Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 with new HXEffects

TomEBoy6

I’ve owned DT50 head, DT25 Head and cab and a DT25 combo. I was using the Pod HD 500x, which I was never completely satisfied with. I traded and sold all of it off and for the last year or so I’ve been using the firehawk 1500. It’s not a bad set up but I find it lacking.... I ordered a Dt25 head and cab used and I am waiting on it to be delivered. I was thinking of getting a used helix or a helix lt until I saw the new HxX Effects. I’m thinking this could be a great fit. I loved the sound of the DT 25 on it’s, for some reason even reading guides and after tweaking for hours I never could get the sound I was after with a the pod hd500x It allways had Fiz or some other noise I would fixate on. I loved the cabling of the line 6 link. I’m thinking of the H effects in the effects loop and Midi cable to change the topology of the amp. The Helix would give me more options. For 1/2 the cost I could get the effects of the Helix, the midi control of the helix and the versatility and the tone of the DT 25. I am keeping the Firehawk 1500 so I could use the Helix on both...

Any DT owners who run it with a Helix have any opinion on this? .

I've been thinking about this setup also.  Use HX Effects with a 3-cable (1/4"+2xMIDI) connection to the DT25, then use the HXFX to send signals to switch amp, topology and Class data to the DT, utilizing the onboard preamp models, and get my effects from the HX.  Improved effects would result, but I don't know if I'd get $600 worth of inspiration to offset the ease and familiarity the HD series gives me when paired with the DT. Not only that, pre/post effects would require another pair of FX Send/Returns, and I'm just a little butthurt that a single L6 cable can do ALL those things and more, but it isn't an option on any Helix model.  So, I'll wait til someone else tries it for me, and think about it then.  In the mean time, the current combination does what I need, so I'll resist the constant, pressing GAS.

You explained my hesitation 100%.. I’ve been having a blast with the used DT25 head and cab. I always liked the ease of the 1 cable in with the line 6 link but felt the tone was different paired with the Pod HD500X. I Tried but could not get the same tone I got just plugged directly into the input jack of the amp. I’m repeating the path I went down a couple of years ago. I started with a DT 50 Head. It was just a little to much for me. I bought a Dt25 combo fell in love with it. Got the PodHD500x and bought a Dt25 Head and cab for stereo. It was cool little set up. The cabeling was easy. Guitar cable to the pod, line 6 link to 1 amp then jump amp to amp via the link. There are a bunch of guides out there to tweak the pod but I could never match the tone of the amp in voice 4 with a few pedals. I saw the HX effects and I thought that could do it. I voted for Helix and DT integration, I’d buy a helix right now if it worked with the line6 link. I Have a firehawk 1500 but I find it lacking. It has great features but i just like the sound of the DT25. So i find myself back where I was a year or so ago.... I really have no interest in buying a pod. My dream rig would be the power and versatility of the Helix or HX effects connected to the DT via the 1 cable of the line 6 link.

• Upvote 1

Yep, I voted for Helix>DT too.  I'm afraid there just aren't enough DT users to justify the programming, or maybe the DT uses on-board preamps rather than the HD's progrmamed one, thus can't use Helix via L6 Link? 

DT integration would be the straw that broke my wallet's back and I'd be ordering a Helix LT if it was announced. 

As far as MIDI programming, Check out my comment (and responses) in this post in Chad Boston's FB group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/permalink/867209436796064/

• Upvote 1

My HX effects just came in, it has a boot failure. Just had to hold the button next to save and it booted up. Time to play around.

Let us know how it is as device?  I have DT amp but only using it a smaller shows. I've been slowing moving back to all analog path using Carvin Legacy most of the time now and using a HD500x for effects only. Very interested in if the Helix Effects are really improved enough to replace the role my POD is doing now. Like to keep my DT still around just for smaller venues easy of use so would used the HXFX with it as well.

I really like the sound of the DT25 in voice 4 high gain. I just wanted to add some effects. I sold off my PodHD500x a while ago so I really can’t say how it works with that through the effects loop. I tried the 4 cable method with the HX effects but it put the amp in a clean B channel, I’m sure I read that would happen somewhere. So, I have the guitar input to the amp and the HX effects in and out of the effects loop. As far as the sounds of the effects ithey are great, I’m still plaiying with them. My first impression is they are very good. I have midi cables so I’ll try messing around with that some time soon. I have an expression pedal so I did not have to spend for that.

All in all if you like the Pod500x this is not a replacement since the Line 6 link does not work the same way with the DT. If I understand your needs I would say go with either a full blown Helix or Helix Lt. You get the effects the HX effects has plus the ability to go right into a PA with a rig that fits in a backpack. So you can bring the DT to the small show and use the Helix for modeling and effects or if the venue has a system you can just go right out of the Helix and leave the amp at home.

Just my 2cents. As far as Line 6 making an updated pod500x to update the Dream Rig, the name says it all “Dreamâ€. I’m thinking of returning the HX effects and troll eBay for a used Helix. I want to give Line 6 my $$$ just offer something I want.

Ok I’ve had the HX effects for a couple of days. I had to install the HX editor to update to the newest firmware. I’m just running the the HX effects through the effects loop with the guitar plugged in the front of the amp. I had the inexpensive plastic line 6 expression pedal, I’m working on setting up my patches for the few songs that I play. I Have to say even though I’m still disappointed about the Line 6 link... over all I really like the combo of the DT and HX effects. I’ve been playing way to loud my ears are ringing and buzzing heh... so in place of a bunch of pedals all over the floor i have; G50, which the transmitter for the g10 works on, the HX effects and the expression pedal. The best way I can explain it, this is what I thought the dream rig was going to sound like. I don’t have a Variax so I can’t comment on that at

The way I look at it, you would spend way more to buy a bunch of pedals to cover what the HX effects can do. I’m not sure if I’m like most guitarist but seem to get a sound I like from an amp and throw in a couple of effects. In reality I bearly used the Pod Hd500X for all that it could do. I just could never get a sound I was happy with out of the Pod HD500X, no matter how much time I spent tweaking it. In a few minutes working with the HX effects I was got pretty close to where I wanted to be. I want to set up the expression pedal to toggle between Chorus and Flanger. I plan on converting an old Cry Baby wah to an expression pedal, there is a guide in the forums.

To answer the question could the HX effects replace the Pod500 your using just as an effects pedal, yes.

You’re looking at spending $500 bucks to upgrade your effects, is it worth it to you. For $1000 you get the Helix LT, so all the updated effects plus the connectivity and interface options.

So since hindsight is 20/20; If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought the full blown Helix from the start I would have bought the mission engineering FRFR power cab that has Bluetooth. I would have saved money by not buying and selling all the DT amps that I did and would not have bought the Firehawk 1500.

Hopefully this will help some people who are thinking about adding the HX effects to their rig. If you love your amp but want to add a bunch of great sounding effects the HX effects is a great option.

Hey all - this is all great info. I have a similar story with regards to just about every thing here.

• Wanted more from the Dream Rig
  • Could never get the HD500 or HD500X to sound right
  • LOVE Voice IV on the DT series amps out of the box
  • Hoping the Helix HX would solve a few redundancy issues as well provide a rig I truly dreamed of

To add to the frustration over an otherwise GREAT amp is the MIDI behavior of the DT series amps. My plan was use the HX in a MIDI rig. MIDI path: Source Audio Soleman -> Helix HX -> DT25. the catch is the DT25 is hit or miss when it comes to listening to CC commands from a MIDI controller. Also, the Touch OSC option for updating and tweaking the amp is awful. Anyone try the editors I see posted here in the forums? Anyone have better luck with controlling their DT amp with MIDI in general?

• 2 weeks later...

HX Effects should work perfectly in 4CM with the DT amps.  Midi is super easy to program with Helix so you can set up your HXFX patches to pull up the right amp voicing on the DT.  Remember, the DT is a 2 channel amp.  However, you can load 4 different amp/cab combinations in Path A and B for a total of 8 to choose from.  You still have to set the knobs for the 2 you plan on using on Path A and B.  If you dial in a Blackface on Path A and the use mid to switch to a Rectifier it will blow the doors off.  Best to set a clean amp on one path and a dirty on the other path.

If you have a Helix you can absolutely use the L6 link.  The problem is that even though the DT and the Helix use the same communication protocol (L6 Link), their basic software architecture is totally different and do not integrate.  They never will.  The Helix signal is actually running through the DT internal amp and cab models and that sucks.  The only solution is to also use a midi cable to connect your DT in addition to the L6 Link.  The Helix can send midi commands to the DT to control it.

I found the best way to work it is to turn off the internal amp and cab on all 4 voicings on both channel A and B in the DT using DT Edit.  I then configured the 4 voicings in channel A to Class A, topology I-IV and channel B to Class AB, topology I-IV.  Now all I have to do is send one midi command from Helix to pick the channel and voicing I want for my Helix patch.  Nothing changes in the DT.  You can use something like DT Edit to configure your DT that way.  Once you do that all the knobs on the DT are inactivated except the Master and the Reverb.  The DT is basically just a tube power amp now for my Helix.  Works great.  If you don't like it you can always do a factory reset on the DT back to normal.

Your other option is to skip the L6 Link and just go in to the DT FX return bypassing the preamp altogether.  If you don't want topology matching that might be the best choice for you.  I don't think the DT Master works that way though so the DT is full blast.  You would need to control volume from the Helix. Either way, the DT is a fantastic amp for Helix and the Helix models are a big upgrade to the HD modeling.

Anyone try the editors I see posted here in the forums? Anyone have better luck with controlling their DT amp with MIDI in general?

DT Edit is a fantastic little program for editing your DT amp.  I use a $40 M-Audio UNO usb to midi adapter, no issues.  I also program midi in Helix to switch the DT and it works perfectly every time.  Dead simple to set up.  Can't speak for other controllers but the DT responds to everything I send it.

DT Edit is a fantastic little program for editing your DT amp.  I use a $40 M-Audio UNO usb to midi adapter, no issues.  I also program midi in Helix to switch the DT and it works perfectly every time.  Dead simple to set up.  Can't speak for other controllers but the DT responds to everything I send it.

Lucky you - I'm not a PC guy :) I'm out on the DT amp. I'm bummed to say the least. It's just too unpredictable.

Lucky you - I'm not a PC guy :) I'm out on the DT amp. I'm bummed to say the least. It's just too unpredictable.

Sorry to hear.  Not sure what benefit the Soleman has but you don't need it with HXFX.  The Helix midi programming capability is dead simple and more than enough for the DT.  Your issues may be related to the pass through.

Here's the link to the OSX version of DT Edit:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1228420/DTeditOSX.dmg

• 1 month later...

I’ve had the HX effects for a while, I am happy to say I really like it paired to the DT-25.  Very happy .  I spend more time playing then tweaking. I find it easy to get the effect I am looking for.

my current rig is a dt 25 Head and extension cab. HX effects, mission engineering expression pedal and G10 wireless system.  

Good job line 6. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Anyone mastered the art of DT 25/Helix/L6 Link? Im not a pro at all and just trying to decide whether to use Helix 3.6 via channel A or B? For instance, when I use A with worship tones it's awesome! But with Metal B sounds better at least to me in room. But i thought the new cabs etc.. in 3.5/3.6 were a whole new ballgame? So I'm trying to simply figure out din I use Helix Ch A or DT Pre Ch B? Sorry if confusing as I'm not that versed even though I had POD HD500X before i just used it without having tom really think.

Thank you for any help and or advice as i sure could use it!

Stephen