Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects FAQ

Digital_Igloo

HX EFFECTS FAQ
Ugh, I don't wanna READ. Can't I just watch some videos?
Paul Hindmarsh's Intro Video (5:57): https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=bTZ_f6wzJaw
Learning 80% of HX Effects in less time than it takes to listen to "Never Gonna Give You Up" (3:23): www.line6.com/meet-hx-effects

FAQs are for unwashed plebeians; can I just have the full manual?
HX Effects Cheat Sheet (PDF): https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f3f175a6a1b1c440a2/application/pdf/HX%20Effects%20Cheat%20Sheet%20-%20English%20.pdf
HX Effects Owner's Manual (PDF): https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3d3f4a5a6a1897ecdf6/application/pdf/HX%20Effects%202.50%20Owners%20Manual%20-%20English%20.pdf

Is this the new M13 or M9?
Not really. HX Effects is much more powerful and flexible (and way deeper!) than M-Class processors.

So then... it's an effects-only version of Helix?
Closer. HX Effects is designed for the guitarist and bassist who embraces traditional amp and pedalboard rigs.

What effects does it have?
HX Effects has all 117 effects models from Helix. In addition, we've included a Legacy library of 77 effects from M13, M9, M5, DL4, MM4, FM4, and DM4. It does not have any amp or cab blocks; however, it can load impulse responses (IRs) for parallel stage+FOH routings and acoustic guitar body resonance.

Aww man, why couldn't you give us just one amp model block?
This box ain't for you, my friend. It's for your bandmates who love their real amps and pedals (like many of those who work at Line 6!).

Will HX Effects have the new reverbs (and Multi Pass delay) from the Helix 2.50 update?
Update it to 2.50 and it will. As 2.50 wasn't finished when the first run of HX Effects was manufactured, initial shipping units may still be at 2.40. Download the latest version of Line 6 Updater here: www.line6.com/downloads

How many effects can HX Effects run at once?
Up to nine, DSP permitting.

Can the effects be in any order?
Yes. There's a special Signal Flow menu for moving blocks around and routing them to parallel Path B, but for day-to-day operation, you just plug in and play.

Could I throw this in the loop of my Helix to add additional DSP horsepower?
I suppose you could—and with a single MIDI cable the presets would sync by default—but you probably won't need to, as the Legacy effects in Helix firmware 2.50 use notably less DSP.

Could I throw this in the loop of my Kemper, Fractal, or Atomic modeler to add a ton of new and classic Line 6 effects?
Hmmm... That's actually a pretty neat idea. Want a job?

Hold up. Six stomp switches, nine blocks. Why the disparity?
You can assign multiple blocks to the same switch and even toggle between them. Plus, you don't have to waste a footswitch on any wah, volume pedal, or FX Loop-as-4-Cable Method blocks.

So HX Effects supports 4-Cable Method?
There are two mono effects loops (or one stereo effects loop) for inserting your favorite pedals anywhere into HX Effects' signal flow and/or connecting to your amp(s) via 4CM or 7CM. There are even templates to get you started.

How do I swap footswitch assignments?
Touch-hold two footswitches and press OK. Footswitch assignments can be made independent of effects order.

I see only three edit knobs.
Press < or > for more parameters. Touch an effect switch for one second and parameters spill across the switches so you can see them all at once.

What about some of the cooler Helix features like snapshots, Pedal Edit mode, and assigning controllers in 3 seconds?
Yes.

How many presets and snapshots are there?
HX Effects has 128 preset locations, each of which has four snapshots.

Does HX Effects have true bypass?
Yes. Press MODE and TAP to bypass HX Effects completely, either via analog relays or DSP with reverb and delay trails.

Does HX Effects have a looper?
Yes. The same looper from Helix can be added as one of the nine available effects.

Does HX Effects have amp control outputs?
Yes. Each of the two expression pedal inputs can be globally switched to act as a dual amp control output. So a total of four amp controls can be accommodated. Or two amp controls and one expression pedal. Or two expression pedals. Or neither, if you're into the whole brevity thing.

Can I use HX Effects to control other pedals?
Absolutely, as well as Mac/PC/iOS* software over USB. Stomp mode switches or connected expression pedals can send a variety of MIDI messages and selecting a preset or snapshot can send up to six buffered commands. Just like its bigger brothers, HX Effects wants to be the command center of your guitar or bass rig.

*iOS control requires the Apple Camera Connection Kit

Can I customize the scribble strip labels and LED colors?
I suppose since everyone else and their mom is doing it now <cough>, yeah.

Is there a Mac/PC editor?
The same HX Edit application works with Helix, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, and HX Effects, but when HX Effects is connected, it appears as just a librarian and IR loader for now. Just update it to version 2.50. We expect to update HX Edit with full editing capabilities for HX Effects later this spring.

Does HX Effects have an audio interface?
No—it's designed for your pedalboard. It will send and receive MIDI data over USB, however.

Can I power HX Effects from my DC pedalboard supply?

Line 6 only officially supports operation with the included DC-3G. However, we have tried HX Effects with a number of third-party pedalboard power supplies and it can work, with the caveats mentioned below:

IMPORTANT NOTE #1: HX Effects has a lot of stuff going on under the hood and its six scribble strips and initial boot process pull more than your average pedal. Hence, we used a DC IN jack with a larger center pin to sort of disincentivize people from throwing whatever at it. The stock DC cables that come with the power supplies listed below will NOT fit. Note that Eventide does the exact same thing with their H9.

IMPORTANT NOTE #2: YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. Feel free to use this FAQ as a starting point, but Line 6 is not responsible for any damage incurred when using HX Effects with any third-party power supplies. That is, if someone writes "B-b-but Line 6 said I could use [power supply X!]," someone will hopefully refer them to this post where I make it perfectly clear that we only *officially* support our DC-3G.

That said, here's the far-from-comprehensive list and their tested noise specs:

• Strymon Zuma R300—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs (-140dBr)
  • Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 4x4—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs (-124dBr)
  • Godlyke Power-All PA-9D—Appears to work fine, but there is a bit of additional noise (-116dBr)
  • Truetone 1 SPOT (NW1CP2-US)—Appears to work fine, but there is additional noise (-103dBr)

What's the meaning of life?
Be excellent to each other. San Dimas High School Football rules.

Dimensions/weight? Is it smaller than M9?
10.8"w x 7.9"d x 2.8"h; 4.75lbs
HX Effects is about 1/4" wider than M9 and maybe an inch deeper. It's as small as we could possibly make it.

What's the price?
HX Effects sells for $599.99 US MAP.

When's it shipping?
Now. Remember to update it to 2.50!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Makes sense, I think the FAQ had me pondering based on

The same HX Edit application works with Helix..... We expect to update HX Edit with full editing capabilities for HX Effects later this spring.

Got me thinking it was like those applications where if you kid a preset with a module you haven't available to you it's just grayes out and bipassed. One can dream

Looks good, but why no S/PDIF I/O ?

Probably because it's not an audio interface. It's designed to fit into a traditional analog setup for a guitarist; stomp pedals, 1/4 cables, and a tube amp. No digital devices in sight, except midi.

A perfectly good question. One could also ask "why no Variax input?". Line6 is probably pretty savvy by now about sales numbers for the various units in their product line and not only considers the cost of each I/O feature versus their intended price point but also takes into consideration what will propel users to buy a different unit, e.g. the LT or Helix and how many and how quickly each unit can be produced and sold. I was more surprised to see the Variax input left off because one would think this would help drive Variax sales but one reason could be that they calculated that the additional cost to the unit would cut into sales to people who have no intention of ever using a Variax. The same logic might apply to a S/PDIF connection. And again, those who want to use a Variax or S/PDIF will just have to step up to an LT or Helix which may be where they want to drive those users. Some of these decisions may not make immediate sense to us consumers but make a lot of sense during sales meetings backed up by sales numbers and projections with lots of pretty graphs and pictures in a PowerPoint presentation. With all that said, who knows what a later deluxe version of the HX Effects device may include. Just speculating though. Currently as a Helix user I am too enthralled by the prospect of all the great stuff in the 2.50 update to be concerned about any I/O options not included on the 'HX Effects' device but I know these questions will be coming up more frequently as the sales pick up for the 'HX Effects'.

Hi, is it dual DSP,like normal helix, or single, the normal helix says 32 effects at the same time, this is nine ?

HX Effects has a single 450MHz SHARC ADSP-21469, so exactly half the DSP of Helix Floor, Rack/Control, and LT.

Two big reasons:

• HX Effects is designed for your pedalboard, and S/PDIF doesn't really apply there
  • Size was really important and it's exactly wide enough to accommodate the ins and outs most commonly used by amp and pedalboard guys

I know, I know. This isn’t for us who would like to replace our whole rig. But god damn it, this is exactly the form factor and footprint that I’m after.

I’m a bass player and was leaning towards the Helix LT, but in my opinion it has too much and is a tad too big.

This unit would be perfect for me, if it wasn’t the little detail that it isn’t. Today I’m running a B7K and a Le Bass in series (to get the midi switchability and cab sim).

In my twisted mind I’m working on a way to get this without L6 knowing.

For me it might be sufficient with the Obsidian 7000 block and an IR. But that would depend on how good the O7K is.

I would get the “preampâ€, some FX, IR and full MIDI switchability. This would be a dealbreaker for me.

Add a (separate) DI and go direct to FOH/IEM.

What I would like L6 to do is realese the Busy One (or some other bass related preamp/amp block) in the next firmware upgrade. I for one would love this and I think this would be a great nod to all us bass players out here.

First off, really excited about this product. Thank you. I am looking forward to it's future.  With that being said, I have a few major concerns when using this in a professional setting.

1.) HX Effects still seems to have the same problem that the M Series boxes had with receiving Midi Clock and using it correctly.  When using the HX effects in a recording situation, it simply doesn't stay with the click long enough to be useful.  It will either waver, or just not accept the correct tempo. With this being the case, the great time based effects are rendered somewhat useless. :(. I was really looking forward to this problem being fixed. Will this issue be fixed in the near future?

In addition to not accepting/outputting the Midi clock correctly:

2.) The tap tempo LED shows no point of reference.  It just blinks on and off in no appropriate tempo.

3.) The is no BPM readout when sending an external clock to the HX Effects unit.  It just reads "Extrnl."   This would be ok if the first issue addressed above didn't exist.

In addition: it would be great to have an assigned midi cc to restart  pattern effects from the top of their phrase without altering the tempo information.

First off, really excited about this product. Thank you. I am looking forward to it's future.  With that being said, I have a few major concerns when using this in a professional setting.

1.) HX Effects still seems to have the same problem that the M Series boxes had with receiving Midi Clock and using it correctly.  When using the HX effects in a recording situation, it simply doesn't stay with the click long enough to be useful.  It will either waver, or just not accept the correct tempo. With this being the case, the great time based effects are rendered somewhat useless. :(. I was really looking forward to this problem being fixed. Will this issue be fixed in the near future?

In addition to not accepting/outputting the Midi clock correctly:

2.) The tap tempo LED shows no point of reference.  It just blinks on and off in no appropriate tempo.

3.) The is no BPM readout when sending an external clock to the HX Effects unit.  It just reads "Extrnl."   This would be ok if the first issue addressed above didn't exist.

In addition: it would be great to have an assigned midi cc to restart  pattern effects from the top of their phrase without altering the tempo information.

Have you updated to the 2.50 firmware?

MIDI clock is kind of has a lot of inherent drift, but I would be surprised it would be that noticeable. When you say it doesn't stay with the click, what exactly is losing sync? What are you using to send the MIDI clock signal? Have you tried other sources?

I don't have an HXFX to test, but the MIDI clock on the Helix has been working quite well for me for a long time now.

Have you updated to the 2.50 firmware?

MIDI clock is kind of has a lot of inherent drift, but I would be surprised it would be that noticeable. When you say it doesn't stay with the click, what exactly is losing sync? What are you using to send the MIDI clock signal? Have you tried other sources?

I don't have an HXFX to test, but the MIDI clock on the Helix has been working quite well for me for a long time now.

Yes, I Have updated to  Version 2.50.

At 120 bpm, it is fairly locked in for around 29 bars.  But as you slow your bpm down, it starts drifting more and more.  Down to 70 bpm it gets off by almost half a beat after only 4 bars.  The sources I have tried so far are the Selah Effects Quartz Version 2, Protools Midi beat clock, and Logic Pro X midi beat clock.

Unfortunately it's enough drift to not only be noticeable, but un-usable at this point in time. Mainly when using square wave tremolos and sequencing effects.  I'm also unable to "reset" a pattern on a bar's downbeat by pressing the TAP foot switch once.  A feature, that was on the M series.  If there was a midi cc assigned to restart a pattern without altering the tempo, this would be extremely helpful.  

Also, if the TAP LED aligned with the preset/global tempo. (This was pretty reliable in the M series pedals).  As of now, it drifts.

Also, If the HXFX unit could tell us (confirm) what tempo it is tracking and receiving from the external clock source, this would be immensely helpful.

This is a terrific unit.  I would love to see these features added as I'm sure many day-to-day users would.  It would be very useful. Thanks for your time!

• Like 1

Yes, I Have updated to  Version 2.50.

At 120 bpm, it is fairly locked in for around 29 bars.  But as you slow your bpm down, it starts drifting more and more.  Down to 70 bpm it gets off by almost half a beat after only 4 bars.  The sources I have tried so far are the Selah Effects Quartz Version 2, Protools Midi beat clock, and Logic Pro X midi beat clock.

Unfortunately it's enough drift to not only be noticeable, but un-usable at this point in time. Mainly when using square wave tremolos and sequencing effects.  I'm also unable to "reset" a pattern on a bar's downbeat by pressing the TAP foot switch once.  A feature, that was on the M series.  If there was a midi cc assigned to restart a pattern without altering the tempo, this would be extremely helpful.  

Also, if the TAP LED aligned with the preset/global tempo. (This was pretty reliable in the M series pedals).  As of now, it drifts.

Also, If the HXFX unit could tell us (confirm) what tempo it is tracking and receiving from the external clock source, this would be immensely helpful.

This is a terrific unit.  I would love to see these features added as I'm sure many day-to-day users would.  It would be very useful. Thanks for your time!

I would open a support ticket about the tempo drifting https://line6.com/support/tickets/

As far the re-starting the LFO thing, I imagine that will be coming. That was added in the Helix not long ago.

As a new HX Effects user, my introduction hasn't been off to a stellar start.

Opened the box, played around, setup a patch, tried different effects. So far so good.

Knew firmware was 2.4, so I tried to download software to update it.  Downloaded 2.5, USB Driver, Updater.  Updater opens and is blank.  Then it won't open.  No error, nothing, just won't open.  Reloaded, Uninstalled, reinstalled, reboot, tried another computer.  Opens once, blank, won't open at all.  Try the same sequence again, nothing.  Finally download HX Edit.  Now it works, but I get an error about setlists. (Failed to get setlist names - Badly formatted response from device. code -8214). I read somewhere a patch might be bad.  Delete my custom patch, same error, factory reset, same error, finally after poking around in the manual, it looks like there are no setlists in HX Effects.  Why are you giving me an error if the product doesn't support it?  I get a -8606 error trying to export the default patches (and this is after a factory reset). Won't do a create backup (error -8214). Makes me feel like the update didn't really work properly, but if I try to run it again it gives me an error (it doesn't say I already have it, it just errors out)...  appreciate any insight.

Hoping playing some more with the effects options will calm me down.

• Upvote 1

As a new HX Effects user, my introduction hasn't been off to a stellar start.

Opened the box, played around, setup a patch, tried different effects. So far so good.

Knew firmware was 2.4, so I tried to download software to update it.  Downloaded 2.5, USB Driver, Updater.  Updater opens and is blank.  Then it won't open.  No error, nothing, just won't open.  Reloaded, Uninstalled, reinstalled, reboot, tried another computer.  Opens once, blank, won't open at all.  Try the same sequence again, nothing.  Finally download HX Edit.  Now it works, but I get an error about setlists. (Failed to get setlist names - Badly formatted response from device. code -8214). I read somewhere a patch might be bad.  Delete my custom patch, same error, factory reset, same error, finally after poking around in the manual, it looks like there are no setlists in HX Effects.  Why are you giving me an error if the product doesn't support it?  I get a -8606 error trying to export the default patches (and this is after a factory reset). Won't do a create backup (error -8214). Makes me feel like the update didn't really work properly, but if I try to run it again it gives me an error (it doesn't say I already have it, it just errors out)...  appreciate any insight.

Hoping playing some more with the effects options will calm me down.

Hey there, I had almost the same issues. I kept re-trying over and over until it finally let me update.  Still getting some of the same messages you are but it doesn't seem to be anything other than bugs.

Hi

Can I view more than 4 snapshots per preset using an external footswitch as boss FS6 or reprogramming switches 1 and 6? Can I have more than 4 presets per bank?

Thank you very much

There are only 4 snapshots in a preset, and this is simply a limit of the way the architecture of the unit is set up. You can recall snapshots with an external MIDI controller, but not with a simple N/C or N/O footswitch. Same thing with presets - the 4 preset per bank is "hardwired" into the system architecture, and, again, you can recall presets with a MIDI controller if you want to.

Hoping for some help.  So far I haven't found the answer to this question.

I'm very excited about the potential of the HX Effects.  Can it be used in 4CM AND THEN use an IR to send to FOH or into a recording interface?

I've looked at the I/O and for the life of me I can't figure out how to do this:

Guitar in to the HX Effects

HXE Send to front of Amp

Amp FX Send to HXE Return

HXE L Output to Amp Return

So far, sog good. THEN

I want to send the out from my amp (or from a power soak) back into the HX Effects and use a cabinet model or IR and send this out to either FOH or into a recording console.

Is this possible?

Hoping for some help.  So far I haven't found the answer to this question.

I'm very excited about the potential of the HX Effects.  Can it be used in 4CM AND THEN use an IR to send to FOH or into a recording interface?

I've looked at the I/O and for the life of me I can't figure out how to do this:

Guitar in to the HX Effects

HXE Send to front of Amp

Amp FX Send to HXE Return

HXE L Output to Amp Return

So far, sog good. THEN

I want to send the out from my amp (or from a power soak) back into the HX Effects and use a cabinet model or IR and send this out to either FOH or into a recording console.

Is this possible?

Yes, it should be possible. You can split the effects loop up so it acts as two mono loops (or two independent sends/outputs and two independent returns/inputs). So what you could do is connect everything like you said, and in the Signal Path view put the IR block in Path B. Then you would set the output of Path B to be Send 2. Send 2 would be the feed you would send to the mixer.

• Upvote 1

Hey there, I had almost the same issues. I kept re-trying over and over until it finally let me update.  Still getting some of the same messages you are but it doesn't seem to be anything other than bugs.

Line 6 has confirmed the errors in HX Edit are an issue and they are fixing.  To others who are just trying to do the update - only download HX Edit and it will install USB and Updater as well.

• Upvote 1

Hi first post here and really excited about the HX Effects. If I am reading the manual correctly, a send/return block will take up one of the 9 blocks. For example, I have a delay pedal in one of the send/return jacks. I now have my delay pedal plus 8 more effects (blocks). The same would go for IR's. Load and IR and now you only have 8 blocks. Is this correct? Also, in using the 4 cable method will that eat up a block as well? 

Hi first post here and really excited about the HX Effects. If I am reading the manual correctly, a send/return block will take up one of the 9 blocks. For example, I have a delay pedal in one of the send/return jacks. I now have my delay pedal plus 8 more effects (blocks). The same would go for IR's. Load and IR and now you only have 8 blocks. Is this correct? Also, in using the 4 cable method will that eat up a block as well? 

Yes, you're correct on all points.

2 days in. Digging it. The Helix software editor will be a big plus when it’s available later this spring. I am a bit surprised there aren’t more presets with sample sounds out of the box...not many to play through to get familiar with unit. I am used to plugging in new units like this and trying out “Avenues With No Name†and “Messages From A Bottle.â€

I just received my HX Effects (purchased from Sweetwater) and I love it!  I own two Godlyke Power-all PA-9D's - in a custom made pedalboard snake - neither of which will power on the unit. I am using the correct "cable green" (for Line 6) adapter.

For reference...

-The two Godlyke's (individually) will power on my M9.

-The M9's power supply will power up the HX Effects

Please tell us, if you used some magical version of the Godlyke power supply from the planet Asgard, let us know. 

Despite the power supply issue, I'm supremely happy with the HX Effects!

HX EFFECTS FAQ
Ugh, I don’t wanna READ. Can’t I just watch some videos?
Paul Hindmarsh’s Intro Video (5:57): https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=bTZ_f6wzJaw
Learning 80% of HX Effects in less time than it takes to listen to “Never Gonna Give You Up†(3:23): www.line6.com/meet-hx-effects

FAQs are for unwashed plebeians; can I just have the full manual?
HX Effects Cheat Sheet (PDF): https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f3f175a6a1b1c440a2/application/pdf/HX%20Effects%20Cheat%20Sheet%20-%20English%20.pdf
HX Effects Owner’s Manual (PDF): https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3d3f4a5a6a1897ecdf6/application/pdf/HX%20Effects%202.50%20Owners%20Manual%20-%20English%20.pdf

Is this the new M13 or M9?
Not really. HX Effects is much more powerful and flexible (and way deeper!) than M-Class processors.

So then… it’s an effects-only version of Helix?
Closer. HX Effects is designed for the guitarist and bassist who embraces traditional amp and pedalboard rigs.

What effects does it have?
HX Effects has all 117 effects models from Helix. In addition, we’ve included a Legacy library of 77 effects from M13, M9, M5, DL4, MM4, FM4, and DM4. It does not have any amp or cab blocks; however, it can load impulse responses (IRs) for parallel stage+FOH routings and acoustic guitar body resonance.

Aww man, why couldn’t you give us just one amp model block?
This box ain’t for you, my friend. It’s for your bandmates who love their real amps and pedals (like many of those who work at Line 6!).

Will HX Effects have the new reverbs (and Multi Pass delay) from the Helix 2.50 update?
Update it to 2.50 and it will. As 2.50 wasn’t finished when the first run of HX Effects was manufactured, initial shipping units may still be at 2.40. Download the latest version of Line 6 Updater here: www.line6.com/downloads

How many effects can HX Effects run at once?
Up to nine, DSP permitting.

Can the effects be in any order?
Yes. There’s a special Signal Flow menu for moving blocks around and routing them to parallel Path B, but for day-to-day operation, you just plug in and play.

Could I throw this in the loop of my Helix to add additional DSP horsepower?
I suppose you could—and with a single MIDI cable the presets would sync by default—but you probably won’t need to, as the Legacy effects in Helix firmware 2.50 use notably less DSP.

Could I throw this in the loop of my Kemper, Fractal, or Atomic modeler to add a ton of new and classic Line 6 effects?
Hmmm… That’s actually a pretty neat idea. Want a job?

Hold up. Six stomp switches, nine blocks. Why the disparity?
You can assign multiple blocks to the same switch and even toggle between them. Plus, you don’t have to waste a footswitch on any wah, volume pedal, or FX Loop-as-4-Cable Method blocks.

So HX Effects supports 4-Cable Method?
There are two mono effects loops (or one stereo effects loop) for inserting your favorite pedals anywhere into HX Effects’ signal flow and/or connecting to your amp(s) via 4CM or 7CM. There are even templates to get you started.

How do I swap footswitch assignments?
Touch-hold two footswitches and press OK. Footswitch assignments can be made independent of effects order.

I see only three edit knobs.
Press < or > for more parameters. Touch an effect switch for one second and parameters spill across the switches so you can see them all at once.

What about some of the cooler Helix features like snapshots, Pedal Edit mode, and assigning controllers in 3 seconds?
Yes.

How many presets and snapshots are there?
HX Effects has 128 preset locations, each of which has four snapshots.

Does HX Effects have true bypass?
Yes. Press MODE and TAP to bypass HX Effects completely, either via analog relays or DSP with reverb and delay trails.

Does HX Effects have a looper?
Yes. The same looper from Helix can be added as one of the nine available effects.

Does HX Effects have amp control outputs?
Yes. Each of the two expression pedal inputs can be globally switched to act as a dual amp control output. So a total of four amp controls can be accommodated. Or two amp controls and one expression pedal. Or two expression pedals. Or neither, if you’re into the whole brevity thing.

Can I use HX Effects to control other pedals?
Absolutely, as well as Mac/PC/iOS* software over USB. Stomp mode switches or connected expression pedals can send a variety of MIDI messages and selecting a preset or snapshot can send up to six buffered commands. Just like its bigger brothers, HX Effects wants to be the command center of your guitar or bass rig.

*iOS control requires the Apple Camera Connection Kit

Can I customize the scribble strip labels and LED colors?
I suppose since everyone else and their mom is doing it now <cough>, yeah.

The same HX Edit application works with Helix, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, and HX Effects, but when HX Effects is connected, it appears as just a librarian and IR loader for now. Just update it to version 2.50. We expect to update HX Edit with full editing capabilities for HX Effects later this spring.

Does HX Effects have an audio interface?
No—it’s designed for your pedalboard. It will send and receive MIDI data over USB, however.

Can I power HX Effects from my DC pedalboard supply?

Line 6 only officially supports operation with the included DC-3G. However, we have tried HX Effects with a number of third-party pedalboard power supplies and it can work, with the caveats mentioned below:

IMPORTANT NOTE #1: HX Effects has a lot of stuff going on under the hood and its six scribble strips and initial boot process pull more than your average pedal. Hence, we used a DC IN jack with a larger center pin to sort of disincentivize people from throwing whatever at it. The stock DC cables that come with the power supplies listed below will NOT fit. Note that Eventide does the exact same thing with their H9.

IMPORTANT NOTE #2: YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. Feel free to use this FAQ as a starting point, but Line 6 is not responsible for any damage incurred when using HX Effects with any third-party power supplies. That is, if someone writes "B-b-but Line 6 said I could use [power supply X!]," someone will hopefully refer them to this post where I make it perfectly clear that we only *officially* support our DC-3G.

That said, here's the far-from-comprehensive list and their tested noise specs:

• Strymon Zuma R300—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs (-140dBr)
  • Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 4x4—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs (-124dBr)
  • Godlyke Power-All PA-9D—Appears to work fine, but there is a bit of additional noise (-116dBr)
  • Truetone 1 SPOT (NW1CP2-US)—Appears to work fine, but there is additional noise (-103dBr)

What’s the meaning of life?
Be excellent to each other. San Dimas High School Football rules.

Dimensions/weight? Is it smaller than M9?
10.8â€w x 7.9â€d x 2.8â€h; 4.75lbs
HX Effects is about 1/4†wider than M9 and maybe an inch deeper. It’s as small as we could possibly make it.

What’s the price?
HX Effects sells for $599.99 US MAP.

When’s it shipping?
HX Effects is in select North American dealers now; we expect it to appear in Europe and the rest of the world in mid-to-late February. If you snag one now, remember to update it to 2.50!

Hello!

Thank you for reading this post and being patient with a newbie. 

I love the HX and was lucky to snag one from Musician's Friend for my birthday gift. 

I've run into two issues so far, and I'm sure that they are user error:

1) When I use the four-cable method, it bypasses the volume control on my amplifier (Mesa Boogie 5:25 Express Plus -- Serial FX Loop.)
2) I've plugged a Boss FV-500 H Expression Pedal into the Pedal 2 jack, but it doesn't have any effect on the volume. 

I suspect that both of these questions might have something to do with Signal Flow options?

I'd appreciate any advice. 

Hello!

Thank you for reading this post and being patient with a newbie. 

I love the HX and was lucky to snag one from Musician's Friend for my birthday gift. 

I've run into two issues so far, and I'm sure that they are user error:

1) When I use the four-cable method, it bypasses the volume control on my amplifier (Mesa Boogie 5:25 Express Plus -- Serial FX Loop.)

2) I've plugged a Boss FV-500 H Expression Pedal into the Pedal 2 jack, but it doesn't have any effect on the volume. 

I suspect that both of these questions might have something to do with Signal Flow options?

I'd appreciate any advice. 

Update: I figured out item 2: it was necessary to add a volume block and then assign the pedal to it. So, please disregard that question. 

Update: I figured out item 2: it was necessary to add a volume block and then assign the pedal to it. So, please disregard that question. 

Hello--still struggling with getting the four-cable method to work. I've followed the instructions from the manual, but that has only gotten me so far. Everything works except that it bypasses all of my amplifier controls other than the reverb. Any ideas?

Hello--still struggling with getting the four-cable method to work. I've followed the instructions from the manual, but that has only gotten me so far. Everything works except that it bypasses all of my amplifier controls other than the reverb. Any ideas?

It sounds like you don't have an FX Loop block in your signal chain. Even if you have the effects loop jacks physically connected, you won't get any signal through the loop until you insert it as an effect block.

• Upvote 1

It sounds like you don't have an FX Loop block in your signal chain. Even if you have the effects loop jacks physically connected, you won't get any signal through the loop until you insert it as an effect block.

Thank you, Phil. I don't have Send or Return blocks in the loop. I'll try to find how to configure those in the manual. 

Thank you, Phil. I don't have Send or Return blocks in the loop. I'll try to find how to configure those in the manual. 

Hello Phil--With your help, I was able to get just what I wanted!

Compressor (FS1) --> Acoustic IR (FS2) -->FX Loop 1-->Optical Trem (FS3) -->Chorus (FS4) -->Reverb (FS5)-->Ext Amp (FS6)

As near as I can tell, this places the Compressor and Acoustic IR before the amp and the Trem, Chorus, and Reverb in the FX loop of the Mesa Amp. 

Thank you so very much!

I just got the HX from Sweetwater yesterday.

A couple of questions:

1) One buggy item- after exploring the HX for a while, when I change a stompbox effect to a different model with the "big knob" , the effect keeps changing back to the original. If I reboot the HX, then the effect change will stick as it should. 

2) I can't figure out how to save a stompbox configuration as a scene, like I can do on the M 9

Hey Folks -

Just received my HX Effects and am having an issue with the 4CM into my Matchless HC30.  For some reason when connecting using the 4CM, the signal strength to the amplifier drops significantly -- like the amp's volume knob has been turned down significantly.  Same 4CM with same cables works totally fine with my Fractal FX8.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but the Matchless uses a stereo "Y" cable into a single port.  Below is the verbiage from the Matchless website about the loop.  Anyone have any ideas for me?  Is there a setting I'm missing?

Each jack is configured in a Ring, Tip, Sleeve manner similar to a recording studio console insert point. Each jack is of the normalizing type and contains the send and return information on a single ¼“ stereo phone jack. The Tip is used for the send signal and the Ring is used for the return signal. The Sleeve is ground. The SEND signal is derived just after the channel volume control and the RETURN signal is inserted at the phase inverter, just before the Master volume control.

A Stereo “Y-cord†is required for loop operation. When the loop is not being used, the signal is “normalized†through the jack. The effects loop option is intended for use with guitar type foot pedals and semi-pro level rack type effects. It is not designed to drive effects units requiring high level signals (+4), as encountered in a professional recording studio.

Hey. Was wondering if anyone can help me. I have a Marshall VS100 head with 3 channels (clean / OD1 / OD2). It has a 2 button footswitch that connects to a single TRS 1/4 Jack. All buttons off means clean / left button on means OD1, and all buttons on mean OD2). In case it matters, left button off / right button on is also clean. 

So given that I am getting 3 amp functions with a single 1/4 TRS jack now, how does that translate to what outputs I need to use for the Helix FX?  Could I get access to all 3 channels from a single one of those amp/exp Helix outputs, or would I need some Y cable thing and use both of those Helix outputs?  Or is it impossible in either case?

Any ideas?  Trying to see if id have the ability to control all 3 channels with one of the Helix AMP / EXP outputs so I could still use an expression pedal for the other Helix AMP / EXP output.

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic