Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

In case you need several (or many) cabs in the same preset...

Parapentep70

This is possibly described somewhere else, but I honestly did not find it and it might be useful to others, so I share just in case.

Using many different cabs in the same preset can be difficult and subject to limitations. I think it is not possible to use more than 4 cabs per preset or 2 per dual path (so that it is possible to enable any of them using switches or snapshots).

However, using Impulse Responses, it is possible to use the impulse response file name (i.e. cab type) as a parameter... and different snapshots to select 8 cabs. It is even possible to pick 1 out of 128 cabs while in the same preset and snapshot by simply sweeping the expression pedal. This can be useful to audition impulse responses. Or to use less resources to define a preset with different cabs in each snapshot.

I actually was questioning this concept in my mind, as I'd like to go back to a preset per song approach.  I have some presets I've bought from Fremen, that use IR's, usually a dual configuration.....but if I want to use another amp sound in that preset, that would be 2 amps, and 4 IR's, which I think will be too much DSP. 

Any ideas...?  Or am I forced to use the same amp, and use a volume block before the amp to reduce the amp gain or use a snapshot to save the amp gain lower to get a cleanish type sound. 

Your 2 amps may be able to use the same 2 IR blocks. If both amps are on at the same time, could you run them both through the same cab pair? Can't do that easily or safely in the real world, but here it's fine.

If it's one amp or the other on at a time, snapshots or footswitches can change which IRs are used, like any other parameter. Big advantage over built in cabs, where each cab is a different block type.

And if none of that works for you, try just doing the 2 amps and 4 IRs you want. Split everything as evenly as possible between paths (DSP chips), Depending on how much other stuff you absolutely have to have, it may all fit. You won't break anything by trying ;)

Been doing this for a long time, and have a lot of presets with multiple cabs tied to snapshots. Did it mostly for test purposes but never the less ran into some real challenges along the way. For instance, before the ability to create a back-up, exporting a preset meant you would have to go thru each snapshot in that preset and find each IR tied to it. Youd also have to export all the IRs along with it...sure not an issue if you have every IR in the same place and never move them, but id like to meet that guy. 

and then quite often adding more IRs means automating more EQ, whether it be on the amp itself or adding more blocks.

If you decide you want to use a 2048 IR instead of a 1024 IR all your previously saved IRs will be erased.

...and then if the amp in that preset changes for whatever reason, often it makes the rest of the snapshot sounds obsolete, forcing you to run thru and reprogram them all.

This works as the OP has described, but it can really become pretty messy.