Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects FAQ

Digital_Igloo

1) Can I use both Helix and HX Effects with the editor at the same time? Or, can I open HX edit twice, one instance for each unit on a Mac?

2) Can I use HX Effects to increase the number of footswitches in a Helix preset?

I'm going to guess the answer to number 1 is no...

As far number 2, the answer is definitely yes.

Possibly silly question, but does the EX 1 expression pedal work with the HXE, or do I need to get the Mission EP1 pedal?

Assuming you're talking about the Mission Engineering EP1-L6, yes, either would work.

Is there anyway to have a remote “button†to turn the snapshot mode on and off so i don’t have to press the bank up and down buttons together to toggle between the two? A one button midi switch or something like that? And if so anyone know where to get a one button midi foot pedal? Lol

Hi,

I am a diehard M13 user and I'm strongly considering getting an HX Effects. The one thing that has not been specifically pointed out in any of the demos or forums I've looked at is whether or not there is the looper pre/post effects capability (like the M13 easily allows with the touch of a switch on the fly). This is something I use quite often and some songs i've written with one of my bands rely on it heavily. Is it possible to move the looper in the signal flow with snapshots or a footswitch?

I really would love to own one of these. This question above is the last thing I've been eager to know before making the purchase.

Hope to hear from you soon and thank you for making truly badass multi-effects units!

Hi,

I am a diehard M13 user and I'm strongly considering getting an HX Effects. The one thing that has not been specifically pointed out in any of the demos or forums I've looked at is whether or not there is the looper pre/post effects capability (like the M13 easily allows with the touch of a switch on the fly). This is something I use quite often and some songs i've written with one of my bands rely on it heavily. Is it possible to move the looper in the signal flow with snapshots or a footswitch?

I really would love to own one of these. This question above is the last thing I've been eager to know before making the purchase.

Hope to hear from you soon and thank you for making truly badass multi-effects units!

You can put the looper block anywhere in the chain on a preset per preset basis, and the recorded loop will carry over between presets as long as you have the looper block in each preset you're going to. You can't change it's position in a single preset, though. The main difference between the M13 and the HXFX is that the looper is an actual block you have to insert in the signal chain, whereas with the 13, it was just always there.

Hi, just got the HXFx love the sound so far, but needed to check something. I’m using the HXFx for mods, and ambient sounds... I love my drive section on the board currently. I also have a great delay that I’m running in the fx loop of the HXFx ... wondering if I need to put my drive section in the fx loop as well or if I can just run it into the input of the HXFx? If I do so will it hurt anything ? Technically my drive section is supposed to ‘drive the front end of the amp’ but I’m wondering if it will also distort the HXFx

You can put the looper block anywhere in the chain on a preset per preset basis, and the recorded loop will carry over between presets as long as you have the looper block in each preset you're going to. You can't change it's position in a single preset, though. The main difference between the M13 and the HXFX is that the looper is an actual block you have to insert in the signal chain, whereas with the 13, it was just always there.

Ah, I see. So I could create presets with the looper at the front of the signal flow and change to them live without any interruption in the loops I've created in other presets? If this is the case, I'm set on getting one. 

One other question that came to mind: Can I use the DOD Mini Expression Pedal (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DODMiniExp--dod-mini-expression-pedal) on the TS setting with the HX effects? 

Ah, I see. So I could create presets with the looper at the front of the signal flow and change to them live without any interruption in the loops I've created in other presets? If this is the case, I'm set on getting one. 

One other question that came to mind: Can I use the DOD Mini Expression Pedal (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DODMiniExp--dod-mini-expression-pedal) on the TS setting with the HX effects?

Hi ashbizzarre,

Just to clarify the looper question, page 23 of the user manual states:

IMPORTANT! You may change presets while looping, but loop playback will stop unless the preset you select includes the same type of looper block (mono or stereo).

Hope that helps.

Also, AFAIK - The DOD mini Exp unit should work fine with he HX FX unit, as long as you can cope with the tiny thing.

Hi, just got the HXFx love the sound so far, but needed to check something. I’m using the HXFx for mods, and ambient sounds... I love my drive section on the board currently. I also have a great delay that I’m running in the fx loop of the HXFx ... wondering if I need to put my drive section in the fx loop as well or if I can just run it into the input of the HXFx? If I do so will it hurt anything ? Technically my drive section is supposed to ‘drive the front end of the amp’ but I’m wondering if it will also distort the HXFx

You shouldn't have any issues with drive or boost pedals clipping the HXfx - just want to make sure whatever input or loop you are using is set to "instrument" level.

The one advantage of having your drive pedals in an fx loop is the ability to place the loop anywhere in the signal path on a per preset basis.

So on one preset you may want your drive loop to be the first block in the signal chain, while on the next you may want to place it later (after, say, a mod or wah block).

Hello,

I got my HX effects yesterday and was super stoked about how good it sounded and how easy it was to use. I'm using it using the 4CM on my tube amp and I had some nasty bugs popping up with the 2.40 firmware. When you insert an FX Loop block and save the preset, it would not boot. When turning it on it would remain on the boot screen where it shows the firmware number (2.40) and you would hear the relay go click (this is normal) but instead of going to stomp or preset mode it would remain in that state. No sound was produced. This happened no matter what effects were used in the preset. I even tried a patch that only had an FX Loop block in it. The only way to be able to boot normally was to do a patch reset on boot (FS6 and TAP held when turning it on).

I tried to run the update on a Windows 10 machine, but as another user mentioned, it won't start when following the instructions on the update process video. Yes, I installed the driver and the updater. When I changed the steps to booting up the HX after the updater was up, it would crash and close. I was lucky enough to have a Mac around and I used that to update, it worked. This also solved the boot. I would've returned it if I wasn't able to update with my Windows machine. This is a huge deal given the severity of the bug in the shipped firmware. I think Line 6 should really resolve that fast and bring more visibility on the issues out for customers.

That said, I am super stoked about how cool this thing is, especially when used with the 4CM on a great sounding amp. When I was first trying to set up the connections, I saw a small blurb on the manual that presets labeled with '4CM' were in the unit as a starting point, but I couldn't find anything like that. My unit had presets on banks 1-6, I think, definitely less than 10 banks, and I couldn't find any preset with that kind of name. I went online to try to find videos specific for the HX, but could only find videos for the Helix. On the video I watched, the content creator used two blocks, Send 1 and Return 1. This didn't behave as expected in the HX. What I had to do was insert a single 'FX Loop' block at the desired split point in the chain and that worked exactly as I expected. I mention this because it's the most flexible way to use the unit that's designed to be used as a pedalboard with an amp whose characteristics you want to maintain, but the manual doesn't do a very good job of describing the process other than connections and no sample presets could be found.

Hello,

I got my HX effects yesterday and was super stoked about how good it sounded and how easy it was to use. I'm using it using the 4CM on my tube amp and I had some nasty bugs popping up with the 2.40 firmware. When you insert an FX Loop block and save the preset, it would not boot. When turning it on it would remain on the boot screen where it shows the firmware number (2.40) and you would hear the relay go click (this is normal) but instead of going to stomp or preset mode it would remain in that state. No sound was produced. This happened no matter what effects were used in the preset. I even tried a patch that only had an FX Loop block in it. The only way to be able to boot normally was to do a patch reset on boot (FS6 and TAP held when turning it on).

I tried to run the update on a Windows 10 machine, but as another user mentioned, it won't start when following the instructions on the update process video. Yes, I installed the driver and the updater. When I changed the steps to booting up the HX after the updater was up, it would crash and close. I was lucky enough to have a Mac around and I used that to update, it worked. This also solved the boot. I would've returned it if I wasn't able to update with my Windows machine. This is a huge deal given the severity of the bug in the shipped firmware. I think Line 6 should really resolve that fast and bring more visibility on the issues out for customers.

That said, I am super stoked about how cool this thing is, especially when used with the 4CM on a great sounding amp. When I was first trying to set up the connections, I saw a small blurb on the manual that presets labeled with '4CM' were in the unit as a starting point, but I couldn't find anything like that. My unit had presets on banks 1-6, I think, definitely less than 10 banks, and I couldn't find any preset with that kind of name. I went online to try to find videos specific for the HX, but could only find videos for the Helix. On the video I watched, the content creator used two blocks, Send 1 and Return 1. This didn't behave as expected in the HX. What I had to do was insert a single 'FX Loop' block at the desired split point in the chain and that worked exactly as I expected. I mention this because it's the most flexible way to use the unit that's designed to be used as a pedalboard with an amp whose characteristics you want to maintain, but the manual doesn't do a very good job of describing the process other than connections and no sample presets could be found.

The update worked for me on windows 10, I was futzing with the 4CM for a few days before I got it figured out as to where to set the FX Loop and other effects. So many options and theres not a lot of instruction on some things in the manual where they explain the 4CM especially.

I have received NX,I’m having trouble getting the editor up and running,I can see the preset list,and change the presets via my Mac,so it is communicating But can’t get the full editor.

I know there is a tab that expands it,there is no tab on my editor,while it’s making its connection the full screen is visible,it disappears once it’s connected.

Everything updated to latest Firmware etc

My other problem,I connected it with the 4cm,to my Friedman Deluxe 50,with the volumes all off I was getting sound

Can someone please explain exactly what I should be doing.My FX8 works flawlessly on the same amp same cables

I have received NX,I’m having trouble getting the editor up and running,I can see the preset list,and change the presets via my Mac,so it is communicating But can’t get the full editor.

I know there is a tab that expands it,there is no tab on my editor,while it’s making its connection the full screen is visible,it disappears once it’s connected.

My other problem,I connected it with the 4cm,to my Friedman Deluxe 50,with the volumes all off I was getting sound

Can someone please explain exactly what I should be doing.My FX8 works flawlessly on the same amp same cables

The editor portion of HX Edit isn't supported by the HX FX yet. That will be coming soon... Right now, only the preset librarian and IR loading feature work with HX FX.

As far as the 4CM, it sounds like you need to insert the FX Loop block in your patch. Hooking up the cables to the send and return jacks alone won't do it.

The editor portion of HX Edit isn't supported by the HX FX yet. That will be coming soon... Right now, only the preset librarian and IR loading feature work with HX FX.

As far as the 4CM, it sounds like you need to insert the FX Loop block in your patch. Hooking up the cables to the send and return jacks alone won't do it.

Okay I’m a noob don’t really understand inserting a fx block in my patch,the factory ones don’t also work

Could you also explain how to channel switch my Amp TRS jack into the Pedal/Amp atm I have now no sound leads are all good

Very frustrating,is there a video that demos how to setup for Amp switching.

Okay I’m a noob don’t really understand inserting a fx block in my patch,the factory ones don’t also work

Could you also explain how to channel switch my Amp TRS jack into the Pedal/Amp atm I have now no sound leads are all good

Very frustrating,is there a video that demos how to setup for Amp switching.

If you look at pg 28 of the manual, it tells you how to get to Signal Flow View. Once in that view, you'll be able to see all 9 blocks in your preset. Turn the big knob to go to an empty block location and select the FX loop block (FX Loop 1). You'll want to move that block to where you want it in the signal flow. Any blocks before the FX loop will be in front of your amp and any blocks after the loop will be in your amp's effects loop.

Just bought new HX Effects.  Updated it to 2.5.

Now trying to use HX Edit 2.52.  When I launch it, all I see is the preset panel.  There is NO edit panel.  (When it first launches, you see it, but then when it connects to the HX effects, the panel disappears.)  So all can see is the preset tab and the IR tab.

Just bought new HX Effects.  Updated it to 2.5.

Now trying to use HX Edit 2.52.  When I launch it, all I see is the preset panel.  There is NO edit panel.  (When it first launches, you see it, but then when it connects to the HX effects, the panel disappears.)  So all can see is the preset tab and the IR tab.

That is all you should be seeing right now. The editor support hasn't been added yet. It should be added sometime within the next few months. Per the FAQs in the first post in this thread:

Is there a Mac/PC editor?

The same HX Edit application works with Helix, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, and HX Effects, but when HX Effects is connected, it appears as just a librarian and IR loader for now. Just update it to version 2.50. We expect to update HX Edit with full editing capabilities for HX Effects later this spring.

I have been using the my HX Effects in my 5150iii 50 Watts fx loop.

I then have a Strymon Timeline in the HX's FX loop 1 and a Big Sky in FX loop 2.

I run the Send from the amp to the HX Input and the Return from the HX Output.

Anyone know if either the In/Outs of the HX need to be set to Instrument or Line levels?

I have been using the my HX Effects in my 5150iii 50 Watts fx loop.

I then have a Strymon Timeline in the HX's FX loop 1 and a Big Sky in FX loop 2.

I run the Send from the amp to the HX Input and the Return from the HX Output.

Anyone know if either the In/Outs of the HX need to be set to Instrument or Line levels?

I believe the 5150 iii's effects loop is line level... So line level would be where I'd start for the HXFX's main in and out. You'd want to keep the HXFX's FX loops at instrument level.

Is there a recommended order for powering up and down the HX FX, amp and any external pedals or more so issues cause via midi and saved midi information?

Nope... Doesn’t really matter. As with any audio application, it’s always best practice to power down the amp before powering down the stuff connected to it.

If you look at pg 28 of the manual, it tells you how to get to Signal Flow View. Once in that view, you'll be able to see all 9 blocks in your preset. Turn the big knob to go to an empty block location and select the FX loop block (FX Loop 1). You'll want to move that block to where you want it in the signal flow. Any blocks before the FX loop will be in front of your amp and any blocks after the loop will be in your amp's effects loop.

Ok so I’m totally confused,I plug the NX via 4cm,(Amp I was testing with is the Mesa TA30) I go to the factory patches all of them and get no sound mute nada,I go to an empty preset same no sound,I Place a send return loop in the chain,I have sound now good,I place a Minotaur O/D before the loop all good,but any time based effect mod effect etc is not heard after the loop it’s driving me mad

I have a FX8 in 4CM works no probscant understand why I’m having so much trouble with this.

The other problem is Amp channel switching can’t seem to get that happening either,I’m the sort of bloke that needs visual instructions,so if there are any vids please let me know

Totally frustrated

Ok so I’m totally confused,I plug the NX via 4cm,(Amp I was testing with is the Mesa TA30) I go to the factory patches all of them and get no sound mute nada,I go to an empty preset same no sound,I Place a send return loop in the chain,I have sound now good,I place a Minotaur O/D before the loop all good,but any time based effect mod effect etc is not heard after the loop it’s driving me mad

I have a FX8 in 4CM works no probscant understand why I’m having so much trouble with this.

The other problem is Amp channel switching can’t seem to get that happening either,I’m the sort of bloke that needs visual instructions,so if there are any vids please let me know

Totally frustrated

If your not hearing the time-based effects in the Mesa's loop, it sounds like perhaps its loop isn't turned on... Assuming all the cables are connected correctly, I don't know what else it could be, really, because the amp is actually passing signal otherwise.

The other problem is Amp channel switching can’t seem to get that happening either...

Amp channel switching is still a bit dicey on the Helix. The CV switching does not work correctly with all amps and I believe there are some bugs being reported right now with the way snapshot and/or preset switching sends MIDI commands. However, many players have successfully setup CV or MIDI amp channel switching and this video is pretty useful for a MIDI setup.

I've been using the HX Effects for a few days now, and while all the effects sounds great, the HISS coming through my amp, even with guitar turned off, or not plugged in make mean this has to be returned.  No way I can gig with this much hiss coming through a PA.

The HISS goes away when I do a hard bypass.  Perfectly clean, of course.  Turn it back on and the hiss is immediate.  Doesn't matter what I do:  turn down guitar, unplug guitar, bypass all effects, disconnect all cables except the one going to the amp, turned off all the lights in the house, etc.   I've updated to latest firmware.  etc.  About the only thing I haven't done it take do a different location.   It is NOT 60hz hum, or EMF.  It is white noise hiss.

This is at medium loud house volumes, and only gets louder as I turn the amp up.  (Vox AC15.)  Without the HX, the amp is dead quiet.

Any help?  Without a cure, I probably have to return this.

I've been using the HX Effects for a few days now, and while all the effects sounds great, the HISS coming through my amp, even with guitar turned off, or not plugged in make mean this has to be returned. No way I can gig with this much hiss coming through a PA.

The HISS goes away when I do a hard bypass. Perfectly clean, of course. Turn it back on and the hiss is immediate. Doesn't matter what I do: turn down guitar, unplug guitar, bypass all effects, disconnect all cables except the one going to the amp, turned off all the lights in the house, etc. I've updated to latest firmware. etc. About the only thing I haven't done it take do a different location. It is NOT 60hz hum, or EMF. It is white noise hiss.

This is at medium loud house volumes, and only gets louder as I turn the amp up. (Vox AC15.) Without the HX, the amp is dead quiet.

Any help? Without a cure, I probably have to return this.

This is the problem I am having, I use a Friedman Pink Taco and can turn the gain up high with minimal hiss or noise with no effects or using my fractal fx8 in 4cm but when I use the hx effects the same way the noise floor is much higher.

Plugged the voltage doubler to 2 Standard 9v outs of my Strymon Zuma and connected to the 2.1/2.5 adapter then HX. HX’s LCDs just blink on and off. Has anyone successfully powered theirs with a power supply?

You want a current doubler, not a voltage doubler...

Hoping that was just a typo, because sending 18V to the HXFX may actually damage it. If it is indeed a current doubler, what else do have powered by the Zuma?

Hi!

My main concern about this product is will this HX color or tone suck your valve amp tone?

To everyone that have allready purchased this unit and uses it with valve amps, what is your answers and experience about tone sucking or color the amp tone?

I just got my Helix a month ago. I love it, using amps and other equipment in ways I never knew about...   I have been using the four cable method  and also running three pedals  that I really like and paid a lot of money for.  I have room to run one more large pedal or multi-effects unit  on the paddleboard that sits next to the helix when I play live. I would like to add maybe an even tide or a Strymon...  is there anything in the M-series or anything about this HX pedal I’m not getting with my Helix?

Is there a line 6 product that would compete with the Eventide or strymon timeline for this last spot  on my peddleboard that lives next to my Helix?

MIDI Question!

As I do not want to sacrifice the EXP I/O's I thought I'd control my Laney VH100R with Midi.
So I've hooked up the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher to the HX Effects and the VH100R (HX MIDI out/Through --> Control Switcher MIDI IN --> Control Switcher Multi out --> VH100R FS in).

I can get it to work using CC Toggle...but that only changes one behaviour at the time. (ie. switch channel 1 to 2 and back, turn reverb on/off etc).
In the HX i've got the midi channel set to 1 and am sending CC messages in the range 80-83.

Now I could assign multiple toggle actions to 1 switch... but I was wondering if there is another way.. I've had a 5150III mini and POD HD500 combo and that setup was way more easy..

Just wondering if anyone has an idea.

• Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic