Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

This could be a valid option for the Helix at a reasonable price

Dufrense

Hello,

Just read that Headrush are launching a FRFR at Namm. It will be priced at 299 dollars which translates to around 299 Euros. If it gets good reviews I will buy one to use with my Helix because that is a really reasonable price for a FRFR.

Link:

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2018-headrush-frfr-112-new-high-powered-speaker-modeller/

/Duf

Giving the fact that Line 6 didn't disclosure anything about the new firmware/hardware, they had to copy something else from someone else.

I've just read that Alto and Headrush are owned by the same company. So it could be that they took the same case design for a new box. It's pretty interessting at this price range and I'm curious how it sounds.

It's a pretty sure thing that it sounds exactly like a Alto TS212.  Clearlly just rebranded.

There are some differences in the specs though. Also the Headrush has more power... so it could be an updated version

Oh I suspect it's an updated version as most everyone in the industry is responding to the new high wattage ceiling that QSC set when it introduced the version 2 K series speakers.  It looks like the things they changed such as the heavier voice coil were just to accommodate the higher wattage and higher heat, but it doesn't appear to functionally add anything other than a higher power rating.  All of it is kind of silly given that it only produces about 2 or 3db more in SPL....but that's marketing for you.

Oh I suspect it's an updated version as most everyone in the industry is responding to the new high wattage ceiling that QSC set when it introduced the version 2 K series speakers.  It looks like the things they changed such as the heavier voice coil were just to accommodate the higher wattage and higher heat, but it doesn't appear to functionally add anything other than a higher power rating.  All of it is kind of silly given that it only produces about 2 or 3db more in SPL....but that's marketing for you.

So it's 'an exact copy of the Alto', other than little details like different amplifier and different speakers.   Hookay then.

• Upvote 1

Oh I suspect it's an updated version as most everyone in the industry is responding to the new high wattage ceiling that QSC set when it introduced the version 2 K series speakers. It looks like the things they changed such as the heavier voice coil were just to accommodate the higher wattage and higher heat, but it doesn't appear to functionally add anything other than a higher power rating. All of it is kind of silly given that it only produces about 2 or 3db more in SPL....but that's marketing for you.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that basically did with their floor processor? Isn't it basically modified 11rack software in New form?

I mean the 11rack was a great peice of kit before the Helix, still is actually. However that does seem to be a trend with HR.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that basically did with their floor processor? Isn't it basically modified 11rack software in New form?

I mean the 11rack was a great peice of kit before the Helix, still is actually. However that does seem to be a trend with HR.

When you don't have any of your own ideas, "creatively acquire" someone else's...😉

My guess is you'll probably see an upgraded Alto TS212 at NAMM or shortly thereafter.  The powered speaker market seems to be generating a LOT of hot competition these days.  Probably competing for the expansion of the market with demand for these speakers in the modeling area.

When you don't have any of your own ideas, "creatively acquire" someone else's...😉

Although very few ideas are truly unique. Standing on the backs of giants, and all...

I will say this "iteration" is happening a lot these days. Look at movies, and video games especially. More remakes/reboots/sequels than new IPs.

Lol that said, I do enjoy a good bit of the remake/reboot/sequels 😠lol, especially with gaming.

All of it is kind of silly given that it only produces about 2 or 3db more in SPL....but that's marketing for you.

The new Headrush  has twice the power of the Alto. The SPL are the same, but in theory, the HR should sound better at 124DB. I have no idea how it sounds, but the specs are clearly much better.

Yes sure looks like it. How is the Alto? Is it a good speaker?

/Duf

I have one and its pretty good. I use it as a monitor at rehearsal and at gigs. Its been reliable and it sounds good. The Helix through the Firehawk 1500 sounds better, though. More "balls" and "thump". It is also 3x the price.

The new Headrush  has twice the power of the Alto. The SPL are the same, but in theory, the HR should sound better at 124DB. I have no idea how it sounds, but the specs are clearly much better.

I doubt it would do much beyond the TS212 than add just a bit more mid and low beef to the sound due to the more robust magnet on the speaker.  My guess is this allowed them to add more headroom before the limiter clicked in which was kind of a notorious problem with really loud bands.  But honestly, none of these speakers will do their best job once you dial them much up above 12 o'clock, so it should be useful in that range for sure for generating higher SPL  at that point than the previous design.