Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ir Suggestions? Suggestion for IR? Music genres: Blues, classic rock, sometimes country.

davebyers44

I've got IR suggestions, but I'm afraid that I'm fresh out of suggestions for IR...😉

IR's are not really genre-specific any more than a particular amp model would be. Hell, Metallica used to use Roland JC120's for their clean tones...an amp officially branded JC for "Jazz Chorus". Similarly, some IR's will be better suited to dialing in the tones you're looking for than others, but much of that will also depend on you, your guitar(s), and myriad other stuff already in your signal chain. Trying a few out is really the only way to know. Best thing to do is audition some of the free offerings from 3 Sigma, Ownhammer, RedWirz, Rosen Digital, etc etc, and see what you like. If you're trying to emulate a particular player's tone, knowing what gear they like to use, and finding some IR's made using something similar is a place to start...

IRs are just dandy, but after hours of wading through folders of wav files with cryptic names and managing Helix's IR slots to match presets .... I watched this video ....

How to Love your Line 6 HELIX Stock Cabs

.... created some presets based on the content, and have pretty much stopped using IRs. 

I’m a huge fan of the Celestion brand of impulse responses. My favorites are the Redback 4x12 mixes using three microphones. The “high gain mix†really shines on a Plexi Brt or 2204 Mod amp model, naturally taking out some of the fizz. The “low gain†mix is a little brighter and sounds great on a US Double Nrm model. I’ve recently been using the 2x12 open back Blue “high gain†mix IR with an A30 Fawn Nrm amp model. Awesome with the Teemah OD for getting a sweet U2 Vertigo tone!

Def go with free ones for the time being. Some of my best sounds are with free IRs. Paid IRs arent going to give you a higher quality of sound.

Study up on the sounds you like and go with those cabs. Theres no need to "wade thru 100s of IRs".  If your fav player/sound uses V30s in a Bogner cab then start with those IRs. Buying the IR for a Diezel cab with H30s is probably a waste of your time, and will only lead to you "wading thru 100s of IRs" to find very few sounds you like. You never know though. Sometimes we luck into stuff. If youre willing to afford the time for experimentation then go for it. Live on the edge a bit.

If you like Redwirez Bogner cab with T75s then id def suggest trying Ownhammers same cab, Tonics, and all the other Bogners with T75s because each companys take on the same cab will give you something different. Good luck