Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best way to Record with Pod x3 live

Daverock7

Hi, I want to start recording in a professional level and I've been using this pedal for 8 years a I have a decent live sound just connecting directly to a console through a xlr. I want to upgrade later maybe with a helix, but for now that s what I have.

I feel a little bit out of date and I will appreciate a lot if you guys help how to best record in this pedal to send my audios to a professional studio.

One of my questions related to this is if I have to buy an interface to get a better sound.

What I have right now is Studio One for the DAW, with a mac book air,  usa telecaster guitar and a hod rod deluxe amp.

If you guys can give a list of things to do It will be awesome, cheers

You can use the X3 Live as your audio interface - no need for another one. Connect it your Mac via USB and configure your DAW to use the X3 Live and its ASIO driver as your audio device. Consult the X3 Live manual for details on how to use/select the audio channels over usb within your DAW.

You can record direct using the X3 Live amp models with your guitar connected to the X3 Live. If you want to connect your guitar to your hot rod deluxe amp and record it you will need to mic the amp and connect your mic to the X3 Live mic input.

Thanks very much for your answer! I will try connecting the pedal through usb and download the ASIO driver and see how it sounds.

I play live for most of the time without an amp and for that cause I think maybe my settings will sound better right now connecting directly through usb. But I guess I have to try miking the amp also and see how it sounds better.

Have you tried connecting the pedal to the computer through an interface using the xlr output of the pedal and comparing the sound quality vs USB? cause I have read that some people have problems through usb connection like latency.

I m kind in a rush cause have to record some parts for a single of my own in a professional studio in the next few days and they think that the best way to record guitars is always through an amp, maybe cause the aren't fans of digital stuff.

So I have to find the best way before they end changing my settings and sound for their prejudice that analog is always better... cause I really like my sound and even think is better than the mayority of people that I've met that use analog pedals 

Have you tried connecting the pedal to the computer through an interface using the xlr output of the pedal and comparing the sound quality vs USB? cause I have read that some people have problems through usb connection like latency.

The sound quality going through another interface depends on the quality and features of that interface, of course, so it's hard to say. But there are a few things to note:

- another interface may not support recording both the dry and wet tone simultaneously as the X3 does.

- using another interface requires additional D/A and A/D signal conversions, each of which can affect sound quality.

- there is virtually no latency using the X3 as the interface and monitoring the sound using the X3 audio outputs.