Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Quick expression pedal question

rsvette12

Hi Guys:

Quick question can I use my rig kontrol 3 to adjust wah or preset volume before purchase of latest version of Helix Native - I can in other programs wondering if I can with Helix native, in demo doesnt appear I can

I am using Mixcraft 7 pro

Would pedal support only be for a standalone version of Helix Native ? 

I would just want to use rig kontrol 3 pedal for volume and moog expression pedal attached to rig kontrol 3 to control a wah

Just saw post on mainstage 3 but I dont use a mac - I am on a PC

Thank you

Found this video got volume to work in Mixcraft but of course on my other expression would luv to control a wah in Helix Native - so far looks like my controllers are only usable for Mixcraft functions not Helix Native - open to ideas guys - thanks 

any pedal that can send out MIDI CC will work for wah or volume control....

Thanks just not sure how to attach it to the wah in helix native to control it - figured out how to assign in mixcraft its self - thats pretty easy

Also upgraded to mixcraft 8 if that matters - looks like vst3 is now supported in mixcraft 8

If you follow the instructions in the Automation/Controller Assign Tab portion of the Helix Native Pilot's Guide (user manual), and the info in that Mixcraft video on MIDI control, I would think things should work. Communication should flow like this: MIDI Controller <---> Mixcraft <---> Helix Native. So, in this case, for simple control you usually assign the Wah "exp toe" parameter to a knob, and make sure the assigned MIDI CC number is also used by your controller. Mixcraft should just pass that through to Helix Native.

Sometimes for troubleshooting, its useful to use a MIDI monitor utility to "spy" on the MIDI data that is being passed through your system. On the Mac, I use "MIDI Monitor." Not sure what's useful on PCs. 

Sorry I can't help more, but MIDI troubleshooting is tough unless I have the same stuff (controller, DAW, PC) that you do. But the basics are the same. You might also try the Mixcraft forums.

There's some deeper info on Helix wah control here (for hardware Helix, but similar to Native): http://line6.com/support/topic/25440-whos-having-luck-with-exp-position-bypass-for-wah/

• Upvote 1

If you follow the instructions in the Automation/Controller Assign Tab portion of the Helix Native Pilot's Guide (user manual), and the info in that Mixcraft video on MIDI control, I would think things should work. Communication should flow like this: MIDI Controller <---> Mixcraft <---> Helix Native. So, in this case, for simple control you usually assign the Wah "exp toe" parameter to a knob, and make sure the assigned MIDI CC number is also used by your controller. Mixcraft should just pass that through to Helix Native.

Sometimes for troubleshooting, its useful to use a MIDI monitor utility to "spy" on the MIDI data that is being passed through your system. On the Mac, I use "MIDI Monitor." Not sure what's useful on PCs. 

Sorry I can't help more, but MIDI troubleshooting is tough unless I have the same stuff (controller, DAW, PC) that you do. But the basics are the same. You might also try the Mixcraft forums.

There's some deeper info on Helix wah control here (for hardware Helix, but similar to Native): http://line6.com/support/topic/25440-whos-having-luck-with-exp-position-bypass-for-wah/

Thanks Buddy :) as soon as I get home from owrk will poke around some more I assigned a switch in helix maybe as you noted I should pick a knob ? as for spy program rig kontrol 3  has that to help me identify what pedal has CC number - thank you much - will report back - hopefully with good news :)

yeah, use a Knob controller for things that use a range of control values (like a knob you would turn for a level setting, or a volume/wah pedal), and a Switch controller for things you would just turn on or off (like a foot switch).

• Upvote 1

yeah, use a Knob controller for things that use a range of control values (like a knob you would turn for a level setting, or a volume/wah pedal), and a Switch controller for things you would just turn on or off (like a foot switch).

Awesome give it a go - off to fight traffic home :(   thank you much

Hi Sounddog

Got close had to add 2 automation layers in Mixcraft in the guitar layer and assign helix numbered knobs 1 for volume and 1 for wah

Got to pedals to work wah and volume - but volume adjustment did make much of a difference in throw of pedal - min to max volume was very slight - you could see a small line moving up and down in that automation layer but as stated not much difference in loudness also saw slider settings in helix going from min to max just sound difference was slight

As for wah - wah seemed to be on all the time but more prominent as you push down the pedal to max - maybe thats how it works and you would need to assign a switch to shut it on and off not just relying on pedal backed off all the way - no biggie - thought I would pass on my progress - thank you

Just got a reply from Line6 support

Helix Native has no direct MIDI support yet (it will later this year), but your DAW may have MIDI-to-automation capabilities as a band-aid in the meantime.

For no support its pretty darn close imagine when it does have support - later this years is not the best news - but at least its coming :)

Ah, I shoulda known. Logic (which I use) does have MIDI-to-automation. At least you are close! A Helix Native update is expected within a few weeks, so hopefully they will add the direct support...

Thanks :) appreciate your help - yup was close no biggie thanks for the heads up on update