Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Accessing additional effects HX

sanctuaryofsoul

It’s on page 28. Hit the Menu button and then press the switch that says Signal Flow.

Hey Phil

Yeah I wasn’t clear on my end what I wanted so go figure lol. My issue is this, I want a pedal mode where I can scroll through all nine effects. Is this possible? If I’m just missing I apologize.

I think the answer is you can't access the additional 3 effects in Stompbox mode, yes you can in Pedal Edit mode and Signal flow mode, but those are editing modes and not necessarily performance modes.

Of course you could do it via a MIDI controller but..................

Basically you only have access to 6 effects during live playing without having to go to an Edit mode/Signal Flow. One way to make this work is if you are using a FX Loop noise gate or an effect that you never really need to see or edit live. Load all 6 effects you wish to use and turn On/Off live first. Then use signal flow to add the other effects, if all 6 blocks are full these will not show up in stompbox mode but are there and can be edited in signal flow mode.

The manual was written as if the user had previous Helix Experience, which is a mistake. Many will buy the HX Effects as their first Line 6 product or product in the Helix series.

If you want to be able to turn more than just six blocks on and off with the footswitches, the solution to that is snapshots. Then you can arrange the bypass stages of every block in your chain and save that configuration in a snapshot. This requires you to step back from the one effect/one footswitch paradigm. In the end, it’s a lot more convenient. On my Helix, I have some presets where I never even assigned any effects to footswitches because I just do everything with snapshots.

Explain this then :)

Just not understanding why have 9 effects if you have no access to scrolling to those effects.

Well, for one thing, there are some blocks, like the FX loops or noise gates, for example, that you might not want to turn on and off with a footswitch. You also have the ability to assign more than one effect to a footswitch.

You have access to editing those effects by going to the Signal Flow view or Pedal Edit Mode.

Basically, if you want to use the HXFX as a simple one effect per footswitch pedal, you can. In that case, it would be more like have six stomps in front of you. But, if you want to use as a more advanced multi-FX, and something more like a pedal switcher, you would want to look at using snapshots. That way instead of always turning individual pedals on and off, you are creating custom configurations of the blocks in your preset for each snapshot.

Helix owner who just got HX Effects :) .  Trying to wrap my head around the best way to set this up for my use given the 6 footswitch constraint.  Snapshots are certainly one way to accomplish this but it's a different paradigm if looking at the HX Effects as a pedalboard replacement and access to those fx that are present but not assigned to a footswitch.

It hit me that presets are probably the way to go as I don't need access to all fx for every song so why not simply add/remove them as needed by using different presets?  The idea is simple, some songs I don't use my delay, some I don't use the tremolo, chorus, etc. etc.  So my thought is to build presets for the various situations, which is akin to taking pedals off my board for songs where they aren't used.  To me that feels more aligned with how I'm thinking of using the HX Effects like a std. pedalboard.  I will of course experiment with Snapshots as well but right now this feels like the best answer for my situation.

That's exactly how I approached HXFX, I basically dialed in one standard clean setting, little bit of compressor that's on all the time so doesn't need to waste a switch on it. Then I made four presets with slightly different configurations of pedals. Ina lot of cases the exact same effect across two or more (like i use a fairly specific vibe sound so put that in all four). Here's the logic, when I'm playing gigs I have often run into issues where presets can just be all over the place volume-wise when put through a pa or if I'm using the house amp. So this is like four slightly different Pedal configurations (four just because it keeps them all on one bank).

It's been great. Like a multi FX unit but really with the workflow of insidividual stomps and no amps or cabs to distract me.

• 1 month later...