Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT with mixer for extra I/O and newbie questions?

FBlackburn

Hey everyone,

I am considering getting a Helix LT or Helix with a powered speaker (probably a Yamaha DXR12 or something similar) but I am not entirely sure if I need the extra inputs and outputs of the regular Helix in comparison to the LT and I do not know much about audio routing and I/O.

1. If I wanted to use the Helix LT for vocals or more inputs in the future could I connect a small mixer or something to use the Helix's effects?
  2. How do you know if a powered speaker, such as a Yamaha DXR12, is FRFR and loud enough for use? I'm having a hard time being able to tell if one speaker would be enough having never bought a powered speaker before. I am used to my 15w 2x12 tube amp and how would that compare in volume? Also kind of hoping that I can use the DXR12 with my keyboard (Yamaha P115) too.

I've been playing guitar for over 10 years but haven't had any effects or reverb since my Carvin SX200 solid state amp died ages ago and I replaced it with a single channel Egnater Tweaker 15w tube amp. The last modeler I had while ago was the Line 6 TonePort UX2 and it sounds like modelers have definitely stepped up the game! After following the new Helix videos on YouTube for a while I am hoping that the Helix or something equivalent will bring some excitement and inspiration to my guitar and bass playing hah!

Thanks everyone!

You didn't really specify if this is for home studio work or live.  For studio work there's no question you would be MUCH better off with a full Helix as all of the connections you would ever need are right there for guitar, vocals, keyboard, bass, etc.  I have one in my studio and one for live work.  In the studio I leave everything plugged in..guitar, keyboard, vocal mic, headphones...and just change the preset depending on what I'm recording.  There's just nothing easier.

Live I use a DXR12 as my monitor.  The same thing applies in that I can keep my guitar, acoustic, keyboard, and vocal mic plugged in and simply manage them within the preset.  So going from a typical rock guitar song to a keyboard based song is nothing more than changing the preset and start playing.

I've personally never felt lacking with just the DXR12 in any venue we've ever played and that goes from a club that seats maybe 180 people to indoor concert setups with maybe 2000 seats as well as outdoor events.  Bear in mind, unless it's a smallish event or venue I go through the PA so the DXR has to only keep up with the stage sound, but that's never been a problem even on the largest stages.  We're a 7 piece band and I never have my DXR12 volume turned up more than  12 o'clock and I've never turned up my Helix master above 12 o'clock either.  Most of the time I keep my Helix master at around 11 o'clock.  My impression is that if your DXR12 is getting buried by other instruments on stage you need to find another band with more professional musicians that know how to manage their volume and blend together better.

You have to put things in perspective.  There are MANY bands and DJs that use the DXR12 as their FOH speakers, so it's more than capable of working as a very powerful monitor.  I have a DXR12 dedicated to my guitar, but we have three other DXR12's we use as our standard stage monitors.

• Upvote 1

The DXR speakers can get thunderously loud, if needed. I chose the DXR10 over the DXR12 for the lighter, and more compact size, and I run two for a fuller and wider sound field, regardless if running Stereo. I do not run them very loud, typically at their Noon Volume setting.

Even the lighter DBR speakers sound very good and Yamaha is running a Rebate Promo on them currently. See Yamaha's site for details. 

As for the Helix, I do appreciate the additional I/O and features of the Floor over the LT. Nonetheless, you certainly could run a mixer to accommodate more Inputs to feed to the LT's FX Returns. I you were to do so with the Helix Floor or Rack (each of which have the 1/4" AuxIn and XLR In plus 2 more FX Loops than the LT) would still be more flexible.

Also, should Helix Native be of any use to you, it's discounted price for Helix Floor and Rack owners is $99, rather than $299 for Helix LT Owners. 

Either way you go, the Helix is a proven, solid, flexible, feature rich, thriving platform. Have Fun and Happy New Year! 

• Upvote 1

I own the LT, and I also have a Behringer 8-channel mixer I bought earlier. For (home) studio work, I use the LT as my DAW interface (used to use the mixer), and I route the mixer into the FX returns on the LT. For live work, I route the LT’s 1/4†outs to the mixer, and the balanced outs from the mixer into my powered speakers. I can then also add one or more mic’s via the mixer, I can route the mixer’s FX sends to the LT’s returns and vice-versa. Lots of versatility. Lots of possibilities. You’ll hear lots of people telling you that the LT is “less than†and you’ll regret buying it. Hogwash.

• Upvote 1