Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effexts- Customized names won't copy........ bug?!?!?

jerrymcp

This is a HX Effects question that may also occur in the Helix. . When I copy an effects block with a customized scribble strip name to another location, the effect will paste but NOT the name i gave it. Do you have to re-title every effect you copy from preset to preset?

I think this is the expected behavior. The custom names are tied to the footswitch/scribble strip, not the effects block. This is how it works on the other Helix products as well. You can have multiple effects assigned to a switch, so I imagine that's why it's the way it is.

• Upvote 1

That's a drag. Since you can't setup defaults for effects, the workaround is to store banks of "favorite" settings and copy and paste them around. It would REALLY be nice if those scribble strips could copy/paste with the effect.

Any ideas on other workarounds for this?

I think Tehzim may have the answer here. Set up some preset/snapshot "templates" that have your preferred scribble strip names and their corresponding footswitch assignments and start off your new presets by copying in either the entire preset or the snapshot you prefer from your template. That should save you some time renaming stomps as well as assigning them. Many people use footswitches for the same type of stomp, e.g. distortion in the same footswitch position in every preset anyway.

As phil_m points out, it appears that, per design, names are tied to the assignment right now and this does sound like the intended behavior. Given the current architecture to do what you are asking would require some new and fairly complex behavior on the HX Effects(or Helix) where you had an "Assignment Copy" function that not only copied all the stomps potentially assigned to a footswitch but also any CV or MIDI commands. Not to speak of having to reconcile issues like the fact that the preset you are trying to copy into may not have enough blocks or DSP left for everything connected to that footswitch assignment. Also, what order would it put those blocks in, especially if those blocks were already allotted to other effects? You would have to have some kind of "override" prompt that just overlayed them on top of whatever blocks you already had set up in that preset. I think this would probably be a fairly substantial and labor intensive coding operation and unlikely to happen any time soon or maybe ever. However, maybe they could pull this off as they already have the footswitch swap capability coded in. That would appear to be a much simpler operation though. Or I guess they could provide a simpler extremely limited assignment copy that only worked on single stomp assignments and brought the name and maybe the LED ring color along.

If Line6 gets around at some point to providing some custom slots where you can save an effect with a custom name and your preferred settings you may get your wish without having to use a "template" copy and paste approach. I know that feature has gotten a lot of upvotes on Ideascale. Either way, even if you had custom effects blocks you would have to copy them in and then still potentially have to manually assign them to a footswitch. One way or another some manual interaction is going to be required.

Since a footswitch can control multiple blocks, turning some on and some off, and also control multiple parameters of multiple blocks, I doubt there will ever be a "copy block and its custom footswitch label" feature. Just doesn't make sense.

Since a footswitch can control multiple blocks, turning some on and some off, and also control multiple parameters of multiple blocks, I doubt there will ever be a "copy block and its custom footswitch label" feature. Just doesn't make sense.

Not sure if you were referring to my comment above, if so, allow me to clarify. If they ever do provide the ability to fill a few slots in each effects category(Mod, Delay, etc.) with your own customized copy of a block with the parameters that you always use pre-selected, chances are you would be allowed to name it whatever you wanted to differentiate it from the effect names already provided by Line6. In other words you might rename your customized version of the Vermin distortion "MyVermin". Since the default behavior of the scribble strips already is to reflect whatever effect name you assign to the footswitch, your footswitch would automatically pick up on your custom name, as it does now with the Line6 names and read "MyVermin". That is why I was saying if user customized blocks get added in a future update he might get his wish at least on the issue of not having to rename the effect. They will still have to be assigned to a footswitch manually but I would think would show up with your cutom name. Pure speculation though, who knows what the future holds.