Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshot-independent effects?

RockManDan

Ok, so here's what I'm trying to do:  Say I have a preset set up with 8 snapshots of varying base tones....(clean, crunch, gain, more gain, clean-chorus, clean-fuzz, etc)  and I want a delay block that i can turn on and off independent of what snapshot im on...is that possible?  Basically I want it to function as if I had a seperate delay pedal sitting next to the helix operating independently.  Like I like i love running in 8Snapshot display mode, and just selecting the tone I want for whatever part of the song needs or depending on my mood.  I have the EXP pedal set up to bring in a 5db boost and add some drive to the kinky boost, AND bring in some global solo-delay all at the same time, so that with one rock of the pedal I can have a SOLO-LEAD version of whatever base tone i'm using.  That part works great, but I'd really love to have a seperate delay uncontrolled by the snapshots.

I tried doing this by having a 2nd delay block, and assigning a footswitch to toggle it's mix from 0 to 20%, so that as im playing, I could temporarily hop over to stomp mode, turn the delay on, then go back to snapshot mode and keep playing/switch. When I get to a song that I'd prefer delay-less, I'd hope back to stomp mode and turn it off.   Unfortunately, it seems that changes made to the mix or effects aren't retained when switching btw snapshots.  I realize that there are two behaviors for this, where if I turn the delay on when on my crunch SS, it'll save that way and remember it when i come back, OR it'll discard that save and revert to its original state when i leave and come back, however what I would LOVE is a way to have the delay effect be turned on manually while I'm on my clean SS and still stay on when i go to crunch or gain (regardless of whether those SS were saved with the delay on), and remain on until I go over to stomp mode to deactivate it.

Basically I'm trying to eliminate having a standalone delay pedal next to the helix, IF there is a way to mimic the functionality.  Any ideas how to do this? Thanks in advance.

-Dan

If you were using an expression pedal instead of the footswitch to control you delay mix like you mentioned above, it would work like the way you wanted as long as you had the EXP Position parameter in the Global Settings set to "per preset" or "global". If you didn't want to use an actual expression pedal, you could get an expression switch, similar to this (the "Switchable Latching TS" version in the pulldown) and set it up as the virtual on/off control for your delay.

• Upvote 1

hmm. thats intruiging. i have several old latching amp footswitches lying around, maybe i'll experiment.

Well, that's not a regular latching footswitch... It's a footswitch that sweeps between two positions on an internal potentiometer.

so I ended up digging out an old zoom exp pedal that ive had since 1998, it went with a zoom 505 pedal i got for my birthday in 10th grade. lo and behold i plugged it into EXP 3 on the helix and it works like a charm to control the delay level, so i'm good. I still would like to figure out global effects though, if nothing else so i could hook up a 3rd exp pedal to use for whammy but not have the whammy in the chain all the time sucking tone.