Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HXFX

Rewolf48

Assuming it's real, which it appears to be at this point, it's a pretty logical addition to the current line of products.  It's not necessarily something I would be interested in as I have all the effects I need with the Helix, but I would think it's going to be using all the same effects as the Helix and should be compatible, so that would put more emphasis at Line 6 on ramping up their game on the effects side.  Meaning, of course, us Helix users will benefit.

However I'd hate to be that guy that bought the Helix just to use the effects through their traditional amp setup.  This might make me have an aneurism!!!

• Upvote 1

However I'd hate to be that guy that bought the Helix just to use the effects through their traditional amp setup.  This might make me have an aneurism!!!

​I was about to buy about 5 BOSS Waza Craft pedals along with a new BOSS pedalboard just to have fun with at home to use with my Marshall combo tube amps as I am not a full-time musician.  After reviewing everything the Helix had to offer, I purchased the Helix Floor (admittedly way more than I needed).  It was very close to what I was about to spend otherwise.  After owning it for 3 months, I have now purchased two Mission Engineering Helix expression pedals and two high-end reference monitors.  I have been converted!  I learned very quickly that it's so much more than the best multi-FX unit out there!

So, I "was" that guy you were referring to up above.  Once you go FRFR you may not go back!

If there where to be a HXFX unit... what about an HX Amps unit?...

that would be the perfect compliment for Strymon's gorgeous stunning FX units...

All that Strymon lack is an amp modelling unit to pair with their FX...

Helix has it all but I'm putting my neck on the line here in saying that Strymon set a high standard with their fx...

I think their reverbs will have set the bar for the new HX reverbs to try and match... My dream set up would be to use a plethora of Strymons fx with Helix amps... but it would lose the functionality and sound quality maintained throughout the signal path that helix hardware gains when you have the fx and amps under the same hood but i just feel the strymons currently have a slight edge over helix fx... tho the helix fx are still very good but when I play thru a friends strymon's with my helix my jaw drops...

but I love my helix to be clear... im sure my helix wont mind me talking fondly of strymon as my helix has a lot of respect for strymon too and he enjoys it when I plug them together.

Just I can't afford to buy the strymons as I went down the helix all in one route and tied my cash up in that...

If the HXFX is true... well done to helix for covering every way they can sell their efforts with HX...

$599 does that seem resonable price.. the LT is 999 and the full version 1499...

what if they are releasing a HXFX and a HX amps... would the combined price of those two units if both at 599 (1198) sit correct against the LT 999 or the full version 1499.

Would a HX Amps at 599 seem good value when it's competition in part would be something like atomic amplifire for around $750 (converted from UK price).

When I have thought about a strymon styled amp modeller to compliment their fx I was thinking around the price of one of their multi fx units like the big sky which is around $499... but 599 for HXFX or HX AMPS would seem reasonable release date price?

• Upvote 1

Helix has it all but I'm putting my neck on the line here in saying that Strymon set a high standard with their fx... 

Agreed. But that is a very nice looking box.... So just how will Line-6 do this? Will Helix get the same (or better) updated FX too, or will ALL Helix users have to buy this box to get the updated FX in it? No snot bubbles please, I'm just askin...  ;)

http://i65.tinypic.com/2hpopef.jpg

Agreed. But that is a very nice looking box.... So just how will Line-6 do this? Will Helix get the same (or better) updated FX too, or will ALL Helix users have to buy this box to get the updated FX in it? No snot bubbles please, I'm just askin...  ;)

http://i65.tinypic.com/2hpopef.jpg

I seriously doubt that. It would make more sense for Line6 to establish a common platform (named "Helix"), have different hardware (Floor, Rack, LT, ...) and maybe a few software limitations (no amps in the FX or a similar "Helix Amps" unit). But it would not make sense to split the functionality exclusively across different units. Instead, it seems you will have top-of-the-line units that incorporate everything (Floor, Rack and LT) and at least the FX unit that only has the FX software components on it.

Which in turn means that software updates would affect all products. If there's a new FX algorithm, it'll be available on the Floor, the FX and the Native. Why establish a common hardware and software platform and then develop updates individually? Also, I don't think most customers of the "Full Hardware" (including me) would be pleased to see that after spending over 1k we're left without updates and expected to buy new stuff every time Line6 thinks of a new reverb model.

• Upvote 1

Also, I don't think most customers of the "Full Hardware" (including me) would be pleased to see that after spending over 1k we're left without updates and expected to buy new stuff every time Line6 thinks of a new reverb model.

Same here as a Rack + Control + L6 mission exp pedal + Helix Native. It would leave me less than pleased.

I expect to get access to all the Helix models without buying new hardware until Helix II, or whatever the successor is, releases.

I am that guy, 

I bought the helix for the fx and its ability to switch real amps, and the sheer amount of routing options, snapshots etc .

I think even when just used for its fx its well worth the money. 

if you were to buy half the actual pedals that are modelled in Helix it'd cost you 10 times the price...

• Upvote 1

Yep Helix has the ability to become the major hub of your studio (or live) rig. But the modeled amps in it are excellent too, and I think anyone using Helix for just the FX or hub alone, is missing out on some sweet tones.

My guess is this uses the same architecture but only has one processor. Hence fx only, limited to 9 fx and a sub $600 price point

DI said the reason the 2.3 and HXEDIT software took so long to get out was because they were reworking the whole architecture to give them more flexibility for the future and making helix more of a platform to do many things with. This makes sense. People have been crying about lack of updates or a new version of the M9 and 13 pedals. Well, here it is.

i dont know if there would be too many in that category, users of helix who only ever used fx's - pretty pricey luxury

Wouldn't be my choice for just a multi-fx unit either, but as my old man used to say, "There's an a$$ for every seat". Threads pop up from guys who bought Helix for that very reason all the time...the 4 cable methodologists who can't bear to part with their tube amp, but who are tired of tap dancing amongst 17 pedals at every gig...there's a definitely a market for it.

I am that guy, 

I bought the helix for the fx and its ability to switch real amps, and the sheer amount of routing options, snapshots etc .

I think even when just used for its fx its well worth the money. 

if you were to buy half the actual pedals that are modelled in Helix it'd cost you 10 times the price...

Same.  I "was" that guy.  Still am actually.

I only use the helix for effects or the Hiwatt DR103 model to write presets for my band with a model of my amp.  It was the same price as 3 strymon pedals and IMO sounds better than 2 of them (and the reverbs are about to get an upgrade).  It's not a huge investment of money if you are a person with a board of 20+ pedals who uses multiple delays and reverbs at the same time.

The Helix FX isn't powerful enough for my fx only use.  I use have all 16 slots filled on every preset.  Now I don't have to change my board based on my bands set list (as I use a lot of effects in the studio and they used to require multiple board changes to correctly play them).  My live interaction with the audience has also gone up because it is all one tap changes and me not worrying about cables dying and me being screwed which does more for my bands name then tone ever will.  The amount of in and out pedal exchanges i used to do make a switching system impossible as well because i would be redoing the loops all the time or i would have 35 pedals on my board.  that is insane.

There might be better buy they all involved shipping from the USA, be not being able to try them (I never buy anything I can't actually try), and longer editing processes.  None of those are all that appealing to me. 

I also work at a store that deals the helix.  I have sold many of them based on people just wanting to replace a pedal board.  None have come back.

• Upvote 1

All 16 slots? Helix currently has 32 blocks but you may not be able to fill them all. There have been hints that at least one of these may be changing.

The one teaser from DI that is very interesting is: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-helix.1586637/page-948#post-25675460

The link is not working, it takes you many pages before the actual post, but I knew which one you were talking about so, I'm gonna try with a different approach:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25675460/

• Upvote 1

Dang - looks like effects only. I want that form factor but with amp sims + IRs, along with effects. Basically a minimal Helix, cut all the FX loops except for maybe one, drop the expression pedal, midi, xlr, and all that. Maybe even the big screen (simple text LCD would suffice). Include about four footswitches, USB, one guitar input (no aux) and enough internal DSP to run patches from the full sized version. With similar limitations as Native regarding the missing send/returns and similar.

My use case: it's in my living room by the fireplace next to my easy chair so when I get inspired, I grab my nearby guitar and have all the patches and tones from my big Helix that's 3 floors up in my house - out of reach.

I happen to use an Amplifi TT for that purpose right now - and it works fine for that. But I'd much rather have a tiny Helix.

i dont know if there would be too many in that category, users of helix who only ever used fx's - pretty pricey luxury

That's me. The scribblestrips are instrumental for controlling software with MIDI. The only alternatives that I found were things like this: http://www.famcmusic.com/store/liquid-foot?product_id=72

So, for an extra $200, you may as well get a bunch of effects and/or ampsims. I also use the audio interface capability of the Helix, but if I wasn't the HXFX would be pretty ideal and half the cost. 

Does anyone know if the Mission SP-1 L6H expression will work with HX Effects? I'd be nice to just have one expression pedal but the dual functionality of the toe switch.

The expression part will work, but the HXFX doesn't have a footswitch input like that. The HXFX does support auto-enage with expression pedals, just like the Helix does, fwiw.

The expression part will work, but the HXFX doesn't have a footswitch input like that. The HXFX does support auto-enage with expression pedals, just like the Helix does, fwiw.

Ok. I thought since the Mission has two outputs that I could go into the two EXP inputs on the HXFX and use the toe switch to go between EXP 1 & EXP 2 on HXFX. Oh well  :)