Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod XT Live, 2018 -- It's Alive!

What's old becomes new again. Sort-of...

It's been quite a few years since I used Line 6 Edit to create some custom presets for my XT Live and VDI-connected Variax 500. For a long time, I neither played very often, nor had any occasion to connect the two to my computer, meaning that the situation has been static for quite some time. And, of course, in the past couple of years, I've updated most of my computers to newer versions of Windows, ending up with two music-room machines running the latest version of Windows 10.

And, for whatever reason, I now find myself revisiting the XT Live, with the intention to make some tweaks and changes to make it more in line with what I'm playing these days. But there are some bumps in the road...

First, Line 6 Edit is not only an unsupported orphan, it won't run, even on my one remaining XP machine -- the one on which I last used it all those years ago. In that instance, it's because of the java runtime issue, requiring the older 1.6 version that's no longer loaded on the computer.

I've seen some comments here on the forum that hint at some success running the Windows 8 version in Windows 10, but have also seen some indications that it doesn't work on 64-bit Windows 10. So I read some more...

I believe I saw a reference to Gearbox being a somewhat acceptable replacement for Line 6 Edit, but that's no longer supported, either! So I'm kinda flailing, here...

The big question: Is there anybody out here who is currently a  creating or modifying presets for the Pod XT Live and a Variax 500/600 or JTV, using Line 6 Edit, Gearbox, or ????? in Windows 10?

I'd appreciate some suggestions, and it is important to be able to select the Variax model in the preset when connected via VDI cable.

Is there anything that gives me the functionality that Line 6 Edit provided for the XT Live/Variax combination?

Thanks for your consideration...

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem. New super fast Win10 computer, Pod XT Live and...no way to make them talk correctly. My goal is to do my patch editing on the PC and then transfer those tones to the Pod XT Live like Gearbox used to be able to do. I don't intend on using the PC as a recording interface, so Pod Farm is useless to me.

What are my options? My older Gearbox software doesn't work any longer since the USB won't recognize the Pod and neither does the Variax Workbench software, both of which are vital.

Good to see there's still somebody out there trying to resolve this. I haven't yet had time to really dig in on this, but should have some upcoming soon. My solution may be to go with an older machine -- I still have some carcasses left that run XP, and maybe even have the older version of the JRE installed. (or can get it...)

I'd like to find an alternative that would run on Windows 10, though. If I stumble across anything helpful, I'll update this thread and alert you via a private message.

• 3 weeks later...

I have also loaded Line 6 Edit onto my new windows 10 machine and I am also having issues.  The main issue I am having is that the Edit window itself does not want to expand horizontally.  I can only expand vertically.  As such, I cannot see my settings in entirety and cannot edit my banks.  Has anyone encountered this issue with windows 10 and been able to resolve it?

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi, I'm pretty new to Line 6 and this whizbang stuff (stombox guy from way back lol). Anyway I bought a used pod xt live, and my laptop is a windows 7. I couldn't get line 6 edit to work either until I installed 32bit java. You have to do a google search for it, the 64 bit wont work at all. If I can get it to work you guys can too

hth

good luck

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems to be the same with my XT Pro connected my Mac running Mojave. I cant find the Monkey installer , Gearbox or anything Line 6 related on my hard drive or on their website. I'm sure it was on there when I upgraded to this Mac in April this year.  I managed to download Licence Manager but that just tells me what I have and not what is incompatible. I am going to try the custom tone section to see if I can download a file straight into XT Live. 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone mentioned that you have to install java runtime 32bit, not 64bit.  you can run java runtime 32bit on a 64bit os ok, I think?

worth a shot folks LoL.  Although I own a helix lt, I also recently solved a major problem with my old xt live, and now it runs too, so I'd love to be able to edit it in an app too.  I haven't tried this yet, and don't have an extra machine that I want to trash the 64bit java runtime on currently, but I guess maybe uninstalling 64bit java then installing 32bit jre (java runtime environment) is worth a shot if you aren't using java for anything else current.