Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

TRANSFER METAL MODEL PACK FROM HD500 TO HD500X?

Flipp15

I'm sure its possible to "de-authorize" the old one, if you will... but exactly what the process is, I don't know. Somebody will chime in. But, unless there's something wrong with your 500, there's not much point in getting the 500X...functionally, there's nothing different... just slightly more robust footswitches, and some internal chip(s) from the 500 that are no longer available. It's not really much of an "upgrade".

A better question is ---- 

why would you "upgrade"?

And why do you consider it an upgrade?

I only consider it an upgrade due to being technically a younger/newer unit(being I got mine very early), also the LEDs being placed where they are I find beneficial, and also the memory increase -which I never really run into issues with- but I think having a little extra would give me that 1x more effect unit I'm desiring.

I have no issues w/ my HD500 currently, but I am a very active gigging player, with multiple sets, setlists, custom patches and midi sequences and having a backup should always be rule #1. -and have been super fortunate w/ the board so far :)

If I remember correctly, you shouldn't have to de-authorize anything, as Line 6 will allow you to have the metal pack on up to four devices. So just authorize a new device like you did with the HD500.

If you decide you want to sell the HD500, then you may want to de-authorize the metal pack for that device, since you'll still want the metal pack for your HD500X.

I only consider it an upgrade due to being technically a younger/newer unit(being I got mine very early), also the LEDs being placed where they are I find beneficial, and also the memory increase -which I never really run into issues with- but I think having a little extra would give me that 1x more effect unit I'm desiring.

I have no issues w/ my HD500 currently, but I am a very active gigging player, with multiple sets, setlists, custom patches and midi sequences and having a backup should always be rule #1. -and have been super fortunate w/ the board so far :)

"Having a backup" - that is a reason to buy a 2nd unit. I absolutely agree with that. But after 8 years, your need for a backup seems like a poor excuse. Shouldn't a backup have been had 7 years ago? 

Regardless, as long as you have kept your unit up to date with the latest firmware - the 500, 500x, HD Pro, and HD Pro X, are all the same unit.

The software is all the same. The hardware is different. Obviously, you have 2 floor units and 2 rack units, and 2 are X models. 

The X models have more "memory", but that does nothing for the functionality of the unit and only happened because the original processor was no longer available. You are still limited to 8 effects and 2 amps just like in the original units. Some people, on the two original units have ran into issues when trying to run dual amps with 8 delays/reverbs. And that seems to be cured in the X units. 

And the 500X has new footswitches and new lights around those footswitches.

BUT, as seen here in the forums, and heard in The Tone King video, those lights can cause a low level hum/pulse.  

https://youtu.be/u7KkN1_UuWs?t=12m36s

"Having a backup" - that is a reason to buy a 2nd unit. I absolutely agree with that. But after 8 years, your need for a backup seems like a poor excuse. Shouldn't a backup have been had 7 years ago? 

-Have had actual amps, power amps and also the bands have always had backup X3 live's  as a last  resort, though as I stated, we've been super fortunate and none of us have needed a backup when using the HD's. - to note, WHY are you concerned w/ my ''excuse'' for a new unit??  

Regardless, as long as you have kept your unit up to date with the latest firmware - the 500, 500x, HD Pro, and HD Pro X, are all the same unit.

The software is all the same. The hardware is different. Obviously, you have 2 floor units and 2 rack units, and 2 are X models. 

-aware of the upgrades and similarities-as stated also, the different hardware is something appealing.

The X models have more "memory", but that does nothing for the functionality of the unit and only happened because the original processor was no longer available. You are still limited to 8 effects and 2 amps just like in the original units. Some people, on the two original units have ran into issues when trying to run dual amps with 8 delays/reverbs. And that seems to be cured in the X units. 

And the 500X has new footswitches and new lights around those footswitches.

BUT, as seen here in the forums, and heard in The Tone King video, those lights can cause a low level hum/pulse.  

-I'm aware of all that minus the circumstantial hum that can occur, that will have to be addressed if it appears in my patches.

https://youtu.be/u7KkN1_UuWs?t=12m36s

- is there a reason you are seemingly trying to argue my point to ''upgrade''.....and putting ''upgrade'' in quotes, trying to discredit the actual upgrades...??

I get that you don't buy into it being a better unit....but it IS an upgrade. There are (advertised) superior parts and expanded DSP, which would make it in fact, an upgrade-even though the tones are the same-which to me I have no issues w/ the tones, but I do w/ the DSP and lights.

I guess that hum/pulse noise in the video clip actually is due to some synth oscillator/modulation FXs in the chain, maybe the guy hit one of the open bass strings with his right hand to hear the tone

What causes it - I don't know. But it certainly isn't just him.

- is there a reason you are seemingly trying to argue my point to ''upgrade''.....and putting ''upgrade'' in quotes, trying to discredit the actual upgrades...??

I get that you don't buy into it being a better unit....but it IS an upgrade. There are (advertised) superior parts and expanded DSP, which would make it in fact, an upgrade-even though the tones are the same-which to me I have no issues w/ the tones, but I do w/ the DSP and lights.

Only because I have seen way too many people say "wow, new product, must buy it". Only to discover that they are buying the exact same unit. 

Buy it if you want. Buy it if you need a backup or your other one broke or whatever. But don't buy it expecting an upgrade. There is nothing "upgrade" about the X units.

Advertising? 

Did you expect them to say "Lookie here, you can buy the same unit with a shiny new name"? 

The whole point of advertising is to make something look really good. "New and improved"

DSP means nothing. You are still limited to 8 effects and 2 amps. Nor is it like RAM on a computer that makes programs open and close faster.  

More DSP means you can utilize an expanded configuration of the available blocks. There may be tones available on an HD500X that aren't possible on an HD500. I'm thinking mostly of dual amp/cab setups while still retaining enough DSP for simultaneous use of other effects such as delay, reverb, modulations, filters, etc. When I moved to an HD500X, this is the thing that I found the most useful.

The downside of using an HD500 as a backup is if you create tones on on HD500X, they may not be loadable on an HD500 because of DSP limits.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:56 PM, duncann said:

More DSP means you can utilize an expanded configuration of the available blocks. There may be tones available on an HD500X that aren't possible on an HD500. I'm thinking mostly of dual amp/cab setups while still retaining enough DSP for simultaneous use of other effects such as delay, reverb, modulations, filters, etc. When I moved to an HD500X, this is the thing that I found the most useful.

The downside of using an HD500 as a backup is if you create tones on on HD500X, they may not be loadable on an HD500 because of DSP limits.

- Thank you, that's really good to know, I would LOVE to have (in one patch)my Panama and the Tweed w/ the desired effects to be able to switch between verses having to have to have separate patches which in doing so causes that slight microsecond delay between switching which has that noticeable switching sound. This ability would be the MAIN reason for changing to the 500x. (and for the 500 as a backup I'd just settle w/ the way it is- which is good enough for the performance.

- - - And before anyone chimes in- sure, certain dual amp/ particular effect setups would be close and 'fine' to use, but I know what I want and that's why I'm bringing this here, I want it the way I want it -