Sign in to follow this  
StruckingFuggle

Want to hear tone cut through?

Not Helix related, but have a listen to Mr. Gilbert in the middle.  It's like a hot knife through butter.  This is the kind of tone I want!

Paul has had a nice tone the last couple of years, especially since he switched to single coils in stead of high output humbuckers. But truely both Phil and Joe sound on the low end of mediocre in this video, so Paul stands out and seems to be a little louder in the mix.

Sounds great to me! Lots of mids and not too much gain, especially when compared to Joe’s scooped tone. BTW, I would love to wake up one morning and be able to improvise as “mediocre†as Paul or Joe!!!

It also seems to be recorded on a phone, so it is not a true representation of the actual live audio. 

Paul Gilbert is a giant among giants, no doubt. Tough to say how much of it was a function of the recording, but it is certainly a good example of “less is more†with gain and compression. Phil all but disappeared!

Sounds great to me! Lots of mids and not too much gain, especially when compared to Joe’s scooped tone. BTW, I would love to wake up one morning and be able to improvise as “mediocre†as Paul or Joe!!!

Of course I was talking about guitar tone, not their abilities ;-)

The phone is also inline with Paul's amp. Joe's amp is all the way in the back explaining his less 'in your face' sound (aside from his more violin-like tone of course). But I wouldn't call it mediocre.

Never mind all that. I listened to what Paul and the guy farther away played. Wow! Both so melodic and thoughtful in what they chose to play. Paul’s playfulness was completely awesome!

High frequency mids with some highs and you'll cut.  As long as there's a spot in the mix for you.