Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help! Bad sound of Variax Standard

hulio24

Hello everyone. I recently bought Variax Standard for recording purposes. Mainly acoustic models, and Im very disappointed. 12 string sounds like it has added some very artificial synthy high pitched tone. In fact none of the acoustic models sounds acceptable. Im not pro guitarist and not looking for perfect projection of a real thing, just fairly pleasant sound. But when I hear my 12strings I guess if I asked some kid what instument is that, they would have problem recognising a guitar in it.  Previously I had Variax600 and it had the same issue but I just got over it thinking that its just not very good guitar. Listening some line6 sound presentation of Standard, impressed with its sound I decided to upgrade from 600, but what I got is the same horrible sound I had before. 
12 string is the most drastic example of bad sound of my Variax but electric models are not much better. Theyre nowhere close to what I can hear on YT variax presentations.

I play Variax via digital Line6 cable to Pod x3live to PC. (I know x3 is bit old:) I tried many setups including everything off, no amps no comps. Got all firmware updated to the latest versions. Also tried playing via 1/4 on battery, and again.. same result. In couple of weeks I was planning to upgrade fx to Helix floor but now I dont know is it all worth it:(

Im adding mp3 with the sample of my 12 string. If some of you good people could take some of your precious time to listen that ridiculous sound I'll be grateful:)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccdy727c68x6xay/variax%20problem.mp3?dl=0

Anyone had the same problem? Any ideas how can I improve it? Do you think that Helix could solve it? Do you think Line6 uses different electronics than they sell just for presentation purposes? :)) just kidding;)

You have to use Worbench, and setup the pourcentage of the mix per string, i've recently played with that, i think i have 35% and it sounds really better, more natural ! 

At the beginning, i had the same opinion about those sounds.

I've done a lot of setup on the variax ; lower my pickups, using the good pick, changed the strings gauge (i believe, i'm gonna be back (for the bends))

Every action/setup is important with a modeling guitar, every sound is multiplied !

You have to use Worbench, and setup the pourcentage of the mix per string, i've recently played with that, i think i have 35% and it sounds really better, more natural ! 

I've done a lot of setup on the variax ; lower my pickups, using the good pick, changed the strings gauge (i believe, i'm gonna be back (for the bends))

Every action/setup is important with a modeling guitar, every sound is multiplied !

Thank you, I haven't got round to workbench yet, will have a look!

No mention of what are you listening through...studio monitors, headphones?... if it's not some sort of FRFR speaker solution, you can kiss any attempts at convincing acoustic tones goodbye. Crappy desktop PC speakers aren't gonna cut it either.

Thank you. It looks like I need to do some more adjustments. I was bit naive thinking that it comes with perfect sound right out of the box:/

I'm arrived at the same conclusion. Iv'e bought 2 line6's device and i always work on them. That's not a plug and play.....

You have a lot of capabilities and it demands time to setup to your tastes (even if some users notice many things the same and it helps to have their solutions to fix them...)  ;)