Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Relay for my pedalboard?

Sorg

I currently own the G90 and would like to buy a new wireless to have on my pedalboard. I am interested in the G10, G30 or G50. Which of is the most durable and also which can be used without a power connection and has a long lasting battery?

I currently own the G90 and would like to buy a new wireless to have on my pedalboard. I am interested in the G10, G30 or G50. Which of is the most durable and also which can be used without a power connection and has a long lasting battery?

I have the G70 wireless and it works very well with my Helix Floor.  It does require a power source on the receiver.  I opted to buy a Line 6 9V power adapter rather that use the micro-USB cable and AC adapter that come with it.  It doesn't come unplugged nearly as easy.  I'm no expert, but I believe all of Line 6's wireless receivers require power.  Not sure about other products.

I am thinking about buying the G10 as I do not need all the extra features of the G70. Also I like that there is no sender for the G10. Do you know how long the battery time for G10 is and what power bank that is recommended? I guess it could also be possible to just run without any powerbank on the pwedalboard and charge in between concerts?

I am thinking about buying the G10 as I do not need all the extra features of the G70. Also I like that there is no sender for the G10. Do you know how long the battery time for G10 is and what power bank that is recommended? I guess it could also be possible to just run without any powerbank on the pwedalboard and charge in between concerts?

I honestly don't know.  I was originally looking at the Relay G10, but I didn't like the transmitter sticking out of the guitar the way it does.  I thought that might be problematic for me if I bumped into something or accidentally hit on my ES-335.  I spent big bucks on the Helix, so it made sense to get something more robust.  I can tell you that the G70 transmitter feels bulletproof.  I even use it at home when my amps are across the room.  Overkill for me?  Yes.  Happy: YES!

I honestly don't know.  I was originally looking at the Relay G10, but I didn't like the transmitter sticking out of the guitar the way it does.  I thought that might be problematic for me if I bumped into something or accidentally hit on my ES-335.  I spent big bucks on the Helix, so it made sense to get something more robust.  I can tell you that the G70 transmitter feels bulletproof.  I even use it at home when my amps are across the room.  Overkill for me?  Yes.  Happy: YES!

But do you not pay a lot extra for the extra stuff such as tuner, G10, etc? Would not G30 and G50 provide the same robustness?

And I guess the transmitter really does not stick out that much more than a jack cable with the G10?

The G10 is a jewel of a Transmitter. Works great so long as it remains in range of about 50' clear line of sight. On side connector jack guitars like Les Pauls, use the included right angle connector if you will be playing seated (as on a couch, etc.)  If you will not be using the included AC adapter to power receiver base unit, any common USB rechargeable lithium battery pack will do the job. The current drain of the G10 is very minimal. When I measured the unit I got, as I recollect, it was well under 500mAh, regardless, if in charging mode, or receiver mode. I posted to the values to this Forum way back then, so use Search if you care to find the values. 

As I recollect, the G10 Transmit Time rating for the G10 Transmitter is 8 Hrs. In Standby Mode (i.e after 4 mins of audio inactivity) the rated Standby Time is 200 Hrs. When fully charged the G10 Transmitter's battery will hold nearly a full charge for weeks if not used, and, so long as the micro switch is not depressed. Thus, do not leave the Transmitter fully seated in the charger/receiver base, if you turn off the power feed to the base. If you do, the Transmitter will switch into Standby Mode and in about 200 hrs, the battery will be exhausted. If you do shut off the power to the receiver base, I have found the best practice to simply pull up the Transmitter about 1/4" from the receiver base. This is sufficient to avoid activating the micro switch at the base of the plug. 

Another alternative to the protruding transmitter is to use a short (1 foot) Male to Female Extension cable and simply allow the extension cable to drape over your guitar strap where it meets the lower bout button.

The weakest link to the G10 system, is the relatively feeble Micro USB jack on the receiver charger base

unit. Unlike those commonly found on Smartphones and Tablets, etc., which are reinforced and secured by the casing as well as being relatively flush to the casing, the G10 receiver's Micro USB jack sits behind an opening in the casing and is only affixed to the PCB. Many have had issues with flexing of the connecting cable breaking the solder joints holding the jack to the PCB. Line 6 has asserted that they have improved the design, but I have not personally examined any current (newer) production units. When I first got my G10 in August 2016, I had three base units' USB jacks break over a period of several weeks, even though I am very gentle with my equipment! Line 6 promptly replaced them. Many users are now using magnetic USB breakaway style cables, so with any stress, the cable merely disconnects from the base.  

But do you not pay a lot extra for the extra stuff such as tuner, G10, etc? Would not G30 and G50 provide the same robustness?

And I guess the transmitter really does not stick out that much more than a jack cable with the G10?

I bought the Line 6 right-angle locking cable, so it doesn't stick out at all on my Les Paul's.  It my opinion, both straight and right-angle cables should have come with the G70.  In any event, you can always use standard TS cables that don't lock.

All wireless units will require the receiver to have a power connection. I use the G10. The receiver for G10 uses a 5volt micro USB connection, not a standard 9V supply. The transmitter is rechargeable and gives you about 8 hours of play time between charges. 

On side connector jack guitars like Les Pauls, use the included right angle connector if you will be playing seated (as on a couch, etc.)   

Another alternative to the protruding transmitter is to use a short (1 foot) Male to Female Extension cable and simply allow the extension cable to drape over your guitar strap where it meets the lower bout button.

The weakest link to the G10 system, is the relatively feeble Micro USB jack on the receiver charger base unit.   

Do you have a picture of the right angled unit?

I guess the power adapter could be plugged into any kind of power bank?

Could you post a picture of this: "Another alternative to the protruding transmitter is to use a short (1 foot) Male to Female Extension cable and simply allow the extension cable to drape over your guitar strap where it meets the lower bout button." Are you saying to connect a cable into the transmitter and attach that to the guitar strap somehow?

I bought the Line 6 right-angle locking cable, so it doesn't stick out at all on my Les Paul's.  It my opinion, both straight and right-angle cables should have come with the G70.  In any event, you can always use standard TS cables that don't lock.

How do you connect this cable to the transmitter that were supposed to go into the input on your guitar?

All wireless units will require the receiver to have a power connection. I use the G10. The receiver for G10 uses a 5volt micro USB connection, not a standard 9V supply. The transmitter is rechargeable and gives you about 8 hours of play time between charges. 

Ok so the receiver does not have a battery and needs to be connected at all times? What kind of powerbank do you use?

I use my G10 for practice at home, powered by the supplied 5V wall wart. and use a USB cable with a magnetic 'breakaway' micro-USB connector on the receiver end.

For outdoor and occasional live performance use, I use a 'power bank' to avoid having to have an additional AC power source nearby.

Do you have a picture of the right angled unit?

I guess the power adapter could be plugged into any kind of power bank?

Could you post a picture of this: "Another alternative to the protruding transmitter is to use a short (1 foot) Male to Female Extension cable and simply allow the extension cable to drape over your guitar strap where it meets the lower bout button." Are you saying to connect a cable into the transmitter and attach that to the guitar strap somehow?

It is pictured somewhere here on the G10 Forums. Essentially, it is an all metal Right Angle connector 1/4" TS Male plug with a knurled exterior Female TS 1/4" Jack. Hosa sells them too. They're only a few dollars. 

As for the short cable method I mentioned, imagine if you were using a ordinary guitar cable (of any length) that you routed/draped through the space just above where your guitar strap affixes to the lower bout strap button. The difference of course, is that you would only use a 1 foot cable, and, the cable would need a female 1/4" jack on one end, into which the G10 Transmitter connects. The transmitter than simply dangles an inch or several beyond your guitar strap. If you use a 2 or 3 foot cable, the Transmitter could fit in your rear pocket, but you may loose transmission range due to the signal being partially obscured by your body.