Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.50 - What are you most looking forward to?

TheGFB

Shame this positive thread about what elements people were looking forward to in 2.50 to descended into another moan - and a moan about moaners. Give yourselves a round of applause.

So let me see if I've got this straight...you're moaning about moaners, who themselves were lamenting "original moans", if you will. I believe this qualifies as "moaning twice removed". If anything is deserving of applause, this is it! 😂

Question for DI: Would this be considered serial or parallel moaning? 😉

Some friendly suggestions I thought of adding to the Helix. Forgive me if I'm wrong and you can already do some of these things. If there's a way, I haven't discovered it yet.

1. I would like to see the flagship Helix get another mic input added. Then upgrade the LT to have just 1 direct mic input.

2. Specific drop down tune/capo up tune setting that does what the Digitech Drop or EHX Pitch Fork pedals can do. Basically allowing you to drop your guitar tuning down in half step increments or up (like a capo) in half step increments. It's great for people with FR guitars who can't stop mid set to re-tune for 1 or 2 songs.

3. A built in guitar sustainer effect would be nice with optional harmonic effects.

4. Acoustic guitar simulation. Using your electric guitar to sound like an acoustic guitar.

5. Easier to use interface. People love simplicity. The easier it is to understand the broader the appeal to a mass audience.

6. Perhaps an option where the digital display will show you exactly what notes you're playing, chords you're playing, or what key you're playing in.

7. Drum/beat and bass backing tracks that are easy to create and change.

I think some folks might have been hard on this list, but I'd like to address it, too. Not all your ideas are so "horrible"

1. Helix is not designed to mix your whole band. It just isn't. Get a mixer. More than one XLR in would add cost that would not be worth it to a VAST majority of users.

2. I think this is a fantastic idea that I hope will make it into the box, really. I don't want it personally, but think that a LOT of people do. Find it on idea scale and vote it up.

3. I'm not sure how this would be accomplished, but it's another cool idea.

4. This is really do-able with some third-party IR from 3 Sigma now, so I think maybe it would be possible to make into a cab-style block in Helix.

5. Sorry, you lost me here. It's ridiculously easy to use now. Can't imagine how it could be easier without being less sophisticated and capable.

6. Not sure how easy or hard this is, but that is kinda cool. Logic Pro does this with MIDI data, I think it's probably possible with note data derived from audio. But I don't know how many actually want or need this.

7. This is not something I think should be in a pro-level box. That's, no offense, a very "amateur" feature.

I'm not a huge effects user, so I'm looking forward to the Lone Star and Friedman BE-100 preamps.  

I just started playing around with the preamps/FX loop into my Mesa TC-100 and holy hell - these preamps sound great through the tube power amp section!  

I particularly dig the PRS Archon preamp.  Almost sounds better than the TC-100 preamp......almost.

This has totally changed my mindset on the Helix as I was only using it for a standard pedalboard 4cm setup.  

Now I'm realizing how much I can do with and after 2 months of ownership, feel like I've just opened a whole new world of tones at my disposal. 

The metal zone is a big one for me - most of the distortion in the Helix feels closer to overdrive and doesn't have the bite I'm after. I'd prefer the metal zone to be remodelled for the Helix but this will do at a push.

Of the other older effects, I'm just looking forward to them helping me with a migration path from my old Pod XT Live. I've been able to port over some of my old tones by trying to match the gear, adding matched settings, and then going on a listen/analyse/tweak/repeat mission for quite some time. Having more faithful reproductions of the older effects will cut a lot of the uncertainty out of this process - and I can always upgrade to HX effects later once I've got the baseline in place.

Me too. 

I am new to the Helix line, but i could not find a good "metal" stompbox model. I found that tweaking the bias of the high gain amps gave me exactly what i needed. I then mapped a footswitch to increase gain from say 4 to 9 when activated. It totally opened up that metal world that i was not finding. 

I think some folks might have been hard on this list, but I'd like to address it, too. Not all your ideas are so "horrible"

1. Helix is not designed to mix your whole band. It just isn't. Get a mixer. More than one XLR in would add cost that would not be worth it to a VAST majority of users.

2. I think this is a fantastic idea that I hope will make it into the box, really. I don't want it personally, but think that a LOT of people do. Find it on idea scale and vote it up.

3. I'm not sure how this would be accomplished, but it's another cool idea.

4. This is really do-able with some third-party IR from 3 Sigma now, so I think maybe it would be possible to make into a cab-style block in Helix.

5. Sorry, you lost me here. It's ridiculously easy to use now. Can't imagine how it could be easier without being less sophisticated and capable.

6. Not sure how easy or hard this is, but that is kinda cool. Logic Pro does this with MIDI data, I think it's probably possible with note data derived from audio. But I don't know how many actually want or need this.

7. This is not something I think should be in a pro-level box. That's, no offense, a very "amateur" feature.

Thank you for the reply.

1. I am new to the world of Helix, having just got the Helix LT yesterday. What is the easiest way to run a microphone into the Helix LT since it doesn't have the dedicated XLR mic input?

2, 3, and 4 are probably the additions I'd most like to see

5. You're absolutely right it's easy to use. I was referring to adding touch screen features. For example, making a brand new preset on a touchscreen with drag and drop would probably be a bit faster than the knob. I would still keep the knobs as backup though.

6. Certainly not a necessary upgrade but Garageband and Logic Pro X have it when you're connected via MIDI. I thought it might be a nice option to have. Maybe your band is improvising and your guitar player changed keys. The guitar player is standing 20 feet away (assuming he's using a wireless guitar connection) so the bass player just looks down at the Helix and sees "Oh he changed over to D major". Could be useful.

7. I mainly suggested that because I'm a drummer as well as a guitar player. I have a Roland TD11KV that I might throw into the Helix and see what comes out for recording purposes.

The more I tinker with the Helix LT, the more I'm learning. Youtube and these forums provide a lot of great information! I do wish there was a forum thread and more YT videos devoted to just the Helix LT. Sometimes I'll be watching a video and they're using scribble strips or all 4 of their send/returns which you can't do on the LT.

Thank you for the reply.

1. I am new to the world of Helix, having just got the Helix LT yesterday. What is the easiest way to run a microphone into the Helix LT since it doesn't have the dedicated XLR mic input?

2, 3, and 4 are probably the additions I'd most like to see

5. You're absolutely right it's easy to use. I was referring to adding touch screen features. For example, making a brand new preset on a touchscreen with drag and drop would probably be a bit faster than the knob. I would still keep the knobs as backup though.

6. Certainly not a necessary upgrade but Garageband and Logic Pro X have it when you're connected via MIDI. I thought it might be a nice option to have. Maybe your band is improvising and your guitar player changed keys. The guitar player is standing 20 feet away (assuming he's using a wireless guitar connection) so the bass player just looks down at the Helix and sees "Oh he changed over to D major". Could be useful.

7. I mainly suggested that because I'm a drummer as well as a guitar player. I have a Roland TD11KV that I might throw into the Helix and see what comes out for recording purposes.

The more I tinker with the Helix LT, the more I'm learning. Youtube and these forums provide a lot of great information! I do wish there was a forum thread and more YT videos devoted to just the Helix LT. Sometimes I'll be watching a video and they're using scribble strips or all 4 of their send/returns which you can't do on the LT.

1. I think that the only way that will provide acceptable results is to use a mic pre (even an old Mackie 1202 mixer would do the trick).

4. with the right IR, you can do acoustic simulation that's awesome now. If this is super important to you, I suggest you invest in a PowerBridge for a guitar and see your life change. (Video below).

5. Touch screen is something they tested when they were designing it and determined it actually didn't make things easier. I don't think you'll see it. It's, honestly, a gimmick on the vastly inferior Headrush.

6. I don't think it'll be useful that way, the bass player needs to know I'm going to D BEFORE I do.

I hope you enjoy your Helix journey!

here's your acoustic from electric video.

I'm rather new to that business of putting any kind of dirt before an already dirty amp, although I know it's been done for ages. I've always thought that if I didn't find the character and tone I was looking for in some amp, I'd be better off looking for it somewhere else. Since my first Pod (v1 bean), that "looking somewere else" has been easier, as easy as selecting a different model, but before that, I had to make do with what I had, and hopefully, EQ the hell out of it until I got there. Then came the Pod, with better, faster and easier results.
My view hasn't changed that much, I mean, I look for the tone and character in the amp, but sometimes, an 808 (settings 1, 5, 8 for me) turns an "almost ok" into a "hell yeah".
So I've been trying pretty much every dirt pedal (virtual and real) I have, in front of dirty amps to get a different twist, and that includes a metal zone. For me, the Sonic Distortion model in Helix, is more than enough in both gain and note definition to pair with a high gain amp and get a metal sound. As always, ymmv...