Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Helix 4CM/7CM setup

VirtualGuitars

Hello, I wanted to share my Helix 4CM/7CM setup with my two Marshall tube amps for those new Helix owners.  I also have two Gibson Les Paul reference monitors on my desk connected via the XLR outputs.  I bought a 30-foot USB cable to connect my Helix to my MacBook Pro which is on the other side of the room.  I am very pleased with the results!  I hope this helps somebody that hasn't tried the 4CM or 7CM.  This is just for me at home, so please forgive my poor cable management.  As an IT professional, I have to admit it could be a lot better.  :)

4 Cable Method (4CM) for Amp #1

Cable #1 Guitar to Helix Guitar In

Cable #2 Helix FX Send Loop 1 to Amp #1 Main Input

Cable #3 Amp #1 FX Send Loop to Helix FX Return Loop 1

Cable #4 Helix 1/4" Left (mono) Out to Amp #1 FX Return Loop

7 Cable Method (7CM) for Amp #2

Cable #5 Helix FX Send Loop 2 to Amp #2 Main Input

Cable #6 Amp #2 FX Send Loop to Helix FX Return Loop 2

Cable #7 Helix 1/4" Right Out to Amp #2 FX Return Loop

post-2630986-0-34740000-1516426693_thumb.jpg

post-2630986-0-68678600-1516426703_thumb.jpg

post-2630986-0-90587200-1516430852_thumb.jpg

post-2630986-0-14016800-1516430860_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 8 months later...

Thanks for this great write up. I want a two amp set up....not stereo though. Basically a clean amp and dirty amp used at separate times.

I'm using a Marshall Silver Jubilee Mini combo for dirty sounds.... and looking into a Boss Katana or Bluesbreaker 15 for cleans only. I want to use Helix's effects with both loops. I assume 7cm will allow for this. My big questions are:

1. how do you set up the Helix to switch between the amps. 

2. is there a specific way to set up the outputs on the patch to run with two amps?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, djpgreek said:

Thanks for this great write up. I want a two amp set up....not stereo though. Basically a clean amp and dirty amp used at separate times.

I'm using a Marshall Silver Jubilee Mini combo for dirty sounds.... and looking into a Boss Katana or Bluesbreaker 15 for cleans only. I want to use Helix's effects with both loops. I assume 7cm will allow for this. My big questions are:

2. is there a specific way to set up the outputs on the patch to run with two amps?

You're welcome, man.  That's what this community is all about.

3 hours ago, djpgreek said:

1. I run both amps in stereo using the 7CM.  I use Path1 for Amp1 panned left and Path2 for Amp2 panned right.  I use two Mini Jubilees now, but you can use whatever you have.

2. I basically have the same effects in both paths - one for each amp.  I have FX Loop 1 on Path1 and FX Loop 2 on Path 2.

11 minutes ago, djpgreek said:

Ok, so when you stay you run em stereo...you're using both at once? I just want one at a time and switch between

Yes, I am using them both at once.  I suppose you could could use just one amp at a time using the 7CM; however, your patches would need to point to the correct FX Loop.  In other words, you'd have to have separate patches for each amp.  Never tried it that way.

• 9 months later...

I am going to use the Helix with two amps in stereo. H&K Grandmeister 36 and a H&K Blackspirit. I plan to use the 7 cable method. A question is if I use 7 cable method, can I choose to have certain patches where I have the Helix amp models working and run it through just the power sections of my amps and then at other times use the preamp of those amps? 

Also, I have a Lifeson Les Paul with the two output jacks, one for Buckers and the other for Piezo. I would like to run the Piezo in the Aux input and then use one of the free loops to send to a Fishman acoustic amp. Not sure how to hook that up.

Thanks