Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the Variax Digital Cable Simply an RJ-45 Cable?

A standard RJ-45 cable is not gig worthy, or even regular-use worthy. You need to get a cable that has the protective housing at each end. A regular RJ-45 cable does not fit securely enough in the jack; it wiggles and will damage the pins inside the jack.

I was looking for something more rugged than the Line 6 VDI. When I owned an AXE FX II, I had an an ethercon cable custom made to go to the foot controller.

Thanks for the clarification.

The link above is not the L6-made cable...you can beat the daylights out of it.

I have an older Line 6 VDI cable that came with my guitar, (not the dongle one), and a newer one I bought online. The newer one is a little thicker. I've been using that one for close to a year, dragging it around gigs, rehearsals and generally stomping all over it. I've never had a problem with it and it coils as well as any other guitar or mic cable I own. I keep the older one as a spare, but I've never needed to use it. I think if you buy a current Line 6 cable, you'll be pleased with it.

• Upvote 1

Mine is a RJ45 which I made myself and put a snagless strain relief flush boot. It's a bit fiddly to remove it from the JTV but I use a plastic spudger which really saves me a few quid and I can replace my cable with any length of cable at anytime. 

https://www.netshop.co.uk/products/rj45-snagless-strain-relief-flush-boot-grey-65mm?gclid=Cj0KCQiAwKvTBRC2ARIsAL0Dgk1uRgge-SQFj9p9NDuE3N7XdSGHWgYtFe4vKKF8ZtGPahqmwUw6U7saAl_PEALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/271828235499?chn=ps&adgroupid=52137191441&rlsatarget=pla-380309513011&abcId=1129946&adtype=pla&merchantid=101769850&poi=&googleloc=9045724&device=c&campaignid=974961043&crdt=0

• 4 weeks later...

When I got my New Variax, I hated the short Cable that came with the guitar since I play guitar and keyboard and need a longer one. So I said I will use a RJ-45 Cable that is longer. This is not a good idea because not all Rj-45 cables are shielded. My Helix squibble strips did not like it and I had to send my unit back for a new power supply. Not knowing what caused this, I plugged my Rj-45 back in and all worked fine until I booted my helix up the next day and the same thing. I called Line 6 back up which has customer support that no one beats, together we figured out what the problem was. I did complain about the short cable that comes with the guitar and now I just use a guitar cable until I can get a long shielded correct cable. So beware new Variax users. An unshielded RJ-45 will mess your squibble strips up.

..... I did complain about the short cable that comes with the guitar .....

The cable that comes with the guitar is not intended to be used as a VDI cable. It is intended to be used only for Variax firmware updates or for Workbench HD, along with the Variax hardware interface device that also comes with the guitar.

The cable that comes with the guitar is not intended to be used as a VDI cable. It is intended to be used only for Variax firmware updates or for Workbench HD, along with the Variax hardware interface device that also comes with the guitar.

That is good to know, but most think it is for both. My thought is add 10 dollars to the guitar and give a 20 ft cable. It is just common sense. Line 6 goes out of their way with customer service so hopefully they will pick up on this. To everyone out there, do not use an RJ-45  Network cable. You can buy a long VDI cable at Sweetwater for $30.00

That is good to know, but most think it is for both. My thought is add 10 dollars to the guitar and give a 20 ft cable. It is just common sense.

I would have liked a cable to come with mine too, but you gotta think like a company...what "makes sense" for them is to spend as little as possible, while getting you to buy something else for 30 bucks. They can't assume that the majority of Variax owners also own another compatible L6 device to plug it into...some do, some don't...and as such, this is not likely to make it past the bean counters. From their perspective, they'd be wasting a bunch of money on cables that would never get used.

• 2 years later...
19 minutes ago, kensmith010 said:

What if I want a shorter cable than the 20 ft cable can I buy the 20 ft cut it in half and replace the ends and now have 2 10ft cables if so what ends to buy.

Well, you need ethercon ends. There are probably kits you can buy for them. Have you crimped Cat 5 cables before? It’s a huge PITA. Probably not worth it, imo.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Punkyboy said:

Hello psarkissian

Are the VDI cable cat 5e good for the JTV 59? I saw people tell that  a cat6 is needed for the JTV 59? Where can I find that if needed?

The JTV doesn’t need Cat6. Cat5e is fine.

Do not use CAT6 or Cat7, it's the wrong frequency bandwidth/data rate for our products.

Do not use  generic CAT5/5e for playing through,... that is for use with Monkey and Workbench HD.

Use the real VDI cable with the Canon/Neutrik shells on both ends for a good lock when playing.

Jiggling when using regular CAT5 can induce transients on a signal line or supply rail, and that can

damage something internally.

14 hours ago, psarkissian said:

Do not use CAT6 or Cat7, it's the wrong frequency bandwidth/data rate for our products.

Do not use  generic CAT5/5e for playing through,... that is for use with Monkey and Workbench HD.

Use the real VDI cable with the Canon/Neutrik shells on both ends for a good lock when playing.

Jiggling when using regular CAT5 can induce transients on a signal line or supply rail, and that can

damage something internally.

Thank you very much dude

• 8 months later...

I live in Canada, and wanted a 10 foot VARIAX cable. The links above do not ship to Canada from Amazon, but I was able to find this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T99WP6R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Hopefully this helps someone someone!