Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Level setting with Seymour Duncan Powerstage170

RRMark

Hi, any other Seymour Duncan Powerstage170 users, wondered about your thoughts on gain staging with the Helix. For my Helix presets the clean sound is much the same level as dry through and increased gain snapshots boost gradually from there, my big solo setting goes up a bit but isn't a massive level boost, don't need much in the 3 piece. Generally my levels aren't hot, usb peaking at -10dB on my daw meters. If I take Helix volume control (1/4" instrument level) above halfway into the SD170, delay repeats get a lot louder, presumeably compressing and the sound gets quite hard/tranny. So keeping the Helix on halfway and maxing the SD170 Master Volume. Only had the SD a week, won't be gigging it for a couple of weeks. Any thoughts or pointers?

Hi, any other Seymour Duncan Powerstage170 users, wondered about your thoughts on gain staging with the Helix. For my Helix presets the clean sound is much the same level as dry through and increased gain snapshots boost gradually from there, my big solo setting goes up a bit but isn't a massive level boost, don't need much in the 3 piece. Generally my levels aren't hot, usb peaking at -10dB on my daw meters. If I take Helix volume control (1/4" instrument level) above halfway into the SD170, delay repeats get a lot louder, presumeably compressing and the sound gets quite hard/tranny. So keeping the Helix on halfway and maxing the SD170 Master Volume. Only had the SD a week, won't be gigging it for a couple of weeks. Any thoughts or pointers?

The only sonic issue you are experiencing are with the sound of the delay repeats?

The only sonic issue you are experiencing are with the sound of the delay repeats?

That I notice, not using much FX, and it doesn't really get crunchy but sounds quite pushed, I think the PS170 runs out of pure clean input headroom. A bit surprised at the level I'm sending from the helix. I understood it to be quite transparent.

Simple delay. 1/4 (bpm120ish), mix 12-14 for Rhythm Snapshots, 24-36 Leads. Level flat

The delay repeats should not be breaking up at 36% mix and flat level, especially if your dry tone is not breaking up. That seems very strange to me. 

The delay repeats should not be breaking up at 36% mix and flat level, especially if your dry tone is not breaking up. That seems very strange to me.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well. All i'm saying is that as I increase the output level of the Helix above halfway, the level of the delay repeats increases significantly. So say the delay mix is set to 14% and Helix volume knob is halfway, sounds right through the SD170 comparable to other monitoring, but as I turn the Helix Volume knob up the mix of the delay increases significantly, with Helix volume knob on full it sounds like a mix of 50% though still set to 14%.

Therefore the SD170 input must be compressing the signal from the Helix. Just wanted to check experience against other Powerstage users.

No Major problem can just send less signal to the Powerstage