Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Considered switching from Digitech RP1000

jedisb

I am considering picking up a Firehawk FX to use in place of the Digitech RP1000 I have been using for nearly 8 years. The RP1000 actually belongs to the church where I play. A second electric guitar player has just joined the band and he doesn't really have a decent setup. I thought about passing down the RP1000 and buying my own. 

A good number of the patches I use on the RP1000 are with the Matchless Chieftain model and seeing that the Firehawk has that same model was very appealing. I did a quick search for "RP1000" on this board and found just a couple references, so not much to go on. What I like about the RP1000:

1. Designed for 4CM with both a "stomp loop" and "amp loop". Although I primary run direct with in-ear monitors, I have used 4CM a few times.

2. Dedicated foot switch/button to toggle the effects loop and amp loop on or off. You don't lose a FS by having to assign the effect loop to one.

3. The XLR out is always speaker compensated, while the 1/4" out can be set to toggle it on or off

4. Ease of use. Very easy to tweak patches on the fly without needed the PC editor

5. No lag at all when switching presets

6. Built like a tank

What I don't like:

1. Limited to a single effect of each type. I don't use a lot of modulation effects so it would be nice to swap one out for a second delay, for example.

2. Signal chain cannot be re-arranged except for placement of effect loop, which is either pre or post amp

3. Limited variety of effects. I've put a Zoom MS-70CDR in the stomp loop to help compensate for this but that thing is problematic as well as changing patches is not user friendly.

After reading through some posts here, my main concerns with the Firehawk are the supposed notable lag when changing patches as well as some of the odd artifact noises when changing patches, as well as "hold-over" notes when using the tuner. As I will be using this in a church environment, having a noise or note play because I'm tuning up during a prayer would be awkward. It would also be nice to have a speaker compensated out on the XLR while having it disabled on the 1/4" out, but that isn't a dealbreaker for me.

As I am new to Line 6 I have no idea how much difference there is between HD and non-HD models. I'm a bit concerned that the Chieftain model is not HD. Has anyone used it that can comment?

I've heard some people mention that Line 6 seems to have ignored the Firehawk and are focusing on the Helix, as far as updates, etc. I can relate to this as Digitech did the same thing with the RP1000. They abandoned it in favor if the ill-fated iPB-10, which required the use of an iPad inserted into the top of it for programming. They got slammed for that product, which is now discontinued, while the RP1000 is still for sale. Yet still no firmware updates. It didn't diminish my enjoyment of the product, as it did everything I needed it to do for the time. I had been holding out for something new from Digitech but they seem to have shifted focus to things like the Trio+.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide. I'm just looking for so reassurance that maybe my concerns are a bit to nit-picky or that I'm worrying to much.

As an owner of both Firehawk and Helix LT, it sounds to me like you would be happier with the LT if you have the budget. Snapshots eliminate Firehawk’s problem with switching lag and are really well suited to live performance. The routing in Helix is much more flexible, which will allow you to run a cab/mic sim on one set of outputs and not on the other. It works well with 4CM, although I find that FRFR monitoring unlocks its full potential. Helix loads IRs, which can be a powerful tool for the cab/mic part of the equation. It provides numbers of effects blocks that are limited only by DSP availability, and it has two DSP chips! Blocks can be placed in any order. Now that I have my LT, the Firehawk has been relegated to my gigging backup. It is still a worthy piece of gear, but in my humble opinion has been clearly eclipsed by Line6’s flagship processor! Helix runs the HX amp and cab models, which are very realistic. I used to run an RP500 into a Mesa 2:Fifty with two 1x12 Thiele cabs... that rig is collecting dust!

• Upvote 1

As an owner of both Firehawk and Helix LT, it sounds to me like you would be happier with the LT if you have the budget. Snapshots eliminate Firehawk’s problem with switching lag and are really well suited to live performance. The routing in Helix is much more flexible, which will allow you to run a cab/mic sim on one set of outputs and not on the other. It works well with 4CM, although I find that FRFR monitoring unlocks its full potential. Helix loads IRs, which can be a powerful tool for the cab/mic part of the equation. It provides numbers of effects blocks that are limited only by DSP availability, and it has two DSP chips! Blocks can be placed in any order. Now that I have my LT, the Firehawk has been relegated to my gigging backup. It is still a worthy piece of gear, but in my humble opinion has been clearly eclipsed by Line6’s flagship processor! Helix runs the HX amp and cab models, which are very realistic. I used to run an RP500 into a Mesa 2:Fifty with two 1x12 Thiele cabs... that rig is collecting dust!

Unfortunately I don't have the budget for the LT. And honestly, I don't think I'd utilize the LT to its full potential. One of the things I liked about the RP1000 was it's simplicity. That was one of the things that appealed to me about the Firehawk as well. Plus, the LT doesn't have the Matchless Chieftain model that I use so heavily on the RP1000.  It's a bit of a unique amp and I've come to rely on it heavily. The added routing flexibility of the LT would be nice but in reality, it wouldn't get used much, since I primary play at church, direct, on a silent stage.

Are the switching issues on the Firehawk really that bad?

Since your budget doesn’t support an LT, I won’t espouse the advantages any further. I do think you would enjoy the Firehawk; I certainly have. It is a great value and with a working knowledge of the deep editing parameters the HD models can produce tones almost as good as the Helix. That said, its Chieftain model (non-HD) won’t give you these deep editing parameters. I used my Firehawk for a few years in rehearsals and gigs and I learned to anticipate the preset switching lag and work around it. While it was clearly slower than my RP, I didn’t think it was a deal breaker. When I first tried Helix snapshots, I was pleasantly surprised by the complete lack of any delay in switching. So by comparison it was very noticeable.

I am considering picking up a Firehawk FX to use in place of the Digitech RP1000 I have been using for nearly 8 years. The RP1000 actually belongs to the church where I play. A second electric guitar player has just joined the band and he doesn't really have a decent setup. I thought about passing down the RP1000 and buying my own. 

A good number of the patches I use on the RP1000 are with the Matchless Chieftain model and seeing that the Firehawk has that same model was very appealing. I did a quick search for "RP1000" on this board and found just a couple references, so not much to go on. What I like about the RP1000:

1. Designed for 4CM with both a "stomp loop" and "amp loop". Although I primary run direct with in-ear monitors, I have used 4CM a few times.

2. Dedicated foot switch/button to toggle the effects loop and amp loop on or off. You don't lose a FS by having to assign the effect loop to one.

3. The XLR out is always speaker compensated, while the 1/4" out can be set to toggle it on or off

4. Ease of use. Very easy to tweak patches on the fly without needed the PC editor

5. No lag at all when switching presets

6. Built like a tank

What I don't like:

1. Limited to a single effect of each type. I don't use a lot of modulation effects so it would be nice to swap one out for a second delay, for example.

2. Signal chain cannot be re-arranged except for placement of effect loop, which is either pre or post amp

3. Limited variety of effects. I've put a Zoom MS-70CDR in the stomp loop to help compensate for this but that thing is problematic as well as changing patches is not user friendly.

After reading through some posts here, my main concerns with the Firehawk are the supposed notable lag when changing patches as well as some of the odd artifact noises when changing patches, as well as "hold-over" notes when using the tuner. As I will be using this in a church environment, having a noise or note play because I'm tuning up during a prayer would be awkward. It would also be nice to have a speaker compensated out on the XLR while having it disabled on the 1/4" out, but that isn't a dealbreaker for me.

As I am new to Line 6 I have no idea how much difference there is between HD and non-HD models. I'm a bit concerned that the Chieftain model is not HD. Has anyone used it that can comment?

I've heard some people mention that Line 6 seems to have ignored the Firehawk and are focusing on the Helix, as far as updates, etc. I can relate to this as Digitech did the same thing with the RP1000. They abandoned it in favor if the ill-fated iPB-10, which required the use of an iPad inserted into the top of it for programming. They got slammed for that product, which is now discontinued, while the RP1000 is still for sale. Yet still no firmware updates. It didn't diminish my enjoyment of the product, as it did everything I needed it to do for the time. I had been holding out for something new from Digitech but they seem to have shifted focus to things like the Trio+.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide. I'm just looking for so reassurance that maybe my concerns are a bit to nit-picky or that I'm worrying to much.

I never got into my firehawk the whole tablet bluetooth setup to change amps effects just didnt do it for me.I have an lt and sine then i stopped using my firehawk Rp1000 and line podhd bean.So think about another option the play as you pay on zzsounds,I used that and its great or a POD hd 500.