Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Error 8214

jwoertz

I just received my HX Effects, did the firmware update and am getting an error # 8214 in HX Edit. HX Edit appears to be OK and is the latest version. Anyone else have the same issue? I can see the list of patches but can't edit. Screenshot attached.

post-56351-0-36451300-1517428397_thumb.png

Totally the same. Got HX effects today, cracked it out of the box and immediately threw 2.50 firmware update. Installed HX Edit and got exact same error you displayed on startup. Still seems to be able to do things like move presets, change presets, rename presets from software so maybe benign error, but you are not alone

Installed HX Edit and got exact same error you displayed on startup.

Don't ya just love those contractual deadlines regarding release dates? Those lawyers never seem to hear the QA dept. screaming their heads off....

Just spitballing here because I only have a Helix. Is there a global reset option on the HX Effects? I wonder if it might help to backup the presets, do a global reset, and then restore the presets. If the HX Effects is anything like the Helix you will have to restart the HX Effects one last time after the restore to allow the presets to rebuild.

Not saying this is the case but a lot of people would also get errors similar to this from the Helix due to either a corrupt preset or zero length IR or because even though they had updated the firmware they had neglected to download the latest version of the Editor. Make sure you check the About section in the Editor menu and ensure that you have the newest version that matches your firmware version. Also, sometimes it is best to actually uninstall the old Editor version and then reinstall.

Update: You can probably disregard my suggested possible fixes above. Judging by later posts in this thread this may be a known issue with, barring an interim fix(always possible), Line6 planning to release a fully functional editor for the HX Effects at some point in the spring.

I had a support ticket on this. It's a known issue internally, and no fix was offered. If I had to guess, it probably has to do with HX Edit not fully supporting HX Effects (this is listed in the HX Edit release notes, but not discussed in the PR material). I'll probably be returning mine, as being able to edit patches from the computer was a major reason behind my purchase. Earliest fix won't be until spring (also in the HX Edit release notes).

I had a support ticket on this. It's a known issue internally, and no fix was offered. If I had to guess, it probably has to do with HX Edit not fully supporting HX Effects (this is listed in the HX Edit release notes, but not discussed in the PR material). I'll probably be returning mine, as being able to edit patches from the computer was a major reason behind my purchase. Earliest fix won't be until spring (also in the HX Edit release notes).

I see the comment you are referring to in the release notes.

- HX Effects support: HX Effects can now utilize the HX Edit application as a preset librarian and IR loader. Full preset editing capability is coming to HX Edit spring of 2018

Sorry to hear this. Gonna be a long Winter for HX Effects owners if they wait until Spring to fix this. For what it's worth it is not that unusual in the industry for it to take a bit after the release of a device for the Editor to appear and judging by the "Full preset editing" capability comment it sounds like you might be able to stumble along with partial functionality until then. Not an ideal scenario I grant you. 

Did you actually get a response in your support ticket that this was the cause of this error message?

I have the same error, and have opened a ticket, but not received a response, but it sounds like it will be an identical story.  Kicker is, as long as the default presets are loaded, you can't do a Create Backup.  I can save individual presets off fine.  So I think it is preset related. I will try to delete them to see if that will work,

Edit - I deleted the default presets, doesn't help, still won't backup all, only individual presets.  Ok - I think I'll wait for 2.51 at this point.  

Edit - Got same response - they are aware of it.

RE ''ll probably be returning mine, as being able to edit patches from the computer was a major reason behind my purchase. Earliest fix won't be until spring (also in the HX Edit release notes).'

Honestly, you shouldn't. I've had the Effects two days now and it's utterly amazing. The workflow of editing presets\effects on the unit itself is so well thought out. I'm actually really glad Line 6 released HX Edit with library functions for backing up etc instead of waiting for full functionality. To be fair, in every promo I saw and Namm interview they always mentioned that HX Edit wouldn't have actual effect editing functionality until Spring so no surprises.

Dial in a few tones, especially the new Reverbs which are utterly amazing, and then thank yourself for holding onto the thing.

RE ''ll probably be returning mine, as being able to edit patches from the computer was a major reason behind my purchase. Earliest fix won't be until spring (also in the HX Edit release notes).'

Honestly, you shouldn't. I've had the Effects two days now and it's utterly amazing. The workflow of editing presets\effects on the unit itself is so well thought out. I'm actually really glad Line 6 released HX Edit with library functions for backing up etc instead of waiting for full functionality. To be fair, in every promo I saw and Namm interview they always mentioned that HX Edit wouldn't have actual effect editing functionality until Spring so no surprises.

Dial in a few tones, especially the new Reverbs which are utterly amazing, and then thank yourself for holding onto the thing.

Sounds like sound advice. If I remember correctly the Helix only had a library function app when it was first released and I must say it was still well worth using the Helix until the full Editor arrived. Some devices never get Editors or they have to be written by a third unaffiliated party so you are already ahead of the game.