Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

...Whoa- Pending update (2.50) pinned above

TLF2007

I currently have my DSL 100H hooked into Helix, but now I am considering the new HX box, esp. since I think I saw on the back it has 2 "controller" inputs for my Mission pedals. This would "free up" an FX loop on Helix for me too!  :)

I currently have my DSL 100H hooked into Helix, but now I am considering the new HX box, esp. since I think I saw on the back it has 2 "controller" inputs for my Mission pedals. This would "free up" an FX loop on Helix for me too!  :)

I am wondering about those two Pedal/Ext Amp controller jacks on the HX Effects.  I use my Helix with two Marshall amps using the 7-cable method, but I can only change channels on one of them since there is only one Ext Amp jack.

Update from the HX Effects manual:

"PEDAL/EXT AMP 1-2 Two expression pedals can be connected to the HX Effects device and assigned to adjust a wide variety of parameters. By default, EXP 1 is automatically assigned to control and bypass Wah/Pitch Wham type blocks, and EXP 2 is automatically assigned to control Volume blocks, making them ready for use with your connected expression pedal(s). See "Assigning a Controller"

Alternatively, either jack can be connected to your traditional guitar amp to switch its channels or turn its reverb on and off. Use a TRS cable for dual operation (A=tip, B=ring). To set this jack's function. See "Global Settings > Preferences""

Still looking for the “controversial†part of this update. I guess we’ll see when it’s releaaed.

I think the controversial part is adding all the effects from a previous generation device. Some people may see it as controversial because of the time spent to do it. After all, maybe we could have had another Marshall amp or two instead. Haha. It's probably fair to say most people don't see it that way though. I for one don't. It makes Helix complete.

• Upvote 2

I'm not too familiar with the legacy names. Which one is the "Metal Zone"? You got me excited with that so I went back to the list and don't see it. With all the things I love about Helix I just cannot get an Eruption sound that I like. Every time someone wants me to play it I have to go grab the Boss GT from my son which I gave him after buying the Helix. I've been thinking all along a touch of Metal Zone is what this sound is missing. Hoping it really is there by a different name...Thanks

Hi, Haven’t read everything in this topic, so not sure if you got an answer yet. But here it is: the Metal Zone effect is called Heavy Dist in 2.5. I got that from the manual of HX effects which has 2.5 already, see page 16 in this manual:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3d3f4a5a6a1897ecdf6/application/pdf/HX%20Effects%202.50%20Owners%20Manual%20-%20English%20.pdf

• Upvote 1

I think the controversial part is adding all the effects from a previous generation device. Some people may see it as controversial because of the time spent to do it. After all, maybe we could have had another Marshall amp or two instead. Haha. It's probably fair to say most people don't see it that way though. I for one don't. It makes Helix complete.

Hmmm... I was hoping for more than that.

That's a nice update for sure. I'm pretty happy with Helix as it is now and everythig they add it's just another Sweetie. I must confess that I'm pretty happy with the old Reverbs, since I'm a bit old-school and love 63 Spring Reverb - but curious how the new ones sound.

Yea, I didn't realize how much I missed the particle verb after giving away my 500x! Awesome reverb

Hi all,

Announcing a new firmware here with "coming soon" and not publish it, is like holding a piece of sausage before a dog's nose and take it away!

What means "coming soon"?

I hope that Native will support snapshots a soon as possible. Then we really have a "multi platform Helix"! I don't know the tons of effects of the older units but I would say to focus more on quality and not on quantity would make more sense then to integrate tons of effects of older units. I would expect to integrate some really cool and exotic stuff. For example something like this:

Also to keep an eye on performance would make sense. Maybe there are possibilities to improve the performance or better the system resource usage of the effects, that we are nor running out of DSP. ...

Just some thoughts

Best Regards

Juro

Just saw that snapshot support is announced for HELIX Native 1.50 :-)

Believe me when I say this JuRo1971, "ANY" information about whats coming from Line-6 is sooooo much better than it used to be when we got nothing until it happened.  :)

Yes. And had this not been announced in advance but was a surprise release we would be hearing complaints like "If I knew this was coming so soon I wouldn't have done X last week!! You should have told us!!"

• Upvote 2

I have been using the M13 in my effects loops (2 of them for pre/post).  Looks like I can free those up and sell the M13 (maybe not, :-))

Also, the Lone Star is my favorite MB amp, so looking forward to that.

Can't wait for the new reverbs.  I had taken to putting my H9 in one of the loops for most of my reverb needs.  Hopefully that won't be necessary any longer.

This looks like a great update.  Nice job.

• Upvote 1

you can see mono stereo details for the M series effects here:

http://line6.com/support/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=474

Thanks for that!

Going over the list, it looks pretty intuitive: 1) All drives are mono, 2) all comps are mono 3) the "80A Flanger" is mono (!?).  

With that flanger exception in mind, all modulations, reverbs and delays are listed either as "Stereo Thru/Stereo Effect", "True Stereo" (sounds the same to me) or a handful that are "Stereo Thru/mono Effect.". 

For me, the moral of the story for me is this:  Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line and never choose a "legacy" flanger.  

:-P

Still looking for the “controversial†part of this update. I guess we’ll see when it’s releaaed.

Yes.... what we know about 2.5 seems to be the complete opposite of controversial.... rather it feels like a great gift.

Is the controversy L6 spoke of maybe that they worried some people might find the legacy fx meant there are too many fx or people might feel non hx effects have no place in helix?

Personally I have found the current HD reverbs and wahs in helix to be very useable and good sounding and as such I'm looking forward to trying out the additional legacy fx in 2.5.

If there is any controversy to be found when we boot up 2.5, it may be that the new HX reverbs are quite dsp intensive...

Maybe if your using an Hx reverb with a dsp juicy amp plus a few hx effects we will quickly run into dsp limits on one path.

Then people will start being creative running fx across both paths to best utilise the two processors, one per path, and then maybe a slight controversy might arise if people find themselves having to reach for the legacy fx in place of hx effects when they running out of available dsp...

I have read about reverbs over the past year and it seems getting great sounding reverbs requires a lot of processing power...

And if that were the case then I would applaud L6 for doing a proper job on the reverbs, as a dsp juicy reverb should mean a great rich sounding reverb... and I would also applaud L6 for providing the legacy fx as a solution to the possibility of easily reaching dsp limits when using the hx reverbs...

if they do indeed turn out to be a bit dsp juicy anyway?... indeed they may just be giving us the legacy fx purely because they can and they know we will love it and nothing to do with the verbs hitting the dsp usage...

but I'm only musing here as I can't see anything controversial about 2.5.. on paper it's a pure gift.... but we will see...

I'm already very happy with 2.3 and native... 2.5 bring it on... 3.0 will be interesting to see the future direction.... and I wonder what they conjuring up with the new team they just added to the L6 modelling alchemists...

My only wishes is to see moveable mic placement on the cabs... and metering throughout the signal path... o'll and better copy cut paste of effects/amp blocks...

Enjoy

Hi, Haven’t read everything in this topic, so not sure if you got an answer yet. But here it is: the Metal Zone effect is called Heavy Dist in 2.5. I got that from the manual of HX effects which has 2.5 already, see page 16 in this manual:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3d3f4a5a6a1897ecdf6/application/pdf/HX%20Effects%202.50%20Owners%20Manual%20-%20English%20.pdf

aq

That’s awesome. Thank you so much for the response and link. That’s a very useful table!

Thanks for bringing our attention to this manual. Just wanted to emphasize that the new HX Effects manual, starting on page 16 as LutherDelLorme points out, is in some respects like looking at a Revision "E" cumulative updated section in the Helix manual on all the effects that have been added over the last few Helix firmware revisions as well as the ones still to come in the Helix 2.50 firmware; including the new HX reverbs and legacy effects. Very helpful!  :)

I would still love to see Line6 wax a bit more verbose on new effect descriptions, particularly Line6 "Originals" like the HX reverbs but if I had to choose between resources spent on development and those spent on documentation I would definitely choose the former. There is also always the excellent HelixHelp.com site for links to many of the third party effects and amps original documentation.

Andy Timmons I'm pretty sure uses the clean channel of a Lone Star for everything. With his signature drive and compressor pedals though...

Andy sure does have an incredible tone from that amp.  

Did you see the NAMM video on YouTube where he was talking to Captain Lee about how the rented Lonestar which had issues and used the AT Angry Charlie in the FX loop?  Awesome player!

Come on Mr. Igloo give us a possible release date. People need to leave the computer to go working, make the household, look after the kids, and so on.

For us Helix users is the controversal update the elixir of life :D :D :D

If some users agree maybe the cradle of life :D :D :D

What's for sure: 2018 ;)

• Upvote 2

How can we access the tap tempi? ;)

"Tempi" is plural of tempo, so if your song has multiple tempi in it, you would press TAP repeatedly.  :)

It would be interesting to know if the legacy effects (thank you Line 6 for these) sound any better via Helix improved AD/DA converters than those in the M series?

They do.

At the time, I said one aspect "might" be a "bit" controversial, and it was blown way out of proportion. One guy posted "rehashing the same ol' crap, typical Line 6" which is exactly the type of comment we expected. Truth is, we hired a new DSP guy (not on the normal Helix team, so it didn't take away from sustained development) and he needed a project to learn our tools. Porting M-Class models to HX was the clear winner.

Come on Mr. Igloo give us a possible release date.

This is important: We never have release dates for firmware updates. We keep fixing things until there's nothing of note left to fix. We don't know when that point in time is until it happens, and then you guys get the update a couple hours later. That's all there is to it.

• Upvote 5

One guy posted "rehashing the same ol' crap, typical Line 6" which is exactly the type of comment we expected. Truth is, we hired a new DSP guy (not on the normal Helix team, so it didn't take away from sustained development) and he needed a project to learn our tools. Porting M-Class models to HX was the clear winner.

I love efficiency, and cleverness. Some of the things that truly do excite me.

That was great decision making, "several birds with one stone" right there. Benefits basically across the board.

ðŸ‘