Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dual Stock Cabs - Share Your Favorites!

Meiannatee

So I've read that using dual stock Helix cabs/dual mics, you can get a much fuller sound, comparable to a good 3rd party IR. Single amp, 2 cabs panned center and blended.

The problem is, with 37 cabs and 16 mics, that's 174936 unique combinations. Then there's also mic distance which has quite a significant effect.

Any vets out there care to share your favorite dual cabs as a starting point for newbies like me? Would be nice if you could specify the following:

-cab model

-mic model

-mic distance

-mix % of cab1/cab2

I can think of a few advantages of using the stock cabs, although I already have quite a lot of IRs:

- simplicity of not having to manage IRs in specific order

- able to do fine tweaks

- easier to share presets

Much thanks in advance!

Freeman got me started on using dual cabs and treating them differently, but he uses IR's mainly. I learned a lot from Jay Sadites about setting up dual stock cabs. I keep a patch that I call the 2 Cab Shell and I use that as a base line for starting a lot of my patches. Depending on the song I might change out the amp or the cabs, but I usually use it just the way it is. There's three snapshots for rhythm, crunch and lead. I just uploaded it to Custom Tone and here is a link if anyone wants to check it out.

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/3573872/

So I've read that using dual stock Helix cabs/dual mics, you can get a much fuller sound, comparable to a good 3rd party IR. Single amp, 2 cabs panned center and blended.

The problem is, with 37 cabs and 16 mics, that's 174936 unique combinations. Then there's also mic distance which has quite a significant effect.

Any vets out there care to share your favorite dual cabs as a starting point for newbies like me? Would be nice if you could specify the following:

-cab model

-mic model

-mic distance

-mix % of cab1/cab2

I can think of a few advantages of using the stock cabs, although I already have quite a lot of IRs:

- simplicity of not having to manage IRs in specific order

- able to do fine tweaks

- easier to share presets

Much thanks in advance!

You may want to mention what type of music you are playing. The combinations will be different from one genre to the next. 

For high gain sounds, I've had luck with the 4x12 XXL V30 almost exclusively (4x12 Greenback is probably the only other one that sees much use, and thats only when I'm getting wild on a Friday night).  One cab pretty much alway has a 57 mic and the other an RE30 mic.  I keep changing the distances, one mic will be set 1-3 inches and the other set 2-6 inches.

For clean sounds I'm either using the Match H30 + Match G25 or the 1x12 US Deluxe + 4x12 Greenback.  Mic is 121 ribbon 95% of the time.

I keep them mixed 50/50, and use the mic distances to make them more/less prominent in the tone.  I always use High cuts (5kHz-7kHz) and low cuts (80Hz-95Hz) wether its stock cabs or IRs.

I definitely favor more modern sounds, I'm mainly a metal goon, and my clean sounds I like not overly pristine (Litigator model all day).

• 3 years later...