Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 69 Mods

Hi. I've been reading through the forums and trying to wrap my head around a couple of JTV 69 mods before I go in on them. I have the 69 in black with the black pickguard. Essentially I'm trying to make the entire guitar black and make this unique guitar truly stand out. So far here are my thoughts and I'd love to hear feedback/advice from folks that have done some of these things.

1) replace black pickguard with white trim with an all black pickguard. (greasygroove?)

2) put black pickup covers without holes on SSH pickups (need info/feedback on holeless pickup covers and replacing them on JTV)

3) replace chrome 69 knobs with black 89 knobs 

4) replace chrome tuners with hipshot black tuners

5) this last one I'm especially ignorant about-replacing bridge/or painting it black?

Any help you can offer or input woudl be awesome. The guitar is out of warranty and I've read a bunch on this forum already. Thanks if you have some info. I'd love to post some pics when it's finished.

Don't do number five. In general, any mod that alters the functionality of the

guitar, voids any warranty. Messing with the bridge can alter functionality, 1 thru 4 doesn't.

Don't mess with the bridge.

Be very careful messing around under the pick-guard, this is not some guitar

with passive electronics like the usual guitars out there.

Hi. I've been reading through the forums and trying to wrap my head around a couple of JTV 69 mods before I go in on them. I have the 69 in black with the black pickguard. Essentially I'm trying to make the entire guitar black and make this unique guitar truly stand out. So far here are my thoughts and I'd love to hear feedback/advice from folks that have done some of these things.

1) replace black pickguard with white trim with an all black pickguard. (greasygroove?)

2) put black pickup covers without holes on SSH pickups (need info/feedback on holeless pickup covers and replacing them on JTV)

3) replace chrome 69 knobs with black 89 knobs 

4) replace chrome tuners with hipshot black tuners

5) this last one I'm especially ignorant about-replacing bridge/or painting it black?

Any help you can offer or input woudl be awesome. The guitar is out of warranty and I've read a bunch on this forum already. Thanks if you have some info. I'd love to post some pics when it's finished.

There are probably Graphtech Ghost Piezos to replace the stock Baggs ones - I have upgraded using these on a couple of older variax models, but others here in this forum would know for sure. You could search for "graptech ghost", within.

As for painting the bridge plate - I guess it'd work - probably need to sand it back for metal paint to really take though....

Gosh

I would say don’t do nothing just concentrate on playing/learning music when you have the time . All this stuff won’t make you more musical nor make your music sound more interesting (ok its a matter of opnion on this one) on a positive note, perhaps it will change your stage looks by 5% which would really be noticeable if you do big shows ....so........why..........

IF you were to do ANYTHING to the bridge remember that the piezos have to have a very good contact with the bridge. That's how it is grounded. It completes the circuit. So if you were to, for example, paint it, make absolutely sure you get NO THING in the cavity the piezo rests in. If you do that, I'm pretty sure you'll be OK painting it. Replacing it would not be a short pleasant task. The only other bridge I am aware of with a trem bar would be what's on the JTV89F. It is black but considering how much it would cost to rout out the guitar and set it up, you would be better off getting a JTV89F. There is no JTV69 black replacement bridge, only chrome,

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/253911-Line-6-50-04-0066?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxd2D-MnS2AIVgbbACh0hmwy_EAQYASABEgIKavD_BwE