Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

update news?

pelaomedinaese

will pod hd series have an update? or driver optimization? any official supporter talk about that?

Dont hold you're breath. It's a rapidly aging product line...verging on "ancient", by today's standards. Helix is clearly their main focus now. They'll probably keep selling and supporting HD in its current state for a while, but I wouldn't count on any significant updates.

• Upvote 1

I’m waiting to hear back from a L6 product manager in regards to an update to solve the power amp sound issue and maybe a few others. I’m hoping he’ll say something after NAMM, but he told me directly that he’d look into it.

I’m not asking for anything free. I’d even pay for an update. I’m just asking him to look into it and see if they can address an issue that has already come up and under review in IdeaScale.

can you explain what is the power amp sound issue you are talking about?

I’m not sure how much you know about amplifiers from an engineering stand point, but at a high level here’s the deal.

These is a voltage that the audio signal rides on called the “bias voltageâ€. It’s used in effects too. Say you have an effect that runs on 9 volts, the bias voltage is usually in the middle at 4.5v (volts). When the signal rides in the middle you are getting the fullest amount of the signal without cutting off the top or bottom of the signal.

Now if you cut the top or bottom you get a very unnatural distorted sound. It’s almost metallic sounding. Also sometimes the signal sputters and dies quickly instead of naturally fading. In audio guitarist like the “natural†distortion that comes from tubes and the simulations that come from diodes and FETs (Field Effect Transistors). A audio engineer is very familiar with this sound and the first thing they start to check is the main and bias voltage throughout the circuit.

Joe guitarists first thought might be to try to EQ the sound, but EQ won’t make it better. They might get it close, but eventually they’ll notice the problem is still there. It’s like something disgusting at the center of a birthday cake. You can try to cut around it all you want, but the problem is still there.

Anyway I explained it in detail to the PM and he said he’d look into it and get back to me.

I forgot to add that since the sound is in several amp models I’m thinking it’s a power amp modeling issue and not in the preamps. It also doesn’t affect the effects. I can only guess that the power amp modeled may have been defective. It could also be an issue with the modeling algorithm capture or code, but I’m sure the folks there can figure it out

I’m waiting to hear back from a L6 product manager in regards to an update to solve the power amp sound issue and maybe a few others. I’m hoping he’ll say something after NAMM, but he told me directly that he’d look into it.

I hate to rain on your parade, but "I'll look into it" is a politician's answer, and as such, pretty much always a lie. It's what somebody says when either:

A) They haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, but don't want to admit it,

or

B ) They know what you want, have no intention of giving it to you, but are keenly aware that you probably won't go away unless they throw you a bone and offer some glimmer of hope. Conveniently, it also provides future plausible deniability..."Well we 'looked into it', but currently our resources are allocated elsewhere".

In this case it's most likely code for "The POD is old...don't bet on any more updates".

When I wear my wedding ring to play guitar, the extra piece of metal creates extra vibration, which creates a harmonic overtone that gets picked up by the Pod and then amplified to the nth degree because they did not apply the proper magnetic filter. It disappears if you you perform gigs in Alaska because the Northern Lights acts as an anti vibrational conduit that allow the inhibitor to be properly screened. 

You don't know about this because you aren't a properly trained Teslavian. But it's ok because I bought the unit anyhow. And, let's face it, there are only 5 ears alive (Rocco lost one to sepsis) today that are trained to hear it --- but it is there, trust me.

I hate to rain on your parade, but "I'll look into it" is a politician's answer, and as such, pretty much always a lie. It's what somebody says when either:

A) They haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, but don't want to admit it,

or

B ) They know what you want, have no intention of giving it to you, but are keenly aware that you probably won't go away unless they throw you a bone and offer some glimmer of hope. Conveniently, it also provides future plausible deniability..."Well we 'looked into it', but currently our resources are allocated elsewhere".

In this case it's most likely code for "The POD is old...don't bet on any more updates".

They are still selling the HD series. I wouldn’t have been brought it up if they weren’t. The code is similar, the issues are the same as well.

I’m giving them the opportunity to reply to the issues raised, voted on, and in Under Review status in ideaScale, which was pushed as how to get issues resolved. There’s no gaurentee the reply will be positive, but I at least owe him the opportunity to do so. That’s fair.

• Upvote 1

When I wear my wedding ring to play guitar, the extra piece of metal creates extra vibration, which creates a harmonic overtone that gets picked up by the Pod and then amplified to the nth degree because they did not apply the proper magnetic filter. It disappears if you you perform gigs in Alaska because the Northern Lights acts as an anti vibrational conduit that allow the inhibitor to be properly screened.

You don't know about this because you aren't a properly trained Teslavian. But it's ok because I bought the unit anyhow. And, let's face it, there are only 5 ears alive (Rocco lost one to sepsis) today that are trained to hear it --- but it is there, trust me.

lmao...

thanks for the detailed reply..

I don't know everything happens in a tube amp from an electrical point of view, but I know tube amps from a guitarist point of view..

during the last years I've read several posts of people complaining about supposed flaws in a certain component of the HD modeling, some refer to the HD cabs (for which the only solution for them would be using external IRs), others refer to the modeled power amps (for which the solution for them would be using a real tube power amp or the DT amp)..

being a musician in my life (but I have also some knowledge about the tube amp internal functioning, even if at an amateur level) I tend to judge instruments, devices and musical tools mainly with my ears..

and I heard several excellent tone audio demos made by others, and luckily some also by myself, made by using only the HD as it is without external gear involved..

this is enough from my musician point of view to believe that the tone you get by this device depends mainly if not only on your settings and also on your musician skills..

I don't remember how many times I heard people using top level real things sound real crappy and others using the same equipment sound glorious..

just a few days ago on youtube I was listening to some Mesa Boogie King Snake demos, and well, in the one done by "Andertons Music" 2 people haven't be able to get at least a decent (for my taste) distort tone from that amp (the distortions start at about 13:00 in the video clip), whereas another guy from "Guitarist" sounded much better with the same amp..

Andertons Music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mD03JT1AgY

Guitarist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fqr_2995FM

I would say that the difference between the 2 clips above here probably is not due to something like a mismatched bias (or else) setting in one of the amps

Trust me, I have nothing against modeling, use it 100%. Nothing against line 6, look how much of their gear I own. It’s all modeling gear too! I just noticed something and I brought it to their attention.

I have noticed it very hard to have an opinion or a thought around here.