Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix & Relay G70 with an active pickup guitar

VirtualGuitars

Hello, I have owned my Helix for about 3 months and I absolutely love it!  I also own a Relay G70 wireless system and it has been working great along with my Helix.  The Helix owner's manual indicates that you should use the "AUX IN" jack for any guitar equipped with an active pickup like a Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton signature model.  My question is does it really matter what jack the Relay G70 plugs into if I am using a guitar with an active pickup?  The Relay G70 also serves an ABY switcher and direct box, so I do have multiple output options to work with if needed.  Just curious if it matters or not.  I certainly don't want to damage the Helix.  It would be nice to not worry about this when I switch to different guitars.  Thank you!

The wireless kit acts as an active buffer which can be plugged into any of the inputs. The AUX input is fine for the G70 as is any other input. The input impedance function won't affect your pickups because the wireless kit is effectively buffering the signal. 

Whether or not your guitar has active pickups won't make any difference once it's gone through another buffer (ie. the wireless kit). The reason they comment on active pickups is probably because there is a little more headroom in the AUX input as it doesn't have to process ultra small passive input signals. It might be a bit quieter for this reason too. That doesn't mean you have to. As long as the active pickups don't have such a massive output signal that the digital input clips at full scale, the guitar input should be fine. If it sounds good with heavy strumming and doesn't have any nasty digital distortion, then you're good to go.

• Upvote 1

The wireless kit acts as an active buffer which can be plugged into any of the inputs. The AUX input is fine for the G70 as is any other input. The input impedance function won't affect your pickups because the wireless kit is effectively buffering the signal. 

Whether or not your guitar has active pickups won't make any difference once it's gone through another buffer (ie. the wireless kit). The reason they comment on active pickups is probably because there is a little more headroom in the AUX input as it doesn't have to process ultra small passive input signals. It might be a bit quieter for this reason too. That doesn't mean you have to. As long as the active pickups don't have such a massive output signal that the digital input clips at full scale, the guitar input should be fine. If it sounds good with heavy strumming and doesn't have any nasty digital distortion, then you're good to go.

I figured as much, but I thought I should ask anyway just to be sure.  Thank you, jnysen!