Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Speaker/amp choice for POD HD?

garbanzo

How do you members get the max from the POD in a live amp/speaker setting? I find that when I use the POD as a sound card and record I get a different sound than I do when playing live through my speaker amp set up shich is a Gallien Krueger (bass amp) MB 200 and a Eminence bass speaker with a open back.

I know that my amp/speaker colours the sound. So the essence of my question is what is a good speaker choice that allows for a sound like I record with, or can hear with headphones on? I guess we a talking about a neutral speaker that reproduces POD signals without colouring the signal too much. I am sure that many have wondered about this and tried different solutions, what have you had for results and conclusions?

Thanks

garbanzo

The ultimate goal is to be using the same PA that you play through as you do creating sounds. 

Short of that.... 

Look for things labeled FRFR. Maybe buy some studio monitors. Many keyboard amps are useful. Acoustic guitar amps are often good, but not if you are playing bass.

Samick had a series called MASS, which was a small pa system in a combo amp design. Much better than using "pa on a stick".  

Maybe you can skip the amp and go direct to the pa, then get fed back through the same monitors that the vocals and keyboards use - or some personal in ear monitors instead of the wedge monitors that make for good foot rests for doing rock star poses.

See, if you go direct to the pa, then you can even use your current rig to hear yourself. Sure, the tone will be different than what the crowd hears, but that's ok because the crowd is hearing what they are meant to hear.

Of course, the other thing to consider is... 

How do you know that it isn't your computer that is coloring the sound? 

Is your pc setup for Full Range Flat Response? If not, you aren't going to hear the same tone if you get one of the above solutions. 

Thanks pianoguyy! Your second reply had not occured to me! I am not even sure I know how to set my pc up for a full range flat response, any tips?

Prehaps I should have added that I play guitar, a telecaster, through the rig outlined above. I have only just gotten acquainted witht he concept of FRFR speakers and am presently trying to get my feet wet in the subject. I am trying to get a reasonable idea as to how much my rig, contra a FRFR rig influences the sound output. I have a particulay sound in my head that I want to produce, and have thus far not been sucessful in that endevor. Ja, I know the "sound in the head" thing is difficult at best to emulate, even though I think there are lots of us that have tht method of working with a POD or a Helix or what ever it is.

Another related question if I may, how can I know that a studio monitor, an acoustic guitar amp, or a keyboard amp is flat enough? Amps that are specifically built as such, FRFR, I believe are labled as such, are they not?