Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Scratchy Volume Pot

My JTV-89 has a scratchy volume pot, but only when then the modeling is engaged. I thought I recalled someone stating the volume pot works differently when the modeling is engaged but couldn't locate any threads. Exercising the pot helps but it always comes back. Are the pots in JTV's standard pots?

When the Variax is set for a modeled tone, and the Volume pot is moved rapidly, there is a "zipper noise" like sound. Every Variax I own (5) does this exact same sound when the Volume pot is moved. This "zipper noise" is more apparent when using the Variax with a High Gain Amplifier or High Gain HD-500 preset.

I just live with it.

Using the Normal Pickups on Tyler Variax eliminates this "Vol Pot zipper noise".

I notice more on the cleans. My usual patch is the blackface dbl normal on my HD-300 either clean or just breaking up. I will check again tonight but it didn't sound like digital zippering, although it definitely could be that. If it is digital zippering why does it stop after I exercise the pot? It sounds more like a microphone in a very windy environment.  

i assume it wasn't scratchy at first. the volume pot in my xt was scratchy and i took the pod apart and cleaned it with contact cleaner and exercised it but it only worked a short time. i wrote to line6 and they sent a new one free of charge in less than a week.

i assume it wasn't scratchy at first. the volume pot in my xt was scratchy and i took the pod apart and cleaned it with contact cleaner and exercised it but it only worked a short time. i wrote to line6 and they sent a new one free of charge in less than a week.

It's only 2 months old. Probably need to open a support ticket.

Is it "Scratchy" when not in WB?

Yeah. Scratchy when the modeling is on, but I don't use workbench too often, maybe twice a week. I did hear the zippering when I connected WB last night, which I hadn't noticed before because I never had played with the volume control while connected to it.

can you always hear the zippering when connected over vdi? That would get on my nerves in headphones, but live I probably wouldn't notice.