Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for the best set-up for the Helix

ddmilne

I recently rented a Helix LT. I used a Fender Hot Rod III ias the slave amp to the Helix. Running through the Fender Preamp and tone circuit proved a fata combination. Running throught the AMP in favored using amp models without high gain and effects. I see a lot of infomration about FRFR. I woudl like very much to be proven wrong about the Helix. But So far I havent got the full use out of it without having sore ears trying. I am about to call the store to set this up with a FRFR live monitor. Can anyone suggest a sure thing to be able get great Clean, Mild Overdrive, Crunch and Searing sounds out of this thing to sell me on it. So far , I am not impressed. I get a lot of feddback suggesting I am setting thins up worng, but none have a sure set up to have this work  through a guitar amp. So here I am hopoing for advice with the best system to use to be able to play live with ti.

You need to turn off any amp modeling on the Helix LT if you're going straight into an amp.  If you leave it on, you're essentially sending one amp into another so it will sound terrible and harsh.  Does this amp have an effects loop?  I used to run my Helix Floor straight into my Marshall combo amp for effects only, and it sounded great.  Then I tried for 4 cable method (4CM) which uses the amp's effects loop.  That sounded even better!

Can anyone suggest a sure thing to be able get great Clean, Mild Overdrive, Crunch and Searing sounds out of this thing to sell me on it. 

Not going to happen. If I give you my "sure thing" someone else is going to think it sounds like crap, and vice versa. Helix is not a plug and play piece of equipment. I have had mine well over a year and I am still sculpting my tones. 

If you want a more plug and play friendly rig for a "Great" clean, OD, crunch, and searing, then you may want a 3 channel amp and a few pedals. Or, you just need to keep plugging away with the Helix. The more you learn about it, the more you will find out how to get the tones that are in your head. I assure you, it is not the hardware that is the issue. It is the learning curve for operating the hardware.