Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XLR Fixed My Hum

specracer986

In my practice room, I've always hooked my Helix up to my DXR12 with a 1/4" cable. When I would attach the USB line from my computer I would have an annoying hum. Livable, but annoying. Last night I used an XLR cable to connect the Helix / DXR12, and no hum. That was a pleasant surprise. 

Yeah, my guess is that a 1/4 inch balanced cable would have had the same result as the XLR. I've only just realized recently how much balanced cables can make in all sorts of setups and situations.

Maybe, I say this because the 1/4 outs on Helix are not balanced.

I'm guessing the extra shielding on the XLR cable help then?

It's in most cases not the shielding, but the fact that a balanced connection has the ability to "automatically" filter out most interference. I generally recommend to use balanced connexctions whenever possible.

And be aware of fake "balanced" connections. If you have a cable with an XLR connextor on one end and a mono 1/4" on the other, chances are you'll get a lot of nasty hum when using it because it can't be balanced.