Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Acustic Sounds : Jtv Vs Variax300

Yesterday for the first time I could compare my jtv 69 with a Variax 300, in a same pod hd500 and same parameters, and my impressions were: the electric sounds of jtv are really superior, more realistic, but the acoustic sounds of the Variax 300 sounded much better in my humble opinion, I thought the guitars of 300 acoustic softer, less aggressive, more softly, more balanced. I thought the 300 best in the 5 positions of acoustic sounds

the JTV firmware has the latest "HD" acoustic models... if you want the same acoustic models as the earlier variax you would need to roll back to firmware 1.7x

you'll of course lose features and support...

but all the electric models are due to get the same "HD" makeover soon.

the electric models are already the same... the update to the electric models has not been released.

you will of course lose some functionality and fixes... but for the most part it will be equivalent to the 300 so if that was good enough then you're golden.

*some of that functionality is the ability to use the variax as a expression/controller.

and an example of a "fix" would be the improved pam muting would be gone back to variax 1st gen levels.

the physical instrument of course affects the sound... but very mildly when you are playing the same basic underlying model....

heck if they both sounded 100% identical... the feel would affect my playing and create slight differences...

it's no harm to try it, i personally would just get used to the new acoustics :) i mean i wouldn't want to miss out on whatever comes next.

they aren't likely to change them again... just released them in 1.8x and tweaked them a little after that.

who knows though... the new version of workbench coming with update 2.0 may allow us to make adjustments...

as near as possible... still the physical guitar to factor in... but yeah the models would be the same... you'd of course be able to alt tune them on the fly unlike the 300

This. I believe any difference is sound is due to the different piezo pickups between the JTVs and V1 Variaxes.

There have been some complaints about the new JTV HD acoustics since they add some room ambience to the actual emulation.  Since this cannot be removed some users preferred the previous sounds.  Also don't forget to play with your tone knob as this will control the compression and (I think) the microphone position relative to the sound hole.  (Simulated)

I think the line 6 could give us the chance to choose which firmware to use, but without losing the improvements of the new updates

will never happen...

you can run the older or the newer your choice, but they aren't going to offer custom firmwares.

• 3 years later...

There have been some complaints about the new JTV HD acoustics since they add some room ambience to the actual emulation.  Since this cannot be removed some users preferred the previous sounds.  Also don't forget to play with your tone knob as this will control the compression and (I think) the microphone position relative to the sound hole.  (Simulated)

This is the comment I've been looking for! I have a new JT89f and my old frankenstein 300 has more usable acoustic sounds. I can't get rid of the "room" sound. It's ridiculous to have added that into a model. It leaves a person stuck with a room verb on every model. I thought I had the only variax with that problem  because all the sounds on Youtube sound great but I notice they're all from older JT versions than mine. Where did you get the info on the added room sound? Thanks for the comment by the way.