Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Blank screen after firmware install

eightthree

I've had a ton of trouble updating my Helix every time there's a new firmware version. So much so, that I've been avoiding updating for quite some time. Up until last week I was running 2.10.0 since my previous attempts at updating to 2.20.0 had failed and downgrading was the only thing that actually worked for me. This weekend I tried updating everything to get on the latest firmware version so I can be ready when 2.50.0 comes out. At one point I was able to get up and running after a very frustrating series of on/off/on/off/on/off sequences that were really just me crossing my fingers hoping this time it would boot up.

Today, boot problems again, so I'm trying to re-install the 2.30.0 firmware from a local file on my machine. Problem is, every time the updater program goes to the "Success, your Helix will now restart" screen, the Helix looks like it's trying to restart, but only shows a blank screen and blank scribble strips.

Has anyone run into this before? I just opened a support ticket to see if L6 can help out, but if there's anyone else who's been through this that could give me some pointers I'd really appreciate it.

I should also mention, after I turn off the Helix after the blank screen problem, turning it back on typically just results in it hanging at the startup/version firmware screen. Although, occasionally I've gotten a screen that says "Boot failure. Entered update mode!" and there's a red "-33" code in the top left corner of the screen as well.

Perhaps a silly/stupid/too simple suggestion: did you check if the power cable is good connected? You could (when Helix is off) unplug it, re-plug it in the Helix, perhaps use another electric wall socket. If it helps: great; if it doesn’t help: no harm done.

Another suggestion: try using another usb cable and another usb port on PC (but if the Helix keeps failing to boot this suggestion is of no use).

Another thing: perhaps it is not necessary to upgrade from 2.1, perhaps the Helix can go directly from 2.1 to 2.5. I think I read this somewhere, but I am not sure.

Another thing: if you reboot, and you think it hangs, it might only need some more time, so don’t turn the device off too soon.

Have you tried any of the startup procedures described here?

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/helix-reset-procedures-and-troubleshooting-tricks-r768

The firmware update procedures are much more automated and simpler now. If you have trouble installing v2.50 it probably indicates a problem with your USB communications between your computer and Helix.

Hi eightthree,

First off, run through the routines suggested by “silverheadâ€, above - it may just blow the bugs off the bumper.

A big thing to note is that you state you have “had a ton of trouble updating Helix every time there’s a new firmware versionâ€.

Mmm.

Maybe it would be better to go back and do a complete re-install. I mean go back an download all the software again and start from scratch. There is a step by step instructional video, by “gangsterusa†(Glenn DeLaune), on this forum which should be very helpful, especially if you missing a tiny, but vital bit of the procedure. Remember, the HX Edit software should be installed before attempting the Helix firmware update.

http://line6.com/support/topic/30507-for-those-of-you-who-might-need-a-little-help-with-the-230-update/

Hope this is some help.

Perhaps a silly/stupid/too simple suggestion: did you check if the power cable is good connected? You could (when Helix is off) unplug it, re-plug it in the Helix, perhaps use another electric wall socket. If it helps: great; if it doesn’t help: no harm done.

Another suggestion: try using another usb cable and another usb port on PC (but if the Helix keeps failing to boot this suggestion is of no use).

Another thing: perhaps it is not necessary to upgrade from 2.1, perhaps the Helix can go directly from 2.1 to 2.5. I think I read this somewhere, but I am not sure.

Another thing: if you reboot, and you think it hangs, it might only need some more time, so don’t turn the device off too soon.

After downgrading to 2.12.0 I tried going straight to 2.30.0 and it... kinda worked. I had to boot a couple times because it froze when rebuilding patches, but eventually I got it running. This doesn't leave me with a ton of confidence though that the next update will be any different, or that things are even running the way they should be. Fingers crossed.

Have you tried any of the startup procedures described here?

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/helix-reset-procedures-and-troubleshooting-tricks-r768

The firmware update procedures are much more automated and simpler now. If you have trouble installing v2.50 it probably indicates a problem with your USB communications between your computer and Helix.

Thanks silvered! Yeah, I've tried all of them. The biggest concern I have is that every time I install any version of the firmware (2.12.0, 2.20.0, 2.30.0, ...) it always finishes the install but fails at the restart part of it (the screen just goes black and nothing else happens). I have to manually turn off the Helix and turn it back on after waiting 10 seconds or so to get the start up screen and maybe the "rebuilding patches" sequence.

I have also gotten the "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" screen on occasion and it always shows at red "-33" code in the top left corner of the screen. I'd love to know what that code means, hoping L6 support can shed some light on that.

Last night I finished off by going from the 2.12.0 to the 2.30.0 firmware, but the Helix wouldn't get past the loading screen that just showed the firmware version. So, I unplugged everything, went to bed and plugged it back in again when I woke up this morning. It booted fine and started to rebuild the patches. It got through most of them but then froze at patch 915, so I turned it off, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on again. It booted, finished building the patches, and finished the start up sequence. Hopefully I'm good, but again, not super confident.

Hi eightthree,

First off, run through the routines suggested by “silverheadâ€, above - it may just blow the bugs off the bumper.

A big thing to note is that you state you have “had a ton of trouble updating Helix every time there’s a new firmware versionâ€.

Mmm.

Maybe it would be better to go back and do a complete re-install. I mean go back an download all the software again and start from scratch. There is a step by step instructional video, by “gangsterusa†(Glenn DeLaune), on this forum which should be very helpful, especially if you missing a tiny, but vital bit of the procedure. Remember, the HX Edit software should be installed before attempting the Helix firmware update.

http://line6.com/support/topic/30507-for-those-of-you-who-might-need-a-little-help-with-the-230-update/

Hope this is some help.

I'll take a good look at this if my Helix 2.30.0 update proves unstable. Thanks for the tip!

Sounds like you have a corrupt patch where it is stopping on the rebuild process. Delete it and try again. 

I had previously reset the Helix to have nothing but factory presets on it... I guess I could try it after setting all presets to empty :|