Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Competition for Helix?!?

zivdud

Glad that passed on Axe FX II one month ago :D

For many of us, Axe II was too much. The "endless" possibilities and bad user interface... Now, with Axe III FAS have doubled the processing power, added even more options, so it is definitely a confusion. If you want, you can land on a moon with it :D Thordendal and Mansoor will probably get some cool sounds out of it, but the rest will only hunt the "right combinations" (not meant to hurt anyone).

I would say that the Boss is no competition - less I/O's to work with, no firmware updates (from what I know of Boss units), no 4CM routing (my history with Boss products seem to be they are only front of amp processors), mono-color display and no customizable scribble strips.  They also seem to be behind technologically speaking in emulating tube amp response.  This seems to be their first attempt to compete with Line 6 and Fractal in that realm.  The future will be interesting though as I do enjoy a few Boss products!   I haven't used a Boss processor since the GT-6, so I could be off base on a couple of these point.  

As far as Fractal, there's just no comparison due with the price point - quite frankly, the Fractal costing $2,499 better blow the Helix out of the water!  

In conclusion, I would still prefer the Helix mainly due to firmware updates and being able to use it as a pedalboard via 4CM with my Mesa's/Marshall.  

• Upvote 2

After messing with the GT-1000 at NAMM, I can't say that Line 6 should be all that concerned about it stealing Helix sales... They are very different devices.

The Axe FX III, well, it's very cool and extremely powerful. It seems like the sort of device that has way more capability and depth than 95+% of guitarists would ever need. I suppose a similar statement could be said about the Helix, but the Axe FX III just seems like a more intimidating device... It lets you adjust the mic distance by a tenth of millimeter... Which I find hilarious.

• Upvote 2

Nice!

By the time I go to upgrade from the Helix platform Line6 will probably have a successor to the Helix already available.

It is at that point I will see what the best option for me will be. Could be Helix 2, could be AxeFX IV. However Fractal will need to step up their user interface game before I consider going that route.

I would tend to agree the Boss unit isn't really in the same category as the Helix, and certainly isn't as flexible.  But being a techno geek I can't help but be impressed with the Axe-FX III.  It's really quite the accomplishment, but again appeals more to a different market than the Helix.  It appears to me the Helix seems to be in the meat and potatoes part of the market where most dedicated musicians tend to live.  I'm not sure a lot of people using the Helix are hitting any kind of technical ceiling at this point that would call for the type of upgrade represented by the Axe.  But that doesn't mean I can't help but drool over the possibilities....but drool I must as I don't think I could possibly find the justification for investing that type of money.  And that's what I mean by "meat and potatoes" because I'm pretty sure most of the Helix marketplace would feel the same way about that sort of investment.  Heck, we had a hard time justifying the Helix at first!!!!

• Upvote 2

It lets you adjust the mic distance by a tenth of millimeter... Which I find hilarious.

I'll be filling this one under, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"...

And depending on just how little audible difference there is between a mic distance of 87.0 mm and 87.1 mm, this one could easily promoted to "Really?!?!?", and possibly even "Gimme a f#@%!ng" break😤", depending on how many beers I've had...ðŸ˜

I would say that the Boss is no competition - less I/O's to work with, no firmware updates (from what I know of Boss units), no 4CM routing (my history with Boss products seem to be they are only front of amp processors), mono-color display and no customizable scribble strips.  They also seem to be behind technologically speaking in emulating tube amp response.  This seems to be their first attempt to compete with Line 6 and Fractal in that realm.  The future will be interesting though as I do enjoy a few Boss products!   I haven't used a Boss processor since the GT-6, so I could be off base on a couple of these point.  

As far as Fractal, there's just no comparison due with the price point - quite frankly, the Fractal costing $2,499 better blow the Helix out of the water!  

In conclusion, I would still prefer the Helix mainly due to firmware updates and being able to use it as a pedalboard via 4CM with my Mesa's/Marshall.  

I/O looks a lot like the LT, so, yes on 4cm. As far as tube amp response, I had a Katana for a while and was very impressed. Whether their specific amp emulations are any good, we'll have to wait and see. I'm sure there will be FW updates, they're doing that with the Katanas, but I suspect they won't be as frequent or as comprehensive as the Helix updates.

Competition? for the HD500x, definitely. If you're OK with monochrome screens and multi-level menus, then the price point (if it sounds good) could make it a serious competitor for the LT and Headrush.

As for Fractal, maybe if I hit the lottery......but I wouldn't sell my Helix and go into debt to finance one.

• Upvote 1

The Necromonger in me says to go out and buy an Axe FX III as soon as it hits the streets........ after all, the geek squad call is in me......

BUT... The FURIAN in me doesn't want me to............................................................................................   aCk!!!  Thbbfftt!!!  :P  :wacko:  :unsure:

no 4CM routing (my history with Boss products seem to be they are only front of amp processors)

Huh? I’ve owned a GT-5, 6 & 8 and 4CM has always been doable on all of them and the I/O on this GT-1000 isn’t much different. The only real difference is that it has XLR connectors and an extra effects loop. Although I never owned either, I know that the GT-10 & 100 are no exception to this. All you need to do 4CM is an effects loop. In fact the early GT series were some of the first few pedals that encouraged players to use 4CM. So, I have to ask, what in tarnation are you talking about???

Huh? I’ve owned a GT-5, 6 & 8 and 4CM has always been doable on all of them and the I/O on this GT-1000 isn’t much different. The only real difference is that it has XLR connectors and an extra effects loop. Although I never owned either, I know that the GT-10 & 100 are no exception to this. All you need to do 4CM is an effects loop. In fact the early GT series were some of the first few pedals that encouraged players to use 4CM. So, I have to ask, what in tarnation are you talking about???

Well I'm not getting in line to buy that thing, but this didn't make any sense to me either...

I supposed I was incorrect.  I owned the GT-6 and only used it for direct processed signals.  4CM was a capability I was not aware of with the GT series.  If so, I might have kept it!

I supposed I was incorrect.  I owned the GT-6 and only used it for direct processed signals.  4CM was a capability I was not aware of with the GT series.  If so, I might have kept it!

Here's the bottom line.  If a pedal has an effects loop, that pretty much enables it for 4CM.

Here's the bottom line.  If a pedal has an effects loop, that pretty much enables it for 4CM.

So I just combed through the Boss GT-8 manual and I did find that those effects loops I/O were for adding in other pedals with the GT-8 signal.  I could be wrong here but I did not see anything in the manual for 4CM setup with an amp.  

So I'll revise my statement:  The Helix is more user friendly (at least for me) when setting up 4CM with amps.     :)

So I just combed through the Boss GT-8 manual and I did find that those effects loops I/O were for adding in other pedals with the GT-8 signal. I could be wrong here but I did not see anything in the manual for 4CM setup with an amp.

Ever read a $hitty manual? Me, too. Just because the manual doesn't spell it out as being "officially sanctioned", doesn't mean it won't work. There are either enough ins and outs to make it happen, or there aren't... and most of the time it's the amp you're trying to pair it with that's the limiting factor. No FX loop on the amp, no 4CM...

• Upvote 1

Ever read a $hitty manual? Me, too. Just because the manual doesn't spell it out as being "officially sanctioned", doesn't mean it won't work. There are either enough ins and outs to make it happen, or there aren't... and most of the time it's the amp you're trying to pair it with that's the limiting factor. No FX loop on the amp, no 4CM...

No worries.  I prefer the Helix anyway, so problem solved for me.