Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Should I wait for NAMM?

Dufrense

Hello,

I have decided to buy the Helix. But with NAMM coming up soon, should I consider waiting? If for instance Line 6 launches something better i.e Helix 2 ? Or maybe there is no chance of this happening? I don't follow the market rumors much so I have no clue what will come down from Line 6 at NAMM. Any thoughts on this?

/Duf

Well, I can tell you for certain that anything that’s going to be announced at NAMM isn’t going to be a replacement or hardware upgrade to the Helix... The Helix is very much the flagship Line 6 product and will be that way for quite a while yet.

• Upvote 1

And what about summer NAMM? And next winter's, 6 months after that? The next "latest and greatest 'whatever' " is always just over the horizon at this point. Blink, and you'll miss it... and if it's not L6, it'll be somebody else. Technology is marching along at a ridiculous rate now. With this philosophy, you'll be in a constant state of waiting for the next "better" product. It's a great way to save money, but you'll never have anything either...

• Upvote 2

Yep, cru is right. There will always be something newer/leaner/neener/sweeter later on. All companies must move on at some point to make a profit. Computer parts, cars, software, Hell even toilets get updated over time... But waiting for that newest toilet model to finally arrive so's you can take a dump might be a problem eh?  ;)   

Haha yes agreed. Thanks for your input! Actually there were new toilets launched at CES in Las Vegas this week :)

I am just trying to avoid that horribel feeling of buying something expensive with a new model coming out within 14 days.

Thanks again!

/Duf

There is a nominal risk that the Helix units will be superseded by anything from Line 6 at the upcoming NAMM Show. As most Helix dealers have a very reasonable No Questions Asked satisfaction period, should you go with a Helix now and discover something preferable at NAMM, or, feel that Helix fails to suit your needs, simply return it and move on.

Line 6 has already posted (here or on the TGP Forums) that their official announcement of the full details of several new HX level Reverbs, new Amps, and more, comprising Helix platform's next firmware release will be at or around NAMM. No release date has been announced. Nonetheless, it should be in the next several weeks, as Line 6 did mention that their goal was for around NAMM.

Plus, there's always room for another new processor at some point. A helix update or new unit announcement on whatever is good for us, although I can't imagine it sounding better tone wise for the most part. I've also noticed that Fractal has been trying as of late to move the Axe FX 2 XL+ by discounting it from $2149 to $1799.00. There's a new Axe on its way soon I'm thinking.   All of this is good for us, the guitar player!  :)

The Helix platform still have alot of power for new effects and improvements,

so i think there will be a while untill we see a new Flagship.... when we do, what will be new?

I personally haven’t yet used all of its potensial so other than updating firmware from time to time

i will not be in any need for a new unit, wanting one is a another question......

I personally haven’t yet used all of its potensial...

Makes two of us...and realistically, who has? The busiest, and most stylistically well-rounded full time pro would be hard pressed to use everything there is in this box. The attempt alone would be exhausting...

The Helix is so bad@ss!  It's hard to imagine it getting any better.  The only things I would like to see in a future version is a built-in Relay G70 and perhaps an iOS app for minor tweaks to patches - although this would be difficult on a phone or tablet.  I already have a G70 and two Mission Engineering expression pedals.  I am fully dedicated to the Helix!

I`d most certainly buy a Helix 25 watt amp like the Amplifi but with some tubes in the poweramp... Of course it would have to be FRFR and bass friendly...Helix Native compatible and upgradeable via USB. Hahaha. That`d be the perfect modeling amp.

By the way,  10 days for Winter NAMM...

Bring da Diezels!!!

Oh we know!  You hail from planet Tunertron.  :lol:

Many don't know how to get to the planet Tunertron. They say it is a constantly moving target. Others say to ignore the small movements in your calculations, focus on the big movements and you can find it.

My Helix is arriving today.  Excited for it an the new updates/reverbs.  Went from boutique pedals>boutique amp.  Sold most of my pedals to buy the helix and an FRFR.  Hopes are high!

You will not be disappointed.  Just make sure and give yourself some time to learn how to unleash the power and features.  The possibilities are literally endless!

• Upvote 1

First post here.

I had the same concerns as Dufense but for me it was an easy choice because:

1. I´m coming from an HD PRO X so (even when Helix is now notably cheaper than when it was released) the actual HELIX implies a considerable rise in price. Any new hipotetical unit replacing the actual HELIX (even just a newer "version" for example) would cost far more than I´m ready to spend. 

2. I think the quality leap between the HELIX and HD PRO will still be bigger than the HELIX and "any renewed version or unit", so again I probably won´t asume the difference in price.

3. If, against any odds, a new unit replaces the HELIX and it´s worth the price, then you could still resell your HELIX at a very good price.

PD: I just received my Helix Rack today...Helix is so hot right now...Helix.

First post here.

I had the same concerns as Dufense but for me it was an easy choice because:

1. I´m coming from an HD PRO X so (even when Helix is now notably cheaper than when it was released) the actual HELIX implies a considerable rise in price. Any new hipotetical unit replacing the actual HELIX (even just a newer "version" for example) would cost far more than I´m ready to spend. 

2. I think the quality leap between the HELIX and HD PRO will still be bigger than the HELIX and "any renewed version or unit", so again I probably won´t asume the difference in price.

3. If, against any odds, a new unit replaces the HELIX and it´s worth the price, then you could still resell your HELIX at a very good price.

PD: I just received my Helix Rack today...Helix is so hot right now...Helix.

Welcome!  There are a ton of experienced people on here (myself excluded) that can help you with just about anything you run into.  You're going to love it!

I am also upgrading from an older setup, the 500x coupled with DT25. If I can't get the DT to couple well with the Helix (midi setup and config etc) I will sell it and buy frfr. But I really love that amp, hopefully it will work out well.

My bet for NAMM is that L6 will launch new stagescource units. Here in Sweden most retailers are out of stock on the current line and that probably means that L6 and distributors are out of stock awaiting the new units. But who knows:)

Edit: Thomann Europe still have a few in-stock. Stock on DT amps are also scarce, maybe they will even launch new DTs?

/Duf