Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Parallel Compression

Tehzim

I've been reading on compression, specifically parallel compression (where a signal is split and one path goes through a compressor while the other goes as normal and then the two are mixed together).  Can this be done using a single path of the Helix and splitting the path before returning it or would I need to run a dry signal into the daw and then use a compressor from Helix native?

Could I also have the same signal path on the second Helix path (amp, effects, etc) run the signal through that with a compressor and then do it as two tracks in my DAW?  I already do a processed and dry signal.

Thanks in advance.  I'm really starting to dig into the abilities of this device.

Here's the article I got the idea from if you're more technically inclined than I.  Also what compressor model do you think would work best for this?  And where do you place it in your chain?  I usually put mine near the start before the amp to get a consistent signal.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/parallel-compression

All the compressors have a 'Mix' control so you don't need to use a parallel path, just dial the mix down from the default 100% compressed sound to allow some unprocessed signal through.

Craig

Thanks!  I'll give that a try later.

All the compressors have a 'Mix' control so you don't need to use a parallel path, just dial the mix down from the default 100% compressed sound to allow some unprocessed signal through.

Craig

Yup. ^^^^this

I always tend to drop the mix around 80-90% to bring back some energy

Me too on usually lowering the mix control. Gives you some pick attack and punch, but still add smoothness and sustain.

I wish *every* block had a mix control. Easy to understand, should take very little CPU, adds tremendous flexibility, and actually REDUCES patch complexity, since you don't need to branch your paths.

Jason Sadite's recent Helix YouTube Vids regarding How to get Great Tone from the Helix are a must watch! He provides lots of in depth coverage on Helix's Compressors and Parallel Compression techniques! In the past several weeks he's posted well over a dozen videos. And the one he posted today, regarding his edit comments of a User Provided Preset's Tone (vid #2 in that series) also covers Parallel Compression and the Mix Parameter. Highly recommended viewing! Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1