Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help! New to HX Effects (and Helix) - Switch from Milliseconds to BPM? Deactivate Tap?

nmcasale

Hoping to find some help here as I'm really struggling to dial in my delays on the HX Effects coming from my DD-500 and Timeline. I'm loving so much about this pedal but have to say really not enjoying the interface so far but it might be due to user error.

I like to set a BPM and then note subdivisions for all delay sounds and my band uses a lot of very carefully tuned delay patches. The DD-500 and Timeline both do this easily and extremely well. I realize on the HX you can do this on presets by touching the Tap button, set the BPM and then set the tempo to a subdivision. This works great provided no other pedals in that preset or "board" use tap tempo because as soon as the tap is tapped the carefully timed delay is all out of whack even if it's deactivated.

For example: pedal 1 is a delay w/ a carefully set bpm and subdivision - pedal 2 is a modulation that I want to experiement w/ tap tempos. As soon as this happens, even if the delay is deactivated the delay is completely out of time with the song. 

The only other alternative seems to be to use Ms as a tempo - this doesn't work for me - is there a way to switch to BPM?

Is it possible to set the delay time via this method and then deactivate the tap switch for that preset? 

Help! 

Thank you.

Hi Nmcasale,

For time based effects such as Delay and Modulation, the 'Rate' or 'Time' of the effect can be switched from Milliseconds to note subdivision by pressing down on the knob controlling the effects time, which is Knob 1. Keep in mind that the tap tempo does not effect timing on effects set to Milliseconds, only note subdivision. 

When you tap (not press) the Tap Tempo to bring up the tempo parameters you have the option to set the tempo to be globally (which will set the tempo for every preset), per snapshot, or per preset.

When set to per preset you can have different BPM's set for each preset. This option is what you want to use when using multiple presets in your band that have variable BPM's.

In addition, If everything you need only takes up one preset, you can set up snapshots within the same preset which you can edit to have which ever effects on/off, parameter and BPM changes all within the same preset, think of it as having presets within a preset. 

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions!

Hoping to find some help here as I'm really struggling to dial in my delays on the HX Effects coming from my DD-500 and Timeline. I'm loving so much about this pedal but have to say really not enjoying the interface so far but it might be due to user error.

I like to set a BPM and then note subdivisions for all delay sounds and my band uses a lot of very carefully tuned delay patches. The DD-500 and Timeline both do this easily and extremely well. I realize on the HX you can do this on presets by touching the Tap button, set the BPM and then set the tempo to a subdivision. This works great provided no other pedals in that preset or "board" use tap tempo because as soon as the tap is tapped the carefully timed delay is all out of whack even if it's deactivated.

For example: pedal 1 is a delay w/ a carefully set bpm and subdivision - pedal 2 is a modulation that I want to experiement w/ tap tempos. As soon as this happens, even if the delay is deactivated the delay is completely out of time with the song. 

The only other alternative seems to be to use Ms as a tempo - this doesn't work for me - is there a way to switch to BPM?

Is it possible to set the delay time via this method and then deactivate the tap switch for that preset? 

Help! 

Thank you.

It seems to me that one of the great advantages of using a multi-FX like the HXFX is having the ability to sync everything together with on tap. What you're describing is more like having several standalone pedals, each with their individual tap tempo control. It's kind of a different use case... I actually don't know of any multi-FX that would really behave in that way.

I'm a little confused as to why if you were tapping in a new tempo for the modulation why that tempo would be out of time. Unless, I guess, you're just kind of tapping random intervals. One thing you may want to consider is assigning the modulation's rate parameter to an expression pedal. That way could adjust it without actually tapping. You could set it actual Hz values, or you could use note values and have the expression pedal sweep between the values.

• Upvote 1

It seems to me that one of the great advantages of using a multi-FX like the HXFX is having the ability to sync everything together with on tap. What you're describing is more like having several standalone pedals, each with their individual tap tempo control. It's kind of a different use case... I actually don't know of any multi-FX that would really behave in that way.

I'm a little confused as to why if you were tapping in a new tempo for the modulation why that tempo would be out of time. Unless, I guess, you're just kind of tapping random intervals. One thing you may want to consider is assigning the modulation's rate parameter to an expression pedal. That way could adjust it without actually tapping. You could set it actual Hz values, or you could use note values and have the expression pedal sweep between the values.

It would be purely for experimentation / jamming or trying to create weird sounds/layers. In short, it would be REALLY great to be able to just set a BPM / Subdivision per block, without the TAP, much like you can now with MS. The ability to have BPM control and toggle "Tap On" or "Tap Off" would be a welcome addition. I would think way more players rely on BPM vs MS, just from my experience - especially anyone even remotely involved with electronic music of any kind. 

I'm getting the hang of it, but it's not ideal for us BPM guys. Thanks for the reply.

• 3 years later...
On 8/5/2021 at 8:27 PM, jimmycardinale said:

i purchased a used HX effects, the tap tempo is not blinking, where to i adjust the Tap "ON" function?

Hi,

You will find it here:

Global settings > Displays > Tap LED (knob2).

Also see Page 48 - HX Effects 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev B - English

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a40c86b5fb6a4d12575c/application/pdf/HX Effects 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev B - English .pdf

When you are a new user, it’s generally advisable to read the manual, and familiarise yourself with the basic operations of the device.

Hope this helps/makes sense.