Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IR Impulse Response -How to use with the POD HD?

garbanzo

Hello

I have recently come across the concept of Impulse Response and am trying to get a grip on the concept theoretically and practically. So let me brake my questions down in order of importance:

1. If I were to download an IR, or to produce myself by using an on line program (I have no idea as to how to do that but have read that it can be done), how is this to be loaded into the POD HD? Once loaded into the POD, how is it to be controlled?  Do the POD controls work on it, or is it to be controlled through use of the POD Edit program?

2. Are there risks associated with the above? Is there a risk that the POD itself can be damaged somehow if the process above is done improperly?

3. Is there experience of IR´s enhancing the use of the POD?

4. Where do I download IR´s from?

5. Where do I find programs that allow my to create my own IR´s?

6. Is there something else I should know before hoping in to the IR pool?

Thanks in advance and hope that this may aid others.

garbanzo

POD HD does not support IR directly. You will need a Helix to use IR with.

Well that's not entirely true. It is possible to use IR's with the POD, but it's a pain in the a$$. It's accomplished by disabling the POD's cab sims, monitoring through a DAW, and using an IR loader plug-in. Rosen Digital has one that can be downloaded for free... sorry, don't have a link at the moment.

To the OP:

An IR effectively replaces the cab and mic sims in the POD. Disable the those, leave the rest of your chain alone, and with the aforementioned plug-in and the DAW of your choice you can get an idea of how IR's work.

Sources include 3 Sigma, Ownhammer, RedWirz, among others (not sure about the spelling on that last one). They're all over the web, just do a quick search. Most companies will offer a couple that you can download for free, as well as bundles that you'll have to pay for.

Ultimately, the POD is not really suited to using IR's, as they're not stored on the device, so you're stuck having to use it in conjunction with a DAW, making live use difficult...unless you want to be running a laptop on stage.

So in the end, yes...if want convenient IR use, you have to look at getting a unit that supports 3rd party IR's, like the Helix.

• Upvote 1

Thanks cruisinon2!

That s too bad about the pod not taking IR´s directly. Do you have a Helix? Do you find IR´s a useful addition to the built in Helix settings? I believe that most pod users and probably most Helix users as well are into a bit of harder rock sound. Have you come across any sites that have jazz or jazz fusion IR´s?

Thanks cruisinon2!

That s too bad about the pod not taking IR´s directly. Do you have a Helix? Do you find IR´s a useful addition to the built in Helix settings? I believe that most pod users and probably most Helix users as well are into a bit of harder rock sound. Have you come across any sites that have jazz or jazz fusion IR´s?

Yes, I've since upgraded to a Helix. IR's can be a useful addition to the toolbox. I have a few that I've experimented with, but I also find the cab sims in Helix to be perfectly usable, and more tweakable than an IR. An IR is a fixed entity, whereas the cab sims in Helix can be paired with multiple mic models and distances, early reflection parameter, etc.

I'm not a jazz guy at all, but most of the companies making IR's offer tons of different kinds of cabinets, big and small. Finding what works for you is largely trial an error, and will probably require spending a few bucks, as the free offerings are usually quite limited.

I play several musical genres jazz included, and never felt the need to use external IRs as I can get most of the tones I need with what is available in my unit..

you can hear a few examples here: https://soundcloud.com/hurghanico

that said, it seems strange to me that no one in this thread until now said that there are also hardware dedicated solutions to use external IRs with the POD..

one of those is the Logidy Epsi which is small and could be quite handy, and not too much expensive if compared to other solutions..

EPSiM.jpg

however IMO it's also worth noting what Logidy wrote time ago in the TGP forum:

hjkplco.jpg

No idea that thing or anything like it existed... but obviously it's another option.

The Mooer Radar gets good reviews at a reasonable price but it is missing a MIDI-in so you are not able to switch IRs at a foottip.

If I where interested in opening the gate to the overwhelming ocean of IR-files (and I am not), I would choose the AMT Pangaea CP-100FX

Mooer Radar

https://www.thomann.de/gb/mooer_radar.htm

AMT Pangaea CP-100FX

http://amtelectronics.com/new/amt-pangaea-cp-100fx/

Odd that you can't attach patch files here.  Anyway I've created dual amp/cab patches on my 500x plus noise gate, OD, compressor, delay and reverb without DSP problems.   With Meambobbo's suggested cab/mic combinations, he takes into account phase issues that crop up -- you'll see he specifies adding an effect in one amp path on some to fix the phase issue.  I just use his recommendations that don't call for the extra effect. 

What I'd like to explore before getting something like the Mooer Radar is testing the improvement of a free external IR in a DAW program ( Reaper? )to see if it would really help me enough to justify the purchase.

See WhomShallIFear and VolDualControl patches I just put on customtone.

https://line6.com/customtone/profile/Indianrock2020

out of curiosity I tried your patches above, but since I have an HD500 and they are not accepted due to DSP resources limits, I used the trick to load them in offline mode into the editor, by doing so I've been able to cut the FXs that IMO are not strictly necessary (like reverb, long delays and noise gate) to hear the dual cab thing of which we are speaking about, and then I saved the patches to my PC, so finally with the POD re-connected and the editor open I reloaded the just edited patches, and they have been accepted, good, mission complete!..

I connected my trusty Variax 700, tried with different models with single coils or humbuckers, different expression pedal settings, but the patches didn't work good for me..

too much compression and a type of distortion too much different than what I would use for my tones..

I saw also that the patches input settings are set for a Variax, doubled input, which may account in part for the excess of compression and type of distortion..

don't know how much goodness is added in this case by the dual amp/cab/mic, hard to say..

please forgive my sincerity ..

but when it comes to music, there are no friends or relatives for me, just music..

also, when it comes to patches/presets there are several variables involved, and I'm sure the patches above give good results for you

Just in case we all needed any more evidence that trying to use someone else's patches is generally a complete waste of time...

Not at all surprised that patches work on one set of guitars, speakers and ears aren't popular in other environments.   At best it might give a new person an idea of how to set up patches.  As far as Meambobbo knowing a thing or two about using dual amp/cab, I don't question that.

I think he does gravitate towards the heavy stuff but a few of his dual cab/mic combinations work well for me on lighter rock styles.

Well that is interesting. I'm probably missing a lot of perfectly good tones by going dual amp  in every patch and using just the "recommended" combinations.   I suppose the phasing / mismatch between certain cab/mic combinations is either audible to you, or ( even if there ) it isn't and you don't need to worry about it.    Or it's only audible in headphones, not a band PA mix.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ir+pedals&oq=ir+pedals&aqs=chrome..69i57.1661j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just do a google search for IR Pedals (see link above) and you come up with lots of options.  Yes there's a lot that can be done with the PODHD but the IRs that come with it are not nearly the resolution you'll find using aftermarket IRs.  One of the (many) reasons the Helix sounds better is it has better IRs.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 1:27 PM, samobizarro said:

Say hello to my little friend!

Mooer Radar Speaker Cab Simulator https://g.co/kgs/7LHypQ

Works pefect with the pod hd500(x).

You're welcome ;)

Haha i'm about to move on this stuff :D

Plug in FX loop of the poD, How do you like it , once again :) , this is really important.

I'm struggling for years now with pod and keep on having the feel that my sound sounds need to but tweaked. It 's a all time long work... so recently i've made a try plugin my audio interface in and out in pod fx loop and using IR, cause i was convinced Cab sim it's the most important weakness of the pod.

Result is really impressive with IR, a real organic sound like Axe .... is possible.

Do you confirm ?

• 2 years later...

If your a Pod HD user and you have upgraded to the Pod go you could use your old Pod HD to connect to Pod go by using s std guitar lead to connect the headphone out on the HD to the guitar input on the pod go. You could then disable the cabs on the HD and the std amps & cabs on the Pod go and just use Impulse responses you have stored on the Pod go with the amps on the HD.