Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

...Whoa- Pending update (2.50) pinned above

TLF2007

Which of Line 6's competitors is announcing release dates for their firmware updates? None that I know of... Dude, we're not people buying enterprise class storage solutions. We're musicians. We should be more chill... No one else in this segment has released updates that rival the scope and scale of the updates that Line 6 has released in the last year and half or so. Fractal updates have been getting progressively smaller and smaller and more infrequent as they were working on the Axe FX III.

Anyway, the update should be out next week. They found a few "blocker" bugs in their last rounds of testing today that pushed it out.

Line 6 has been fairly transparent as far their deadlines. They said from the get-go regarding 2.50 they were aiming for NAMM. Not sure what the big deal other than that perhaps which such a large user base, it's hard to get the word out to everyone.

I stand by my previous comments and I'm blown away by all the things you guys have been able to accomplish with the Helix over the last 12 months.  I tip my hat to you guys.

I stand by my previous comments and I'm blown away by all the things you guys have been able to accomplish with the Helix over the last 12 months.  I tip my hat to you guys.

Well, don't include me... I'm just an expert user/moderator here, a hanger-on if you will. I'm not a Line 6 employee.

Good to see this post has turned itself around and people applauding the line 6 helix team... they deserve all of the congrats and praise for what they have done and are doing with project helix... and big applause also to the line 6 helix community on this forum and others, ie all of you guys and gals, for all the effort so many people have put into sharing ideas and information and problem solving and supporting the whole helix experience...

• Upvote 1

I honestly hope this update never comes out because i really get some joy from reading all the whiny " wheres my update, I want it now, you promised!!!" posts, i would delay it myself if i could, but whats weird to me is - didnt L6 already release the new FX module with 2.50 installed? Seems weird to have a "buggy" version floating around out there for a brand new product, and now this. I dont know, maybe im mistaken in those comments. I sure cant make sense of it, but thats not saying a whole lot.

..... but whats weird to me is - didnt L6 already release the new FX module with 2.50 installed? Seems weird to have a "buggy" version floating around out there for a brand new product...

Perhaps the bugs relate only to the two new amp models in v2.50, which of course are not present in the HXFX product. Or maybe the HXFX will receive a v2.51 update soon. In either case if the bugs are present in HXFX they can't be too serious - I don't recall seeing any reports of that in the last few days.

Well, don't include me... I'm just an expert user/moderator here, a hanger-on if you will. I'm not a Line 6 employee.

And yer also very modest. A mere hanger-on huh? I think not. You may not get a pay-check from them but I can't count the number of times where you have helped others out here, including me.  :D  

it's different fw. somewhere in faq it reads an urge to update hxfx owners to 2.5 as soon as it is available

Perhaps the bugs relate only to the two new amp models in v2.50, which of course are not present in the HXFX product. Or maybe the HXFX will receive a v2.51 update soon. In either case if the bugs are present in HXFX they can't be too serious - I don't recall seeing any reports of that in the last few days.

Thank you gentlemen. Valid points im sure.

I actually bought the Helix with the expectation that updates would be forthcoming.  It was priced into the $1500.  If updates weren't included, or there was a licensing scheme to get new model packs (like the H9 algorithms, for example), then the purchase price would have to reflect that business model up front.   So updates aren't "free".  I paid for them when I bought the Helix.   

I can understand the implied sense of entitlement.  I paid some premium cash up front for future upgrades.  I did the same with my H9 Max.  I paid for the all the existing upgrades, plus future upgrades.  I could have bought the H9 Core at a considerable discount.  It's a different business model, I get it.  But L6 doesn't use that model, so yes, I feel entitled to the update because I already paid for it.

I'd actually prefer a model where you pay for the content you use.  I don't need a single bass cab or effect.  I dislike a lot of the models and effects and won't every use them (but I paid for them anyway).    Ownhammer is doing it.  Want some Mesa IRs but don't give a crap about Fender Twins?  Here you go, buy this pack.  Eventide is doing it.  Want the Timefactor stuff, but have no use for Pitchfuzz?  Buy this algorithm, skip that one.  

Maybe Helix should have been $799 and you can buy license packs for the new models (IF YOU WANT THEM).    The vast majority of new models/effects that get released go right into the "not for me" category.  

"Dom and the QA team found a couple blocker bugs this morning. Looks like next week for 2.50; sorry, guys. clear.png"

Thanks!  :)  That exactly what I suggested (but I'm apparently in the minority).   

didnt L6 already release the new FX module with 2.50 installed? Seems weird to have a "buggy" version floating around out there for a brand new product, and now this. I dont know, maybe im mistaken in those comments. I sure cant make sense of it, but thats not saying a whole lot.

As the HX effects was sold as having all the features of FW2.5 in the advertising and in the manual, it had to have fw2.5 available for download from the moment it became available to be sold otherwise Line 6 would have broken some laws....

So you can see what happened.

Fw2.5 for HX effects was made available and hence at the same time line 6 said hey everyone else who owns a helix you will be getting all these features soon!

I guess on the run up to namm line 6 were all in on making sure they met the legal requirement for HX effects to have a bug free version of fw2.5 available, but understandably there wasn't enough time to test the firmware for all the other helix products. When it's ready it's ready totally fine with me.

Also hx effects doesn't have the amp models and cabs so there maybe some bugs found there around how the amps and cabs work with all the new stuff. May be?

Anyway, the update should be out next week. They found a few "blocker" bugs in their last rounds of testing today that pushed it out.

That's the spirit. You'll never hear me complaining about developers refusing to release code until it's ready for prime time.

'Professionalism' is wot I calls it. Well done L6 testers.

I actually bought the Helix with the expectation that updates would be forthcoming.  It was priced into the $1500.  If updates weren't included, or there was a licensing scheme to get new model packs (like the H9 algorithms, for example), then the purchase price would have to reflect that business model up front.   So updates aren't "free".  I paid for them when I bought the Helix.   

I can understand the implied sense of entitlement.  I paid some premium cash up front for future upgrades.  I did the same with my H9 Max.  I paid for the all the existing upgrades, plus future upgrades.  I could have bought the H9 Core at a considerable discount.  It's a different business model, I get it.  But L6 doesn't use that model, so yes, I feel entitled to the update because I already paid for it.

I'd actually prefer a model where you pay for the content you use.  I don't need a single bass cab or effect.  I dislike a lot of the models and effects and won't every use them (but I paid for them anyway).    Ownhammer is doing it.  Want some Mesa IRs but don't give a crap about Fender Twins?  Here you go, buy this pack.  Eventide is doing it.  Want the Timefactor stuff, but have no use for Pitchfuzz?  Buy this algorithm, skip that one.  

Maybe Helix should have been $799 and you can buy license packs for the new models (IF YOU WANT THEM).    The vast majority of new models/effects that get released go right into the "not for me" category.  

"Dom and the QA team found a couple blocker bugs this morning. Looks like next week for 2.50; sorry, guys. clear.png"

Thanks!  :)  That exactly what I suggested (but I'm apparently in the minority).   

If you buy Amplitude, Bias FX or Revalver and i think some other software aswell hmm yeah i forgot the ever so overpriced UAD (That is the software i meant not the hardware)

They choose those methods which i simply hate as they are soooo overpriced especially UAD 299$ for an Amp or a plugin which does NOT sound so much better than the 7$ one you buy to the Revalver software or even the free audio plugins one you can download on some free audio plugin site.

If you compare to a plugin like Helix Native which many thought was very expensive as they never concider the free upgrades in that price.

It doesnt really take too long before you reach the same price as you buy new amps and effects etc and eventually it will even cost more than what Helix Native cost.

Amplitube with fully loaded all the models is equally priced i think and every new model that comes out is gonna cost money thats for sure and even new updates is gonna cost money.

Same with Revalver and Bias add all extra stuff and you'll soon pay way more then Helix Native

Well Revalver is gonna cost less as for today but then again you still have to pay for every extra stuff that comes out so soon or later you will end up to the same price of Heliix Native and eventually it will cost more.

And its the same with Eventide if buy a H9 Max you get everything for free even stuff that is not released yet.

Buy a H9 Core or H9 Harmonizer and pay for all extra stuff they release and pretty soon you have payed MORE than the price of the Max.

I am not sure here correct me if i am wrong but it would be very dumb if you end up paying the same price if you buy a Core or a Harmonizer and then buy all extra algorithm as it would not sell that many H9 Max units.

So eventually they may release so much more new algorithm and even if you buy what YOU think you need you might end up to have payed alot more than the price of what a Max cost

So in Helix case we can call Helix for Helix Max :) .

As for the hardware its not just the firmware a case and some swithces (wich b.t.w must cost alot more than regular non touch sensitive switches) you pay for in Helix in case you was wondering why it was so expensive?

Helix floor has two expensive processor chips in it thats why we can have lots more effects and stuff in our signal chain than we could onb the HD series.

Why do you think AXE FX II did cost so much?Way more powerful chips than Helix is one thing.

Price must have droped alot on those chips as now you can buy AXE FX III for almost the same price as AXE FX II was when it was released.

As for Helix we did pay for the scribble strips and all ins/outs and a very high quality audiointerface so that is also in the 1500 price tag

There is always the LT version that cost less money almost as low as you wanted it would cost.

If they had choosen your paying method which they already did use with the Pod series i would never bought Helix but thats just me other people that have more money and maybe dont even care if they have to pay alot more to their Helix

But i think (No i am pretty sure as not everyone is rich) they would have sold much less Helix units than they have today if they had gone that route.

As soon as they start to charge for updates i sell my Helix a.s.a.p. as exactly as you said

We already have paid the price for the upgrade and the same goes for Fractal and Kemper owners

We can buy some presets and IR,s but so can Kemper (well profiles not presets) and Fractal users aswell but thats not really Line6/Fractal/Kemper who sell those the other offer free updates so shall Line6 do with Helix aswell if they wanna compete with those.

We already have paid the price for the upgrade and the same goes for Fractal and Kemper owners

To me, it depends on the content included. I might just pay for the content if it had lots of things I wanted in it. Take Glenn Delaune's excellent patches for example, should he charge for these patches that everyone else could make themselves? You see,  it's not the patches he sells that you are buying, but the idea and designs behind them. ;) The same goes for these Helix updates. But I don't think for a second those updates for Helix are free. While I appreciate the updates being at no cost for us, they are not cheap by any means to make. They are time-consuming, adding frustrating time restraints involved to release within reasonable time frames, and requires hiring highly technical people to code, and most times impossible to please everyone when it's finally released. Time involved is like what the goblins in Warcraft might say..., "Time is money friend!" ...  :D

For example, I paid a hefty price for my Apollo quad audio interface but basically its a boat anchor without those expensive plugins you can purchase for it, which I do own. Should I get them free because I "paid the price" as was stated? Is that an add-on, or an upgrade? And shouldn't the devs that make these nice updates and add-ons for us get something in return (Like Glenn for example) for them at some point? In a dream world that would be nice if everything was free just because you paid for Helix, but that's not how the real world works my friend.  :)

• Upvote 1

But I dont think for a second those updates for Helix are free.

^ ^ ^

T H I S!

We had this discussion here repeatedly - and folks tend to fantasize about updates (especially when they come with a littlle delay).

'Sale as seen'. You don't buy a 'flatrate' or a 'lifetime voucher' with Helix...

Updates are an awesome support, that I cannot applaud loud enough:

200.gif

HX Effects' 2.40 production firmware isn't buggy as much as it's not quite where we wanted to be. For example, IR loading, HX Edit support, the new HX reverbs, and certain Action Panel functions are missing. The manual reflects 2.50 firmware, so it's important to update to 2.50 to ensure you have the latest toys.

"B-b-b-but Digital Igloo! Why would you ship a product that's not 100% complete?!"

That's a good question.

Mass production and international shipping for a product this complex can take months. Would you rather:

• Have HX Effects now and update it to 2.50... OR
  • Wait two months to buy it with 2.50 already baked in?

Fortunately you can choose, so if you'd prefer to pretend that HX Effects was merely announced at NAMM and that it won't officially ship until this spring, and that it'll ship with 2.50, you're welcome to do so.

The blocker bugs that pushed 2.50 FW/1.50 Native to next week only apply to Helix Floor, Rack/Control, LT, and Native.

• Upvote 3

^ ^ ^

T H I S!

We had this discussion here repeatedly - and folks tend to fantasize about updates (especially when they come with a littlle delay).

'Sale as seen'. You don't buy a 'flatrate' or a 'lifetime voucher' with Helix...

Updates are an awesome support, that I cannot applaud loud enough:

200.gif

Updates is what keeps products alive. It's not a company working for free, doing you a favour, it's market asking those device to be constantly updated to be better and better, and attract new customers, and keep old userbase happy. It is totally normal that customers does expect updates, as it is totally in the interests of a company like Line6, to keep the developing of a such successful product like the Helix is, ongoing as much as possible.

These days this scheme is pretty much working same everywhere. Smartphones, Games, Operative Systems, PC hardware, everything which does run on top of software so that can be improved code side, without hardware changes. People does buy stuff, that it will improve with time. This is part of the product appeal nowadays.

I do appreciate every bit of code improvement that the L6 guys are doing, but this is part of the deal.

If you sell a device like the Helix (basically a computer+software) and you don't further develop its software, this device will die in the market in a blink of an eye, unless you hold the project hardware+software for years, until it's perfect and complete, but for that time it will probably be already obsolete, because other competitors were using that modern scheme of the ongoing developing.

• Upvote 1

I actually bought the Helix with the expectation that updates would be forthcoming. It was priced into the $1500. If updates weren't included, or there was a licensing scheme to get new model packs (like the H9 algorithms, for example), then the purchase price would have to reflect that business model up front. So updates aren't "free". I paid for them when I bought the Helix.  

That's not how we see it. Sustained development (R&D, sound design, feature design and implementation, etc.) on Helix is paid for by sales of future hardware. For example:

• Snapshot development in Helix Floor/Rack/Control was part of Helix LT development and therefore paid for by Helix LT users
  • M-Class model development was part of Helix Native development and therefore paid for by Helix Native users
  • The next big features and models will be paid for users of HX Effects
  • The features and models after that will be paid for users of the next box
  • And so on

Because all Helix and HX hardware/software shares a common code (or at least it will in a few months), our development dollars go a LOT farther, because everything gets rolled into the previous hardware/software. So in a way, updates are free, because someone else is paying for them.

However, it is true that if we just hacked another company's code—or licensed an engine instead of creating one ourselves—we'd be able to charge less. World-class engineers and sound designers need to eat too. But Helix would not be less than $1499 if there had been no plans for updates.

• Upvote 1

Me, me, me...more, more, more. Oh, and Jeeves...have it delivered yesterday, with a bag of chips.

When you buy a toothbrush, Colgate is not obligated to send you new bristles. There is no free lunch, folks...you bought what was in the box. A one time transaction at a price we all decided to pay. Didn't say "And coming soon: x,y, and z at no extra cost!" on the box mine came in.

No matter how much you spent, or how entitled you feel to more, you just aren't...none of us are "owed" a blessed thing.

• Upvote 2

>>Snapshot development in Helix Floor/Rack/Control was part of Helix LT development and therefore paid for by Helix LT users

I must admit I do see the Helix firmware updates as pure bonus jam on top. But to discover that actually, those corner-cutting, cheapskating, lickpenny LT users were paying for them had me chuckling with supervillain evil. (Only kidding, LT users, only kidding). But seriously, TANSTAAFL.

I must admit I do see the Helix firmware updates as pure bonus jam on top. But to discover that actually, those corner-cutting, cheapskating, lickpenny LT users were paying for them had me chuckling with supervillain evil. (Only kidding, LT users, only kidding). But seriously, TANSTAAFL.

Good for you.

For me are not a bonus. Helix reverbs we have now, are based on 10 years old algos, and are basically ported from the M3 series. Having HX reverbs, for me, it's not a bonus, but a feature that was missing from the original first release firmware, and promoted by the managers as a future upgrade. This is why I didnt buy a Strymon, and silently expected this 2.50 firmware.

http://line6.com/support/topic/19905-does-anyone-else-find-the-reverbs-in-helix-really-disappointing/?do=findComment&comment=150161

Good for you.

For me are not a bonus. Helix reverbs we have now, are based on 10 years old algos, and are basically ported from the M3 series. Having HX reverbs, for me, it's not a bonus, but a feature that was missing from the original first release firmware, and promoted by the managers as a future upgrade. This is why I didnt buy a Strymon, and silently expected this 2.50 firmware.

http://line6.com/support/topic/19905-does-anyone-else-find-the-reverbs-in-helix-really-disappointing/?do=findComment&comment=150161

I take your point, but in making it you are also making a false equivalence - only *this* update features HX reverbs. All the rest did not and so may be regarded as jam on top. And L6 did the right thing by its user base in upgrading the reverbs to HX modelling, so still fair play to L6.

But Helix would not be less than $1499 if there had been no plans for updates.

That would have been a different kind of product, the kind that hasn't had my interest for years now. 

Not saying anything about the pricing though, just that I'm not attracted to "stale" digital processors in general.

I get it, all that talk about you not owing us anything, I get it, really, but I've used an XT Live, then an HD500 (I still keep and use both) and part of what made me choose Helix is that it's supposed to grow over time in a similar way those other modelers did. This is what I expect of this kind of products, not only from you, but mainly because I've come to appreciate that kind of business model because of my experience with you, going back to '99 (OMG! I'm starting to feel weird about statements like this, where I hint at years and years of something)

Facts:

- I started using Helix with my band inmediately, and though I missed some models, I achieved similar (95% of the times much better) results than with the HD

- If no update was to be expected, or at least no new models or features, I would be using the initial set and getting good results.

- Some of the new stuff that you release makes their way into my presets because it improves them, and that, is an incentive for me.

- I don't expect you to include any particular model of anything, it wouldn't be reasonable, as I have no guarantee I'll ever get it, but I do expect a product like this to cover most of the "general" sonic needs of its intended target customer base, and that... that was provided for, from the very start

Since I probably got your attention now, let me take a second to tell you that, after hanging out a bit at TGP, I totally get

why you spend more time there than here. I am surprised at how many times reading those pages becomes a pleasant and very fun experience.

Also, I'm getting used to read every line you drop, no matter how tiny, or specially those tiny ones, like "We'll have more stuff for you later"

• Upvote 1

That's not how we see it. Sustained development (R&D, sound design, feature design and implementation, etc.) on Helix is paid for by sales of future hardware. For example:

• Snapshot development in Helix Floor/Rack/Control was part of Helix LT development and therefore paid for by Helix LT users
  • M-Class model development was part of Helix Native development and therefore paid for by Helix Native users
  • And so on

Because all Helix and HX hardware/software shares a common code (or at least it will in a few months), our development dollars go a LOT farther, because everything gets rolled into the previous hardware/software. So in a way, updates are free, because someone else is paying for them.

However, it is true that if we just hacked another company's code—or licensed an engine instead of creating one ourselves—we'd be able to charge less. World-class engineers and sound designers need to eat too. But Helix would not be less than $1499 if there had been no plans for updates.

I´d definitely buy a Helix "Firehawk" amp model with a tube power amp section and FRFR... So count me in I´ll be investing more money into Line 6. I was never let down by your company and I´m a regular customer since the Pod X3... Keep improving the quality of your products and availability of models and I´ll be happy to spend my hard earned money on them... 

Keep up the good work!!! And bring the high gain metal monsters!!! Hahahaha

If LIne6 keeps making products as good as Helix, I WILL buy more new boxes!!

Seriously, this thing is command central for not only my guitar and bass rigs, but for my ProTools recording studio as well. This is by far the most useful piece of equipment I have bought in a long time and I'm an old guy. I'm 52 and have been playing for 40 + years. Every update with additional features to me is just icing on the cake. I would have paid the $1500 for this for the first firmware without expecting updates.

Oh, wait, I did exactly that. :D

• Upvote 1

After hanging out a bit at TGP, I totally get why you spend more time there than here.

One guy there accused me of two things in the very same post:

• Being a paid shill for Line 6—that is, it must be part of my job to promote Line 6 on gear forums (it's not, at all)
  • Not shilling enough on Line 6's own forums (wait, what?)

The truth is that Line 6's forums are largely utilized for tech support, which is wholly appropriate. But because I'm not a paid shill, I get to spend time wherever I want. Weird and heady conversations—especially with others acting like armchair product managers—are way more entertaining than answering tech support questions, so... TGP. (I do like MIDI-based tech support questions tho'. Go figure.)

TGP threads get WEIRD; it's amusing and fun. If people want me to post here more often, they should get weird.

Believe me, if Line 6 added forum ambassador to my job requirements, I'd quit immediately. It's not fun when it's your job, and besides, the community can see through that crap from a mile away. I'm 90% sure there are two or three clandestine shills on TGP right now and it's just a matter of time before their cover's blown.

• Upvote 3

TGP threads get WEIRD; it's amusing and fun. If people want me to post here more often, they should get weird.

TGP is a bit like a huge Kevin Smith movie or something... Everything becomes a larger than life issue...

• Upvote 1

• And so on

Well then get to selling some new stuff, cause I need a friggin JP2C model.  I don't care how you fund it.  Like you said, it's free.  :)

I appreciate the gifts we get on a piece of gear that met expectation when I purchased it. The intent of the thread at the outset was positive.I'm glad it turned back into being so...

I guess it depends when ya bought it then because ive owned Helix for 2 years now and it certainly was NOT "supposed" to be a finished product when i was looking at it.

I dont know if "gifts" is the appropriate word? Could you imagine? All the time, manpower, and money, Just to give its customer base a present every 6 months lol. THAT would be a first. No company i can think of, in the history of mankind, has ever done anything like that. 

No, L6 obviously feels as if their creation is unfinished or has not reached its full potential yet,  Makes sense to continue to craft the Helix until that satisfaction is met, and at some point kick back and sell as many of them at $1500 as they can.

If you buy Amplitude, Bias FX or Revalver and i think some other software aswell hmm yeah i forgot the ever so overpriced UAD (That is the software i meant not the hardware)

They choose those methods which i simply hate as they are soooo overpriced especially UAD 299$ for an Amp or a plugin which does NOT sound so much better than the 7$ one you buy to the Revalver software or even the free audio plugins one you can download on some free audio plugin site

Comments like this can make you sound ignorant and/or bitter. Im not saying that to be offensive. Thats just how it appears to people who DO know the difference.

First off, theres not one amp on the UA menu that costs $299,  so to say that is an exaggeration. 

Next if a person is desperate or (hate to say it) foolish enough to pay full price for UA plugins, thats their own fault. You wouldn't buy the Waves gold bundle for $800, would you?  There is plenty of opportunity to get UA plugins for just a fraction of whats being advertised. 

Also when it comes to these amps, plugins, whatever, just because you cant hear a difference doesnt mean that other people cant, or that there isnt one. You have cheap monitors in an untreated room. Some of the things, in YOUR listening conditions, where you hear no difference,  you would be wowed by here, where i have a professionally treated room and a large investment in monitoring.....assuming that your hearing is mostly "normal" 

As soon as they start to charge for updates i sell my Helix a.s.a.p.

Not even sure why you'd go there. Nobody charges for updates. Never have never will.

Line 6's forums are largely utilized for tech support

This really has nothing to do with the quote, and probably not the appropriate protocol, but i noticed there are no EQs in the update.....unless we didnt get the full scope at the beginning of the "coming soon" thread. Man would you guys do the Boss GE-7? preview.jpgIt probably couldnt be a more simple request and those frequencies are just so important for tone shaping. If the helix graphic were programmable that'd be one thing, but its not.

• And so on

Digital modelling pyramid scheme. I want in!

If L6 released an update with bugs that it crashed the Helix intermittently <shudder>, I can imagine what the uproar would be like?  Nobody needs those problems.

Remember  "Done right, done cheap, and done fast - pick 2."  I would rather wait a while and it be done right.

• Upvote 1