it.

I really have no idea what happened. As far as I can tell, it was connected the same way I do it at rehearsal.

--jack

When you say none of the snapshots worked properly, what do you mean exactly? You weren't getting signal at the respective outputs or things weren't muted the way you were expecting?

Well, that's a pretty complex setup with a lot of things to troubleshoot, but if I had to suggest a place to start, I would look at the way you have your EXP Position settings in the Global Settings menu.

It looks like you are using your left and right XLR channels for different instruments (bass & guitar), essentially leveraging the fact that you can route the stereo XLR outputs as separate mono channels. Is it possible that for example the right XLR channel had a bad cable or was not plugged all the way such that everything started summing to mono out of the left XLR channel? That would be the default behavior for only the left XLR output being plugged in and might make it appear as if the snapshots were misbehaving.

When you say none of the snapshots worked properly, what do you mean exactly? You weren't getting signal at the respective outputs or things weren't muted the way you were expecting?

Well, that's a pretty complex setup with a lot of things to troubleshoot, but if I had to suggest a place to start, I would look at the way you have your EXP Position settings in the Global Settings menu.

What I mean is that when I switch from snapshot 1 to 4, for example, I can still hear the output from the XLRs. I expected to get signal just from the 1/4" out. Other snapshot configurations didn't work as expected either. For example, snapshot 1 should be bass only, but I could still hear the guitar.

I don't know what the global EXP setting is. Haven't touched it. I don't have an expression pedal (Rack module and Control).

--jack

It looks like you are using your left and right XLR channels for different instruments (bass & guitar), essentially leveraging the fact that you can route the stereo XLR outputs as separate mono channels. Is it possible that for example the right XLR channel had a bad cable or was not plugged all the way such that everything started summing to mono out of the left XLR channel? That would be the default behavior for only the left XLR output being plugged in and might make it appear as if the snapshots were misbehaving.

I use XLR left (Bass) for my on stage monitor. XLR right (Bass) goes to FOH via a DI box. The 1/4" output is the "guitar". I made sure that the cables were plugged in properly.

What I did to "fix" it was to set the volume of Path 2A to 0 (that's the 1/4" Left output) and did without the simulated "guitar". I'm really not sure what happened. I use this preset for rehearsals without issue.

--jack

Is it working properly at the rehearsal space again or has the problem persisted? 

Snapshot 1 did not work properly when I got it back home. BUT, that could have been an artifact of some of the troubleshooting I did at the gig. I fixed that snapshot and all is well at home.

I really don't know what to make of this. But for now, the band is on the back burner, so I don't have a need for snapshots with my other bands. On to other issues (Pitch Wham)...

--jack

Snapshot 1 did not work properly when I got it back home. BUT, that could have been an artifact of some of the troubleshooting I did at the gig. I fixed that snapshot and all is well at home.

I really don't know what to make of this. But for now, the band is on the back burner, so I don't have a need for snapshots with my other bands. On to other issues (Pitch Wham)...

--jack

Did you recently update to 2.3 and maybe the global settings for snapshots save/discard got changed?