Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Studio headphones for Helix - suggestions?

BBD_123

I'm still using ancient Sennheiser HD 565s and I know I have to stop. The Rokits are giving me the yellow eye, every day.

I know I have to act. I know that I need studio headphones. I know that this is a first world problem. But even so, it needs sorting :D

Suggestions welcome...

Let's say to around the £250 / $350 USD mark, although just roughly.

I'm VERY happy with my Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro 80 ohm headsets at the very reasonable price of around $150 street price.  They compare well sound wise to my Yamaha HS7 studio speakers and I can wear them for hours and not be bothered by them.  This is my second pair so they've been my headphone of choice for many years now.

Lots of threads on that topic. But a few options get regularly mentioned. AKG, Sony, Sennheiser seem popular. As do Beyerdynamic, which is what I have - a set each of DT-770s and DT-990s, together coming in under your price ceiling.

If I had to pick from the two, it'd be the DT-990s. Slightly more accurate reproduction of sound coming through a good quality PA system, probably due to their open backs. The DT-770s might be slightly better in a studio environment, slightly more nuanced sound presentation. And by slightly, I mean very slightly. Both are great choices.

I've tried Beyers and they were way too bassy for me. I own AKG K271's and 240's but my favorites for guitar are by far Shure SRH940. They look a bit plastic, but they sound amazing for guitar. Very nice and detailed mids. And they're closed, so minimal leakage.

Thanks everyone. Very helpful indeed. Sorry if this is a rather well-worn topic btw :). 

BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 80Ω seems to be getting the most love so far, to no great surprise. I'm still mulling this over, but it's a strong contender. 

Once again, thanks for your suggestions.

I'm VERY happy with my Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro 80 ohm headsets at the very reasonable price of around $150 street price.  They compare well sound wise to my Yamaha HS7 studio speakers and I can wear them for hours and not be bothered by them.  This is my second pair so they've been my headphone of choice for many years now.

I have also one of these and it sounds great with Helix!

Sony MDR-V6 and BeyerDynamic DT-770 Pro 250 Ohm version are what I use here. Each sounds outstanding with the Helix. Both are over the ear and provide some degree of isolation as they are each closed back designs. Make sure you take into consideration the type of material you are monitoring, recording, mixing, mastering, etc. YMMV.

Again, thanks for the additional suggestions. After further reading and thought, I've opted for the BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 80Ω on the basis of its popularity with forum members and several detailed and positive reviews (eg. here), plus its closed back design (I want to keep noise leakage to a minimum). Hopefully that's me sorted for headphones for the time being.

Now we can go back to speculating about what's in the 2.50 firmware update... ;)

If you want accuracy I recommend open back for better reproduction of low end, and better soundstage.

I would also recommend fairly flat response.

For your price AKG K702. If you can spring the extra then go for the AKG K712 ( the orange ones ) as they are a step up. For the price you would be hard pressed to find better.

I have several sets of cans around the studio but the Audio Technica ATH-M50x usually get my vote. Also a tip for anyone on a tight budget, I bought some semi open Superlux HD668B which I found to be truly astonishing and extremely inexpensive - check them out!

https://www.amazon.com/Superlux-HD668B-Dynamic-Semi-Open-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8

• 1 year later...

I have to amend my previous post from early last year. Having subsequently added a pair of Sennheiser HD650 (open back) last summer to my headphones roster, I have been using these far more often and distinctly prefer them to the BeyerDynamic DT770. I find the HD650 far less fatiguing sonically and more comfortable than the DT700. Both are exceptional, howere, I give the edge to the Sennehiser. At the recent Winter NAMM Show, the brand new Neumann NDH20 (closed back) absolutely blew me away! 

• Like 1

I'm currently using the AKG K240 MKII Semi-Open Studio headphones. They are accurate sounding and not exaggerated. I have no issues making a tone from a studio set up and making it sound good for a live setup with these babies! 

I also tried the ATH-M40x's, they sounded great, but very exaggerated and had issues creating tones from one setup to the other! 

7 hours ago, MusicLaw said:

I have to amend my previous post from early last year. Having subsequently added a pair of Sennheiser HD650 (open back) last summer to my headphones roster, I have been using these far more often and distinctly prefer them to the BeyerDynamic DT770. I find the HD650 far less fatiguing sonically and more comfortable than the DT700. Both are exceptional, howere, I give the edge to the Sennehiser. At the recent Winter NAMM Show, the brand new Neumann NDH20 (closed back) absolutely blew me away! 

By coincidence, I tried the HD650s out before Christmas - only for an hour or so - but I would agree with you. Being open backed, they are indeed a bit less ear-tiring for guitar work, and they are very comfortable. They do suffer from the rather flimsy Sennheiser cable problem - I got through several of those over the years as the cable to jack join does not withstand sudden jerks - but I think sonically, they are the winner.

• Like 1

Indeed they are, although the cable is a hell of a lot more robust than the Sennheiser. I have yet to destroy one, and I am good a destroying headphone cables. You can run the casters of an office chair over the BD cable and it laughs at the pain.

• Like 1